Astrology questions and concepts megathread

Discussion in 'Astrology' started by Enlil6, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

A while back I suggested an Astrology FAQ thread. I want this thread to be about questions on astrological concepts and astrology in general. I will not read people's charts, but I don't mind doing quick lookups to explain what certain areas are. A moderator PMed me and agreed to sticky this.

I will periodically post small articles or posts explaining certain concepts.

I welcome contributions from others. My main area of interest is traditional (pre 18th century) astrology. I know Astroteacher, a member of this board, is traditional astrologer and knows more than I, but think I post more.

There are a few more mainstream astrologers running around as well.

So let the thread commence!

2. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

What is your sign?

Most people know their Sun sign. One of the reasons why this is so popular, is that it takes no knowledge of astrology whatsoever to know your Sun sign. Born on March 23? All you have to do is open your local newspaper and look for the sign that contains that date. Presto!

Sun signs were not used for character delineation in traditional astrology. This is purely a modern invention, though exactly when and why it started I can't answer. Suffice it to say there is no information about Sun signs in any of the older astrology books I've read.

The Sun was very much used for many things in the old days. For instance, if you wanted to find out about someone's father in their birth chart, the Sun represented the father if the person was born during the day.

What was the alternative? Rising signs - also known as the ascendant!

The rising sign is the sign on the eastern horizon at the moment of birth. The east is symbolic of birth in many cultures since it is from the east where the all the stars and planets arise.

Simply put, in traditional astrology, the rising sign represents "you". In most cases, if I want to find out the state of of someone, I look at the planet that rules their rising sign.

In modern astrology, the Sun represents you and the rising sign represents how others see you.

However I think the rising sign is a much more elegant way of finding information.

First of all it is more individualistic. Rising signs change roughly every two hours and are dependant on where you were born. So two people born on the same second of the same day may have different rising signs if they live in different cities. The disadvantage of Sun signs is that everyone born within a month of each other regardless of location is the same. I don't feel this reflects the reality of people's individuality.

Second, it is a nice way to quickly see what is helping or afflicting someone. If a planet representing sickness is afflicting the planet ruling your rising sign, I know there is a problem. If a planet representing wealth has a good aspect with your ruling planet, I know things will come easily to you.

In traditional astrology, you don't get the "what's your sign" question coming up. The rising sign will be a major indicator of certain things, but even that doesn't give you the whole picture. You still need to look at the entire chart to get any detail.

freespiritedone likes this.
  3. Gretsch87

Gretsch87 Member

That's probably why many people todoay dismiss and critisize astrology for being invalid and not very practical but that's due to lack of knowledge on their part in that they think the sun sign is all there is to a person's astrological makeup.

4. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

That's precisely it!

5. Gretsch87

Gretsch87 Member

On a further note, they ask, "well how do the position of the planets have any effect on me whatsoever..." Well, same way the moon effects the oceans tide, the same way the planets effect the range of our musical note system - ever heard of the music of the spheres?, and also that earth has a frequency of its own (schuman resonance) and how it correlates to our own brain waves. It's all so very interesting i think.

6. Gretsch87

Gretsch87 Member

The sun even effects our own seasonal changes...

7. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

The Sun is the cause of the seasons.

I ascribe to the traditional notion of planetary spirits. You can't say that gravity or magnetism from planets is causing the effects since that can be measured, and with the exception of the Moon and Sun, all gravitational effects are negligible.

8. Gretsch87

Gretsch87 Member

I guess what i meant is the energy exerted?

9. Gretsch87

Gretsch87 Member

and yea lol, the sun IS the cause of seasonal changes...very poorly worded indeed.

10. MyEulogy

MyEulogy Member

if ascendant is that important what if it was poorly aspected? like leo rising that squares mars and squares pluto? how woudl you describe a person like that?

11. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

I don't use Pluto, but bad aspects usually show some kind of difficulty or illness depending on the chart. It all depends on which planets are causing the bad aspects and which houses those planets rule, AND what the issue is.

12. MyEulogy

MyEulogy Member

well mars is in my midheaven, and mars squares my ascendant, so does that technically mean that my midheaven squares my ascendant? and i thought square is like a trine but intensified energy to the point where it causes stress rather than ease.

13. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

That's not how it works. If Leo is your rising sign, then its ruler the Sun is what you pay attention to. So you would see if your Sun is aspecting Mars. You don't typically do aspects to cusps, but there are a few exceptions.

Aspects VERY briefly described:

conjunction - seeing eye to eye. Is good if the conjunction is good, bad if it's bad.

Trine - very easy or effortless

Sextile - somewhat easy or effortless

Square - somewhat difficult

Opposition - very difficult

14. MyEulogy

MyEulogy Member

well you see my leo sun is conjunct to my leo ascendant, and i also have sun opposition moon, and i also have mars opposition pluto (lol geez...) so basically i have sun square mars and sun square pluto, moon square mars and moon square pluto, so therefore mars square ascendant and pluto square ascendant.

15. MyEulogy

MyEulogy Member

hope that kind of cleared it up for you :)

16. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

Yep that makes more sense.

17. aksgupta

aksgupta Member

I am not a very expert in Astrology, but what made me impressed and attracted towards it was a website and chat session with one of Astrologer from india, he is a great calculator... i dont know how can he tell everything ..... with my few details...

anyways just wanted to share my views here.... if anyone of you want to experience the same , u can please visit www.makemykundli.com for the same....

18. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

This isn't very different than traditional western astrology.

19. MyEulogy

MyEulogy Member

enlil i have been curious about this for a while but i was wondering if you could help me out. i've had my birth chart done and according to many sites, and they say that my sun is in the 12th house. an astrologer told me that it is at the very end of the 12th house which is considered to be in the 1st house cusp but birth charts don't take that into consideration and just say it's in the 12th house.
    Sun Conjunction Ascendant 0.16 leo rising in in my first house and it is conjuncting my leo sun with a tight orb at .16 degrees, wouldn't that mean since my sun is conjuncting my ascendant that is in the first house that the sun is also in the first house?
    -thanks

20. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

Generally if a planet is within 5 degrees of the following cusp, then most astrologers just consider it in that next house. If I'm reading you right, your Sun is 16 minutes away from the 1st cusp. If that's so, then you can consider it in the 1st. In traditional you don't get the situation you have in modern where people say you have the qualities of 2 signs or whatever. It's either one thing or the other.