which is more important the 1st of 5th amendment?

Discussion in 'Activist Polls' started by GregTheMagician, Feb 15, 2008.

1. GregTheMagician

GregTheMagician Senior Member

i was talking about it from the standpoint of a criminal case.

cop says: "you're drinking alcohol, are you 21?"
    you don't have to say that you aren't, and you don't have to lie about it (which would probably get you even more fucked). you don't have to incriminate yourself in that case.

2. Skizm

Skizm Member

It allows people to remain silent in self-incriminating circumstances. When it comes to identifying yourself to a police officer, it depends on how one interprets the constitution. Those in favor of expanded law enforcement power say you should have to identify yourself. Those in favor of restricted law enforcement power say you shouldn't. I personally believe that silence should NEVER lead to a detention. NEVER, unless you've been subpoenaed.

3. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Thanks. I guess that is the issue. I'm no expert, but it seems odd that after all these years that issue hasn't been settled.

4. Skizm

Skizm Member

Thus is the beauty of a capitalist nation. We don't get shit done until 8 years after it matters.

5. Rainbow.wine

Rainbow.wine Member

you have the right of free speech but it can and will be held against you. You have the right to remain silent but that also can and will be held against you. either way you are pretty much fucked.

6. mdoss2202

mdoss2202 Member

the first amendment is THE most important part of the united states constitution. without it we'd all be in jeopardy of becoming slaves to the man in no time.

7. RainbowUnicorn

RainbowUnicorn Member

Well, I'd have to say that the First Amendment is more important, for sure! :)

8. fragility-1523

fragility-1523 Member

"I don't agree with what you're saying, but I'd die for your right to say it"

I think freedom of speech is definately my vote on this. Even though i'm not American.. doh. :eek: