How to allow a child to be an individual while in homeschooling?

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by Nature_Child, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Nature_Child

Nature_Child Member

I don't have a child yet and won't any time soon, but I'd like to be prepared. I prefer the idea of homeschooling, but I'm kind of worried about it as I've seen people too many times become exactly what their parents wanted, in a bad way. The idea of someone following my word blindly rather than deciding things for themselves terrifies me, exspecially someone who I have decided to be responsible for. Anyone have any tips? How do you -teach- individuality?

2. Twizz

Twizz Drug Conoisseur

Individuality is aquired over time.

3. uzume

uzume Member

double post

4. uzume

uzume Member

Why would your children follow you blindly? Do you plan on keeping them locked in a room 24/7, with no other human contact except for yourself? Do you plan on forbidding any questioning? Is your word going to be law?

My children are homeschooled....more unschooled, actually. They're 15 and 12, and because they've been kept out of the cookie-cutter world of school (where you're sorted, graded, labeled, and judged by how expensive your clothes and toys are), and have also been taught to think for themselves, they are very individualistic.

I'm not really sure why people have the idea that public schools foster individualism. From what I've seen, kids who don't conform in school are often bullied, tormented and ostracized.

You *teach* individuality by allowing your child freedom. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness should be an option for everyone....not just those over 18. I'm not into this mass-production of human beings they call "education."

Neither do I believe that individuality is acquired over time. Individuality is always there, from the beginning....until someone/something crushes it.

5. good2bhome

good2bhome Member

ditto uzume.

I don't think you teach individuality, you let it bloom.

Check out John Taylor Gatto's book Dumbing Us Down and see if you don't see your paradigm shifting a bit.