conch infection?

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by xmimihx, Jan 16, 2008.

1. xmimihx

xmimihx Member

i got my inner conch pierced a few weeks ago (around 3-4 weeks ago). all was going well up until a week ago. something started growing around the peircing. i thought it was just a pustule so i ignored it. a friend told me recently that it looked like a cartilage ball and that if i kept washing it and putting bactine on it, that it would go away soon enough. but this morning i looked in the morning and it's been growing bigger. =( if it's something that will go away if i take special care of it, i would love to know what i could do to get rid of it.

here are the links to the pictures of the piercing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

any insight on what it is/what is happening and what i could do to make it better would be so appreciated.

thank you!

2. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Its a little bit of keloiding. Some people, particularily asians and blacks, are prone to them, but anyone can get them. Typically in piercings, they're caused by irritation. It is different than an infection in that there is no germ or pathogen, so antibiotics and bactine, etc won't help it at all.

In fact, bactine and other harsh cleaners will agravate the keloiding. The best thing to do is some warm sea salt soaks(1/4 teaspoon NON-IODIZED salt per cup hot water) 2 x day. Other than that, don't fuck with it. Don't touch, don't change jewelery, don't twirl it, don't put neosporin/bactine/alcohol/peroxiode on it. I've heard some people say a paste of aspirin powder packed on the keloid helps dissolve it. Also, emu oil and coco butter helps diminish scarring. However, I would try just sea salt soaks first, and then move onto other things.

You body has amazing immunity properties, so infected piercings are a lot rarer than just pissed off piercings. Less is more in most cases.

Cheers

3. xmimihx

xmimihx Member

omg. thank you. i've been twirling it and touching it like crazy and cleaning it with bactine multiple times a day.

now i know better.

thanks, again!
    =)

4. theunconformist

theunconformist Member

I had the exact same thing happen. Just leave it alone and don't aggravate it by touching it and what not. And keep up the salt water soaks. Mine is almost all better.

5. i_was_in_shroom_land

i_was_in_shroom_land Shroomier than you!

that happened to my nose ring.. its scarred for life. lol

luckily it isn't that noticable anymore.

and i think tea tree oil helped .

6. i_was_in_shroom_land

i_was_in_shroom_land Shroomier than you!

what happens if i use iodized sea salt??
    lol, out of curiosity....

7. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Well, iodine is a great disinfectant because it kills living cells. This is why you use it to prep a surgery.

However, since you are trying to let new skin cells grow and heal your piercing, iodine is counterproductive. Therefore, iodized salt is not good for this application.

Incidently, this holds true about hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol, two other things commonly applied to new piercings

8. xmimihx

xmimihx Member

the sea salt soaks worked. two weeks later... it went away.

i did go back to the piercer and he did squeeze pus out of the keloid.

9. atropine

atropine Member

Haven't been on for a bit but looks like ahimsa said everything i would have anyway.. good show.

Minor keloiding like this is very common especially among cartilage piercings.. all good that its cleared up :)