Long Island Iced Tea

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by knotdirty, Dec 28, 2007.

1. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

Is the most disgusting shit I've ever tasted. How do people drink it??

2. sunyatasamsara

sunyatasamsara Member

Because its the best drink out there i dont know how you cant like ive never met anyone who didnt love it.

3. nesta

nesta Banned

i've had a sip of one and it was pretty good. but i've never really had one. to myself. i would try one, but i generally like to stick to neat liquor, beer, or wine. there aren't many cocktails i drink. i do like martinis, and occasionally a cuba libre, mojito, or tequila sunrise. screwdrivers are good, too, as is red grapefruit juice with certain rums

i dont much like whiskey based cocktails i've had in the past, but i'd like to try a mint julip.

hmmm

i ought to try a long island iced tea sometime. i remember liking the taste

4. tricknologist

tricknologist menace to sobriety

Long Island Ice Tea is nearly all liquor. The quality of the drink depends on the quality of the liquor.

5. mellowphish

mellowphish Member

i will drink them occasionally, even at well level they aren't bad

6. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

The taste depends more on the quality of the tequila than anything else. Not only is cheap tequila going to make the drink taste nasty, but it's likely to give you a headache too. I know tradition says that all four liquors have to be clear, but it doesn't hurt anything to go with a gold tequila, as long as it's a good one. The cola is going to turn it dark anyway.

The second most important thing is choosing a gin that blends well with the tequila. That can be tricky. Hendricks gin, for example, is my all-time favorite for a Tom Collins or straight up, but it clashes badly with 1800 or Cuervo Gold in a Long Island. Seagrams gin is mild enough to go with almost any tequila, and it's cheap. Beefeater isn't a bad choice, if you want to go premium all the way. It blends more smoothly than Bombay.

To complete a mostly top shelf Long Island, I always use Absolut vodka and Bacardi Superior rum. There's too much liquor in a Long Island for you to get by with using stuff with a lot of impurities, without risking a killer hangover. (Seagrams gin is pure enough.) I think the wicked hangover memory is the thing that causes a lot of people to cross the LI off their drink list forever. Done right, it's one of the best high-powered drinks around.

Go light on the cola and heavy on the sour mix, and add 3 or 4 ice cubes. Some bars mix in some real tea, sometimes even with sugar and lemon in the South, but I don't think that adds enough flavor to be worth all the trouble.

7. Dank Seeker

Dank Seeker Member

Quality liquor is always a must. I believe the sour mix is the key ingredient.
    A bartender with a clue is also very helpful. I too have had many bad ones, but when made correctly it's one of my favorite mixed drinks !! Cheers

8. delilah sunshyne

delilah sunshyne Member

a shitty LIT is the result of a shitty bartender. Even well liquor can taste decent in a long island if its done properly. I know someone else said go light on the cola and heavy on the sour, but I think it should only be a splash of both and if you have nasty sweet and sour mix, 86 it, give me 2 slices of fresh lemon and I'll be on my way...

9. Luvnh8

Luvnh8 Member

Haven't had that in a few years, but it was alright when tried... but not something I would drink often. Where did you drink yours?

10. fx20736

fx20736 Member

When I was young giving a woman a Long Island Iced Tea meant we would end up naked in bed. it worked every time.

11. Redneck66

Redneck66 Member

I just drink tequila right from the bottle. That keeps things simple. :D

12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

1st time someone talked me into drinking LIIT,I literally crawled on hands and knees out of the bar to my car after several. Never again.

13. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Yeah after nights of drinking those, I've woken up the next day wondering how the fuck I got home, only to realize.....I drove!!

14. scratcho

Now that you mention it--that night I got a REAL break from a cop. He saw me crawling into my car,came over and said-"don't you start that car. You go to sleep in there". I couldn't believe it. Damn I'm glad I don't drink any more. I did my share up until I took that tab of----well, that's another story.

15. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Damn you got REAL lucky, that was a cool cop. I know guys that slept in their car and got dui because the key was in the ignition. I'm all about cabs these days.

16. scratcho

No shit. My daughter lost her license for 7 years (2nd Dui) just sitting in a car drinking a beer when she didn't intend to drive anywhere. Just sitting in front of her place talking to a friend and def not drunk. I think her key must have been in the ignition also--listening to a CD. I will say, it straightened her right up.

17. roamy

roamy Senior Member

what happened if ya gave her two of them ?