itchy tattoos and white bumps?

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by XBloodyNailPolishX, Jan 22, 2008.

1. XBloodyNailPolishX

XBloodyNailPolishX Forgetful Philosopher

I have a few tattoos on my legs and a Geisha on my right arm... One thing I've noticed, is that long after they've healed, they have itchy spells... like, my geisha (a pretty big piece) tends to itch every once in a while. Or sometimes my Z? tattoo (my second tattoo) itches like mad when I'm sleeping sometimes. Doesn't bother me much, scratch it and it goes away... but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
    Also, I have a couple white spots on my geisha tattoo; rarely noticable, but look like white heads or clogged pores, and they're only on my tattoo... they itch a bit too... like I said, you can't really see them from a distance, but up close they are visible. Once again, what's up with that?
    Thanks in advance
    BTW I do use lotion... nothing scented or that irritates my skin though.

2. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Itching sounds like a minor allergic reaction to one of the inks. If it only itches on a specific color, that is likely it. I get it with reds when my other allergies are flaring up. A claritin helps.

The white bumps could be little in grown. In growns and plugged glands are common in newly healed areas and sometimes occur in older healed work.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...don't scratch your ink. Even when they're healed, this can lead to irritation, very light scarring/thickening of skin, and less vibrant tattoos.

Cheers

3. SMOKEE420

SMOKEE420 Member

It wont bother ur tattoo if u scratch it when it is healed i do it all the time.

Use A&D cream for ur tats it helps with the itch and everything.

White bumps probably could be nothing but to make sure i would call a Tattoo Studio and ask them cuz they know what they are talking bout.

Peace&Love

4. Barabajagal1967

Barabajagal1967 Member

i have john lennons face on my foot and that one seems to itch sometimes. only that tattoo and always right on it. i thought it was weird to. but it rarely happens

5. stormyy

stormyy Member

6. farrah1423

farrah1423 Guest

i have also been experiencing this in tattoos ive had a while and like a few other people have said its only on the red parts i also find these slightly itchy and i dont no what they are ive spoke to my artist n he said they should just go on there own. ive heard thatit can b a reaction but i find this strange as nearly all my tattoos have red in them but this has only happened to 2 of them x

7. barefootlocks

barefootlocks Senior Member

Hmmm... Never thought too much about it, but it s only my red tattoo that itches.

8. lynzxx

lynzxx Senior Member

you might be allergic to red ink :-/ its pretty common for people to be allergic to just red ink!

9. shoelace2

shoelace2 Guest

the edward scissorhands on my arm itchs at times and the white bumps randomly show up its common and nothing to worry about. A lot of it has to do where the tattoo is on the body just because the skin is different all over the body. Hope that helps!

10. Spookytheferret

Spookytheferret Member

yeah this has happened to me, it can be caused by a few things, but generally it can be caused by weather changes, or if you're sweating a lot (sweat can't go through tattoos) whenever this happens to me i shower my tat with cold water and put lotion on it. doing this a couple times usually makes it go away.