Bread without sugar?

Discussion in 'Bread' started by ILoveMyGuitar, Feb 24, 2008.

1. ILoveMyGuitar

ILoveMyGuitar Member

I don't own a bread machine, but I've been wanting to bake bread for a while now, and I don't want to use sugar or white flour. Can I just substitute honey for the sugar? If so, do I just use the same amount as I would sugar? Or does anybody have any good recipes for 100% whole wheat bread without sugar? Thanks for any help. I'm really looking forward to making my own.

Peace :)

2. zihger

zihger Senior Member

I never use sugar in my bread, it always turns out good, the recipes I use call of a 1/3 cup of sugar and I started leaving it out and didn’t notice any difference so I never use it now.

I don’t know any 100% whole-wheat recipes that would be some stout bread!! Usually people use 1/5 or ¼ whole wheat I think.

I use unbleached flour and 1/5 whole wheat or oat flour. I don’t know much about bread I just use one basic recipe it turns out good, until I eat some an old grandma has made then it makes mine look pathetic.

3. JerryWobbles

JerryWobbles Member

maybe try some honey yeah,or brown rice syrup

4. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Eucalyptus honey imparts an interesting flavor and makes a much nicer, moister loaf than the regular sugar. Knead for at least 10 minutes: time yourself because it's a long time. Rap the loaf with your knuckles; if it sounds hollow, it's done.

5. stalk

stalk Banned

I never use honey or sugar in my bread, ever.

Try coconut oil....yum.

6. torz

torz Member

i've never put sugar in bread, infact when my sister told me she cut the amount of sugar she used in her bread maker i was kind of baffled & asked her why she put sugar in anyway. its not something i have ever heard of.

i dont own a bread maker, i much prefure to make my bread by hand. i find kneeding the dough quite threaputic & the more you kneed the nicer the bread seems to come out. here in the UK you can buy wholemeal bread flour to make wholemeal bread it just takes a bit longer to sort out.

if you make white bread using white flour you just mix the ingredients together, kneed & leave to rise under a tea towel before baking.

making wholemeal bread you mix the ingrediants together, kneed for as long as you can. leave the dough to rise for a few hours then go back to the dough & kneed it for aslong as you can again & leave it to rise for another two hours. if you want to kneed it again after this second rising time you can but itsnt always neccary.

you can add lodes of stuff to bread, why not try cheesey bread by throwing some grated cheese in to the ingrediants, or some seeds (pumpkin, poppy, flack, seasamy seeds just to name a few), what about some onion (onion & poppy seed is lovely), sun dryed tomato bread, banana bread, oat bread. the would is your oyster, go experiment.

7. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

I'm a mixer in an artisan bakery and none of our bread is sweetened with sugar (with a few seasonal exceptions). Our seven grain wheat has among other things, cornmeal and oat flakes in it and that gives it a nice sweetness. Honey wheat is another big seller.

8. Add some raisins if you want