Hacking Democracy

Discussion in 'Activist Polls' started by gillphish02, Jan 17, 2008.

1. gillphish02

gillphish02 Member

2. gillphish02

gillphish02 Member

This cautionary documentary exposes the vulnerability of computers - which count approximately 80% of America's votes in county, state and federal elections - suggesting that if our votes aren't safe, then our democracy isn't safe either.
    The documentary exposes the dangers of voting machines used during America's mid term and presidential elections. Electronic voting machines count approximately 90% of America's votes in county, state and federal elections. The technology is also increasingly being used across the world, including in Canada, the United Kingdom, Europe and Latin America. Filmed over three years this exposé follows the investigations of a team of citizen activists and hackers as they take on the electronic voting industry, targeting the Diebold corporation.

"Hacking Democracy" uncovers incendiary evidence from the trash cans of Texas to the ballot boxes of Ohio, exposing secrecy, votes in the trash, hackable software and election officials rigging the presidential recount.

Ultimately proving our votes can be stolen without a trace "Hacking Democracy" culminates in the famous 'Hursti Hack'; a duel between the Diebold voting machines and a computer hacker from Finland - with America's democracy at stake.
    The two Ohio election staff who feature in "Hacking Democracy" were sentenced on March 13th 2007 for rigging the 2004 presidential recount. Incriminating footage from the documentary was used in their court case as evidence.

www.hackingdemocracy.com

3. beoworg

beoworg Member

democracy isn't a better or worse system than monarchy. why would I care anymore if an individual was ruling my life than a mob ruling my life. if someone, besides myself, is controlling me against my will it doesn't matter who or how many people are doing it.

4. Spaced06

Spaced06 Member

I have a question. What democracy?
    I happen to live in a country where companies can sue the government for not letting them exploit the natural resources of the country. And we happen to live in a wold where two thirds of humanity live with one or two dollars a day. Democracy is pure, well marketed bulls*** to give those of us who are not starving the illusion that we are in comand.

5. pypes

pypes Hot alien babes

democracy is a load of bollocks, you can all ready game the system by controlling any aspect of the media, and at the end of the day why should 51% of the people have the right to tell 49% of the people what to do (or what not to do as is more often the case)

6. themastergoat

themastergoat Guest

All governments are ruined by people effecting them because there is always some trying to find loop holes to better them selves. It just happens in different ways, some use media and others pro da. Some use fake elections and others just ignore the results.

7. mai

mai Member

I'm so glad I live in a democracy where people can freely post stupid irresponsible remarks about democracy like some of the posts above.
    My wife is from North Korea. People in North Korea are willing to do anything to escape to a more democratic place, just like those who were living under communist dictatorships did. I mean they would risk their lives for it.
    Rich, fat, bored Westerners can say what they want about the demerits of democracy, after all it has made their lives so safe that they are under the impression that totalitarianism should be similar, they can't even grasp how terrible life can be and how lucky they are to live in a democracy.

sad really,

8. ReillyReilly

ReillyReilly Member

We don't live in a Democracy anyway.

Were all kinda fucked as well.

9. mai

mai Member

you always have the option to move to a place more suitable to your liking
    Zimbabwe, North Korea, Syria
    there are many options

10. pypes

pypes Hot alien babes

OMGWTFBBQ I knows better!!!!!!111oneoneone

Go marry your flag.

11. DaveHT

DaveHT Member

There isn't a democracy in this world. It is either a republic, a monarchy, a dictatorship or something in between. A true democracy is when the people vote on EVERY new law. The entire western world passes their system for a democracy, but it is a republic system where the closest you get to having a say in the laws is to appoint somebody to make laws for you. Once they are in power it is out of your control till the the next election when the politicians lie to you some more in hope of you voting for them.

The only system that I know of that came close to a true democracy was thousands of years ago in the city states of Greece. That even wasn't a true democracy because women and slaves could not vote. The system it set up by those in charge so they stay in charge. It is better not to vote to show your dissatisfaction for the system then to be told 'well you voted them in'.

12. mai

mai Member

I think that when you have a country of a few millions ,it's really impractical to have everyone vote on every single law. Also I don't think the average person understands the implications of every single law. a very good example is economics, most people have no clue about the most basic elements of economics (some are even proud of it) , how can they vote on raising the interest rate if they have no idea what it would mean? If people were allowed to vote on everything ,they would surely get rid of taxes, with no taxes how can the government work? The people will make the government subsidise everything without thinking about where the money would come from. Letting 'the people' vote on everything is not practical or even desired.
    I think that the democracy as we have in Northern Europe is the closest we ever gotten to satisfying most people in terms of political power.
    America should work harder on becoming more similar to Europe in this respect.

13. pypes

pypes Hot alien babes

What part of europe would that be? The part where people you never voted for in Brussels pass laws telling people how they have to buy there spuds and how long they are allowed to work, or a part more like the UK where a bloke who sold the nation to his mates has been replaced by an unelected scotsman?

14. Funkateer

Funkateer To swing on the spiral

I knew about this since they said they were gonna use those damned things

It doesnt even print you out a voter receipt

15. mai

mai Member

pypes ,
    i think i have a different view of human nature than you. people are not perfect, they are greedy and take care of their own interest first (this is not to say that don't they have a kind and empathic side as well). I think Western democracy is currently the best way to put people's bad side under check. Of course , no system is perfect and as long as human beings are involved there will be mistakes and horrible acts. Another factor is people's tendency to operate through a fixed view of reality (ideology) which often leads to disasters (like those carried in the name of religion, communism and the like) . Democracy aims to take curb that. Despite the myth that violence is on the increase, the second part of the 20th century was the most peaceful in human history (more about it here ) and this is thanks to democracy.

Have you ever lived in a non-democratic country, in Africa or Asia? I have. And I don't think people in the West can even imagine just how great their system is. In non-democratic countries , you are constantly fearing for your life and property. If the police kills your son, the government takes your property and the rich person rapes your daughter there is absolutely nothing you can do. This is a reality of life for many people across the world. This was the reality for 99% of humanity before democracy .

Now democracy is not perfect and it requires people to be constantly on the alert . This is why we have free press, alternative press and internet forums. If you don't like what's going on in your country , start a political movement to change it. You have that power, though you might not realise it.