Some questions about fun things to do with my dreads

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by trunkmonkey, Dec 12, 2007.

1. trunkmonkey

trunkmonkey Member

Well, I have been getting kinda pissed off lately with the comments I have been getting about my hair, with people telling me that I suck at making dreads. I usually just tell them to go fuck themselves because dreads form themselves, you don't neccessarily make them (I'm not gonna stop now though, I've spent too much time to give up yet, I don't really care what people think about me). But now I have started to use some "sun in" stuff on one dread so that I will have one lighter dread, to make it cooler. Too bad I can't speed up the process. So me and some kids were thinking of sweet things I could do, and I realized that it would be sweet to dye one dread red, like a really bright red. maybe another one another color. If so, it would be my favorite dread (Giv, any Aafrikaans speaking people here? If not, you wont get it) that will be red, my second favorite one that I am currently lightening (Go Go (I think thats the spelling) again, aafrikaans), and my third favorite dread another color. Anyone know if dying my hair while being baby dreads is a good idea? Will I be able to achieve bringht red with my dark brown hair?

Another cool thing that I am gonna do is try putting beer in my dreads, as according to my uncle and his girlfriend, it helps knot up your hair. anyone else heard of it? Or should I be the first to try this out?

Another thing, today I just started realizing how bed of dandruff I have, it is disqusting. So my mom just finished using a comb to scratch off all of it off of my head (feels soooo fucking good, I feel like a dog getting scratched behind the ear) when she realized that it seemed more like oily, soapy residue. Could this be because of me using the knotty boy dread shampoo bar? I have one hell of a time trying to use that damn thing. Maybe I didn't wash my hair good enough, or would it possibly be dandruff? She is currently out to get some tea tree oil to make that deep cleaning concoction before I wash my hair tonight. Hopefully my Dr. Bronners shampoo will get here before the next washing.
    Anyone else please feel free to share any answers you have to my above questions, or shows everyone your fun ideas for dreads. Maybe someone has another tutorial on peyote stitches for complete beading beginners? I can't figure that stuff out. So ya, share your experiences!:spliff:

2. kattoo13

kattoo13 Member

whoa dude, that was too much to read. i only got through the first 2 sentences. good luck with whatever it is you're seeking though..

3. trunkmonkey

trunkmonkey Member

ya, sorry about that. I try to stop, but I just got finished with a research paper thingy and I got in the mood of drawing things out alot. Heres basically what I'm saying:
    1) What do you think about dying hair after dreading and how to do it with dark brown hair.
    2)does putting beer in your hair really help your dreads out like salt water?
    3)would my knotty boy shampoo bar be the cause of this oily "dandruff" stuf that I have?
    4)Share any other fun things to do with dreads and share your stories!

4. amethystrse

amethystrse Member

To get your hair bright red you're going to probably have to bleach the dread you want dyed.

I wouldn't put beer in your hair. It'll just smell really bad and probably not too healthy.

I don't think the knotty boy shampoo bar would cause the oily buildup you described. How often do you wash your hair? If it's not often then that's more likely to be the culprit. Also I find that if I don't rinse my hair enough I'll get a bit of buildup.

Good luck hon!

5. kattoo13

kattoo13 Member

[QUOTE
    1) What do you think about dying hair after dreading and how to do it with dark brown hair. if you're trying to go super light, you'd have to bleach which i don't recommend. your hair follicles will break, thus making your dreads brittle. if you dye, i'd only use a natural dye. something made with NON artificial crap.

2)does putting beer in your hair really help your dreads out like salt water? i've never tried either and mine turned out just fine. you can see them in my 2 threads "my monster congo" and "some random pics of my dreads."

3)would my knotty boy shampoo bar be the cause of this oily "dandruff" stuf
    that I have? i use this peppermint castille soap. it has natural oils in it which condition my hair and scalp.

4)Share any other fun things to do with dreads and share your stories![/QUOTE] enjoy them, never use wax and NEVER cut. they are a part of you and nobody can tell you differently.
    good luck.

