help me discover a homemade paint thinner!

Discussion in 'Art' started by EcchiSketchie, Jan 21, 2008.

1. EcchiSketchie

EcchiSketchie Member

So after two years of sitting on my ass, twiddling my thumbs, I decide to pick up a paint brush again. Got my easil, paint, canvas, idea, the works...
    I finish the background, think to myself "okay, I'll let this dry, because to do the fine touches I'm going to be touching my hand to the canvas [newb-alert]"
    I gather my brushes and such to clean them, and realize ever-so dramatically, that I am without paint thinner... and it's 3:30 in the morning.
    So my question here is, "IS there a homemade version of paint thinner for oil paints?"
    I know my brushes are probably screwed tonight, but if this ever happens again, damn.
    That and the closure.
    I need the closure.

2. Beckner420

Beckner420 troll

hmm... Peroxide, vodka, some strong cleaning solvent.

3. EcchiSketchie

EcchiSketchie Member

Vodka eh?
    Well, what I ended up doing to soaking the brushes in hot water and rubbing alcohol, then the next day used a grease cutting soap on them.

4. turmoil

turmoil Member

You could always keep the brushes in stand or linseed oil until you could purchase solvent. I'd guess even a cooking oil would work.

5. zenloki

zenloki Member

soap and water always worked for me.

6. Magical Fire Lady

Magical Fire Lady Senior Member

I've heard of people using olive oil, the only thing is if you paint with it it kinda taints the color