Will xanax relieve my paranoia from smoking weed?

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by tmmoran0302, Dec 18, 2007.

1. tmmoran0302

tmmoran0302 Member

I used to smoke pretty heavily (around 4 times a day) but I quit due to paranoia. It started small but over a half year period, the paranoia grew so intense that the high was not worth it. That’s when I quit smoking weed.

It’s been 2 years since the last time I’ve smoked and have been thinking about giving it another try to see if I’m over my paranoia.

I was wondering, since xanax is used to relieve anxiety, would taking xanax before I smoke help relieve my paranoia?

2. Adventurous

Adventurous Member

First off mate if you used to avoid getting high because the para was too intense its prob best to keep it that way.

I used to be the same, I smoked every day for 4 years, the 4th year I started to get paranoid and couldnt handle being high cos I was too panicky constantly throughout it.

I havent had a proper smoke for around 6 months now, but did have a few tokes on a spliff a few weeks ago, I did feel para but because it was a small amount it werent too bad. I aint going back to weed like it was before but will smoke a few tokes mayb once a month to be safe, feels much better this way.

If you do start dabbling with it again please just go easy, that way you can judge how you feel without goin to far and havin to deal with the para again.

Xanax will help your body/mind to relax, so the physical sypmtoms of para/anxiety will be relieved, this is good but only for short term use, you shouldnt start using these often. They are designed for when you have been going through an anxious time and not for long term use.

Be best to proberly get some smoke and have a little weak spliff at home on your own and test it out, if your not feeling dodgy then smoke with mates n shit.

Just dont get into the Xanax too much as it has its purpose and you probably could do fine without.

Paranoia is heightened awareness which makes your mind act differently, and as Xanax is designed for anxiety there isnt a straight answer to say it will help with paranoia.

Hope this helps matey, let me kno how you get on. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. tmmoran0302

tmmoran0302 Member

Well I finally tried it last night for the first time and It worked wonderful!

I was able to just relax and enjoy my high just like I used to. I am not going to try to make a habit out of using the xanax, just to get me back into it and enjoying it again.

4. lovejanisandgrace

lovejanisandgrace Estimated Prophet

Are you prescribed to the xanax? I'm assuming you are, because self-medicating to be able to enjoy a high doesn't sound like a good idea. Marijuana opens your mind, it either shows you a better way to life, or shows you that you're better off without it.
    Take a deep breath. Life is good.

5. IDL

IDL Banned

I recommend taking "Valeriana Officinalis" or "Valerian" (over the counter dietary herbal supplement) which helps out with anxiety a lot. Reason I say this is since I take it daily(well, maybe 3-4 times a week) to relieve anxiety. It's a mild sedative so don't try getting "high" off it. It only calms you down and the other good thing about it, it's also useful as a sleeping aid which causes no addiction or withdrawal at all, whatsoever. Finally, it wont eat out your wallet since it usually costs apprx. $5.00 U.S. dollars for a bottle of 100 capsules. If you're thinking of taking this supplement, I recommend talking to your physician since it can cause adverse effects(like any other supplement out there) if you're taking any prescription MAOI or any other prescription drug. Take care.

6. sunyatasamsara

sunyatasamsara Member

Shit yeah it will, thats why so many smokers take xanax. Cannabis takes down the safety barrier in your mind that holds the anxious feelings. For the people with enough awareness to notice it i would suggest using cannabis just for meditation purposes. In Hinduism it is the embodyment of their god Kali. Kali represents shakti(energy). Cannabis causes pratyahara(sense withdrawal), it brings your awareness from the outside to the inside, it is the true sacrament.

7. nunitn

nunitn Member

dude you prolly some sort of anxiety disorder or some sort of social disorder like me.
    if your prescribed a medication from a licensed professional then take it. dont listen to these burnouts who are going to try to tell you to take some crazy herb or meditate or drink some weird juice. the truth is you prolly got a problem, you like to smoke pot, and sometimes the two conflict. I know exactly where you are coming from.

8. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

wow.
    Since when did meditation become the practice of burnouts?
    Medication will only mask your problem nuntin, Meditation however can bring you the strength to forever dispell your fears and this power lies within all of you. Relying on medication to fight off anxiety is a bit counterproductive in my opinion, but whatever Im not here to judge and I do not suffer from this problem. However I do believe that meditation is THE medication for the majority of mental disorders.
    namaste

9. Caserock

Caserock Member

I used to have the same problem. I can smoke as much as I want, as often as I want - when I take a little xanax. Works like a charm.[​IMG]

10. treehuggerT

treehuggerT Member

Using one drug to relieve the side effects of another seems like the start of a scary downward spiral. If something doesn't make you feel good, there's probably a reason.

11. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

Very true. I should know, I did the exact thing being described here before I realize that Im just hyper sensitive to THC and dont like it!
    namaste

12. sam&ella

sam&ella Member

Will xanax relieve my paranoia from smoking weed?
    Absolutely!

Unfortunately, one of the side effects of Xanax is lethargy. To counteract this symptom, try cocaine.

But, one can become overly excited by stimulants, so an opiate might be in order, say, oxycodone?

Ah, I forgot: Opiates can cause CNS depression; better take an amphetamine.

Hold on! Now you may be in a hyperactive situation.

Smoke some weed.

13. PlacidPete

PlacidPete Member

14. thinkfloyd07

thinkfloyd07 Senior Member

well man i think you have a problem but with a little meditation you can fix it

1 person likes this.
  15. driss09

driss09 Members

hi can anyone give ways to reduce anxiety / paranoia after smoking weed. that's been a issue with me, i smoke a few puffs on a joint or take a bong rip and within like 5 minutes i feel anxious / paranoid, i remember once i had some really weak weed, called shake, and i smoked some of the joint and i was somewhat paranoid cause everyone walking on the street looked like they were police officers or something...other times ive just gotten the munchies and suddenly dry cold cereal seems awesome...and i eat handfuls of it, like its the best thing ever...

so anyone have any tips / tricks to reduce these issues when smoking weed, also do you recommend smoking weed from a bong vs a joint cause im looking to buy a bong in a few weeks.

1 person likes this.
  16. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

xanax definitely kills any paranoia, or anxiety caused by weed.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The way I deal with weed paranoia is I grow a pair of balls. :) and I take a good long think of myself and I say "girl, you got nothing to be paranoid over" :D and then I get on with the stoned. Honestly the moment I feel myself slipping from a high into the oh shit stage, I just think how it's going to kill the mood and it's best if I continue to have fun. :)

1 person likes this.
  18. driss09

driss09 Members

I've read that xanax/alprazolam can be very addictive with really bad withdrawal symptoms.

Have you used xanax? What was the side effects?

19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I used to get that way. I just got used to it. It's more so from indica than sativa I think. But more to the point. Smoking is not as healthy as an edible. If you live somewhere where they have a medical marijuana program, and you qualify to receive medicinal marijuana you should really try to keep it healthy. Try an edible. Follow the instructions. Find one that is reputable. Don't ingest things that aren't well known.

But anyway, I started last July on a regimen of edibles and I noticed some symptoms of severe paranoia. I found that this was related to dosage and familiarity. I just wasn't used to the effects, and at the same time had a low tolerance. So, I think basically you'll get more used to it, especially indica. It's nice once you're used to it imho. While you are not used to it, sativa can be easier on your nerves, in my opinion. Other people will tell you the opposite is true.

20. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

What about vaping it? They have cartridges of CO2 oil with standard threads for any e-cig vaporizer device. I like eating it, it's just hard to titrate the effects, I might end up getting way more stoned than I needed to be.