*edit* i meant to say the name of my thread was "my monster congo" (just changed it). lol sorry! i was stoned when i wrote this.

6. rojiblanco34

rojiblanco34 Banned

pic??

high five kat

7. goatboy1186

goatboy1186 Visitor

1) I dont know about dying as I would personally never want to alter my hairs color.
    2) Beer won't help your hair lock up but it will make them smell.
    3) I've never heard bad reviews of knotty boys soap.
    4) Fun things: wraps, felting wool into your lock is apparently in vogue although ive never tried this, i personally like beads but I only put beads in my hair if they have some kind of significance. I've tried making peyote stitches and failed miserably so I just crochet tams when I have time. Weaving other peoples hair into yours. I don't know how long your locks are but the longer they get the more "fun" things you can do. I personally feel the most fun thing is getting them tugged on when I'm with a lady ;)

8. kattoo13

kattoo13 Member

right back atcha!

9. bunjies

bunjies Member

i have bleached 3 of my dreads, and they are just fine and dandy!
    i find i get a build up if i cant rinse the soap out well (stupid hard water) use the deep cleaning concoction thats on here somewhere.
    personally i wouldnt use beer, cos i hate the smell of it and unless you rinsed straight away (and i dont see how that wuld help) you would smell of stale beer.
    i have felted one of my dreads pink and purple. i have wrapped one and i *think* there are still a couple of beads lurking in there somewhere!
    ooh ooh and my friend spent an hour stitching seed beads into one of them, it looks all sparkly now!

10. Ribanna

Ribanna Member

they beer is good for your hair but i dont know if its good for your dreadies.

fun things.
    you can try to die the ends of your dreads.
    make some beads yourself with fimo-klei to put in there.

11. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

1) What do you think about dying hair after dreading and how to do it with dark brown hair.
    you can dye it if you want. i personally dont let chemicals near my dreads but its your choice. id say try henna but i dont hink it really covers dark hair. it would reddin it a bit though. or you could try lemon juice bleaching them and then use henna, that might work.

2)does putting beer in your hair really help your dreads out like salt water?
    beer is actually a good hair rinse but i have no idea if its good to use on dreadies.

3)would my knotty boy shampoo bar be the cause of this oily "dandruff" stuf that I have?
    it could be if you arnt washing it out well enough. i often use a bar on my dreads too and what i do is work up a lather with it in my hands, then rub my hands on my scalp and btw my dreads till its all soapy everywhere. i usually wash my hair twice to get all the grease and dirt out and because it feels so nice the second time. and when im done, i dunk it in a bucket of water a few times to really make sure all the soap is out (adding a few drops of essential oil to the water makes your dreads smell super wonderful)

4)Share any other fun things to do with dreads and share your stories!
    i cant really htink of any that havnt been covered.

lets see some pics!!

12. trunkmonkey

trunkmonkey Member

Thanks fo tha replies! I will post some pics as soon as my arm stops hurting soo much, I broke my arm last night. I also prob. wont dye my hair for a while or at least untill my hair gets a little tighter. Im not quite sure what I wanna do actually. Im having second thoughts about dyeing it. ill think about it later, I cant think straight ATM.

13. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

sorry to hear about your arm :( broken bones suck.

14. trunkmonkey

trunkmonkey Member

ya, and its even worse when your cell rings and its in your other pocket so you cant reach it!

15. trunkmonkey

trunkmonkey Member

sorry, no pictures yet, but my dr bronners shampoo just arrived. on the bottle it says to mix 1 quart with 2 gallons of warm water in a sink and to use a towel to rub it into your hair. But that seems like too much for just one washing. would I be able to make a mixture in a bottle so I can just squirt it in my hair when needed?

16. lunatic_on_the_grass

lunatic_on_the_grass Member

you could dye your hair with henna.... it just takes a long time. East Indians dye their hair with it, and they have very dark hair, it turns a dark red colour, and once again takes a long time. good luck buddy.