Starting a Nursery

Discussion in 'Hip Business Network' started by PeaceLoveAndWeed, Jan 2, 2008.

1. PeaceLoveAndWeed

PeaceLoveAndWeed Member

I am thinking about starting up a nursery. I was wondering what kinds of things i would need to check into to make my business successful. Right now i am just in the planning part of my business, as i would like to finish college before starting it. But any advice would be great!

2. kokoyo112

kokoyo112 Member

I do not know a large amount of information about this type of venture but I thought I may throw in my 2 cents. The location! While at first you may be starting out fairly small, keep in mind you will want to expand! Also, make sure that your location is able to be accessed by many people.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

3. PeaceLoveAndWeed

PeaceLoveAndWeed Member

Thanks for your input. I am currently reading a book called "so you want to start a nursery" it has a lot of useful information. location is going to probably be one of my hardest choices to make. im going to have to start it somewhere with not a lot of competition but yet somewhere located where a decent enough of people will be able to access it.

4. zenloki

zenloki Member

would this be a plant nursery?

5. PeaceLoveAndWeed

PeaceLoveAndWeed Member

oh yes it would be a plant nursery, sorry i should have stated that. most peopel when i tell them i want to start a nursery, they look at me and say "you really want to take care of kids?" haha

6. zenloki

zenloki Member

i get the same reactions. i've got loads of experience and glad to help out.

7. KCJonz

KCJonz Member

greenhouses also ,backhoe, conveyor belts, and laborers.My grandfather was a florist. Not an easy business. You also need local business contacts to sell your flowers. That means churches and funeral homes, etc.