Coughing up black/grey stuff?

Discussion in 'Stoners Lounge' started by Stella_Drives, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Stella_Drives

Stella_Drives Senior Member

My girlfriend is a heavy smoker of marijuana. She probably smoked between 3-5 times daily, sometimes more sometimes less depending on what's going on. Recently for new years she decided to quit smoking cigarettes. She's been smoking for abooouuttt 5 years now (well, heavily smoking) but she's cut down to around 3 cigarettes a day before quiting.

The past few days shes been hacking up a storm and this black tar shit keeps coming out of her lungs and her nose. She's been having on and off chest pains too.

I know it's probably her body cleaning itself out from lack of cigarette smoke but is this normal? Anyone else experience anything similar when quitting cigarettes?

2. dxmer555

dxmer555 Member

I recently did a report paper about lung cancer for my science class. Hopefully thats not what it is, but that sounds like some of the symptoms for it. If it gets worse go to the hospital and see what they say because who knows it could be like you said. Also I learned from the paper that smoking marijuana while it can be bad for the lungs stops the spread of the cancer, so basically keep on smokin the green.

3. Stella_Drives

Yeah I doubt it's cancer, she says it happens everytime she tries to quit smoking. I know the top layer of her lungs must just be a fuckin' tar pit so hopefully her bodies just in cleanse mode. But yeah, I'll definately take her to the doctor if things get worse.

4. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Don't listen to the 16 year old.

Cancer, hah :D

What's happening to her is completely normal. I've known heavy smokers who started coughing up blood only after they quit... but, the whole hacking process shouldn't last a long time. Go to the doctor if this goes on for over a week... he might at least give her something to help out with the cleansing process.

...but it's pretty damn normal if she's been a heavy smoker for 5 years.

I smoke, but I just cut down to half a pack a day, and it works for me.

5. hippieatheart

hippieatheart vagina boob

i have some friends who cough up tar shit whenever they tried to quit.
    i'm sure it's completely normal, it's just the tar coming off the lungs

6. Jadesmom810

Jadesmom810 Lizard Queen

That's so disgusting!!!

I quit smoking cigarettes over a year ago and I smoked for 7 years give or take.. And nothing like that like has ever happened to me. I smoke pot daily as well, and there is no black shit coming out of my lungs.. yuck

Maybe she should go to the doctor anyway.. Regardless of what these people say here.

Edit: I was smoking a pack a day at least at one point for a few years. So... Please make her go the doctor.

7. Stella_Drives

Well her mom's an RN and I told her about it and said that it means her lungs are really bad shape for a girl in her 20's. Your lungs are suppose to absorb all that shit until your older and THEN it starts building up but she smokes so much (between cigs and mondo-huge bong rips) that there's already build up in her lungs.
    I've coughed up some weird shit before too, like gunk and blood, but never big black chunks of lung. Mmmm delicious, it just goes away on it's own I guess.

8. Jadesmom810

Jadesmom810 Lizard Queen

well at least her mom might be able to help.. at least with some knowledge. That must be horrible though.

9. skierdood

skierdood Space For Rent

It is 100% normal to hack up stuff when you quit smoking. One of the side effects of smoking cigs is that it numbs the cilia of your lungs allowing tar and crap to build up on the walls of your lungs. When you stop smoking they stop being numb and realize that they are coated with tar. Then your bodys normal healthy reaction is to try and get rid of it. It usually lasts about 5-6 days then you feel amazing.

10. Stella_Drives

I'll make sure to tell her this because it's been grossing her out so much that she just wants to start smoking again to make it stop.

Thanks! :)

11. 40oz and chronic

40oz and chronic 'Nuff Said

hmm..maybe thats what the cig companies wanted to do? if your not already addicted, then you'll want to start back again when you're hacking up black shit.

fuckin christ people, stop smoking cigs!

12. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Why?

I can't be a rockstar without them.

13. 40oz and chronic

rockstar's snort coke

14. zenloki

zenloki Member

smoking stops the cillia in your trachea from doing their job. they move the mucous lining up and out along with all the little particles that shouldn't go in your lungs up the trachea and to the esophogus. before going to the doctor i recommend doing some physical respiratory therapy and it's very simple. pat her back, not too hard and not too soft and this will help loosen the 'junk' and get it out of her lungs. i'd also recommend NO SMOKING of any kind until her lungs have sufficient time to heal. that means when the hacking up junk and chest pains have completely subsided. Look into some herbal/mineral supplements to help heal the lung tissues. Zinc helps speed recovery and there are others too. if the mucous coming out is yellow or green then there's infection in there and she'll need to get that taken care of right away.

15. 40oz and chronic

dude all my mucous is green.

16. killswitchjd

killswitchjd Senior Member

yup, if you stop smoking anything after 2 days or so your lungs will begin to clear themselves out.

I stopped smoking once, and I never smoke cigs, so I mean stopped smoking weed, and the second day I had the worst cough of my life. Felt like I was coughing up a lung, and it hurt like a bitch

17. CloudFlower

CloudFlower Member

You might wanna make sure it is not quagulated blood.... I've coughed up nasty black shit before that turned out to be blood. it could be a serious medical conition or just a sign that her quitting is breaking up all the nasty tar trapped in her lungs

18. Freedom_Man

Freedom_Man Senior Member

lol rockstars smoke weed to help with the music duh...

anyhow that shit is fucking bad a dude i knew did that he smoked weed and cigs about half a pack a day for a few years and was a daily smoker of pot, so i mean cigs are bad and thats probably whats causing it mostly but weed is fucking smoke and yes it does have carcinogens in it, though not near as much as cig smoke, it does so id say cut down on weed and cigs for a while.

19. 40oz and chronic

say that to ozzy..

[​IMG]