AP & Reuter will say anything?

Discussion in 'The Media' started by HoneySuckleBlue, Nov 2, 2007.

1. HoneySuckleBlue

HoneySuckleBlue Cosmic Artist

Media Exagerates Threats from Iran

The quote attributed to Iran’s President Ahmadinejad, “Israel must be wiped off the map” has been met by worldwide condemnation and alarm. Ahmadinejad’s actual statements, however, were significantly less threatening. In October 2005 Ahmadinejad expressed the belief that the West oppresses Muslims through an imposed Zionist regime. He quoted the late Ayatollah Khomeini, “The Imam said this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time. This statement is very wise.” Clearly Ahmadinejad’s actual words call for regime change, not war. A similar statement by Ahmadinejad in December 2006, “As the Soviet Union disappeared, the Zionist regime will also vanish and humanity will be liberated,” was once more altered by AP and Reuter to sound more threatening and sent around the world. Author Arash Norouzi calls this “media manipulation and propaganda in action.” In May of 2006 President Ahmadinejad published an open letter to President Bush clearly asking for peace and the mutual respect of human rights. He warns that Western media, through contrived and deceptive information, has intensified the climate of fear that leads to attacks on innocent peoples. That letter was not picked up by the US news wires.

“‘Wiped Off The Map’ - The Rumor of the Century” Arash Norouzi, Global Research, 1/20/2007
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=NOR20070120&articleId=4527
    “ Full Text: The President of Iran's Letter To President Bush” Translated by Le Monde, Information Clearing House, 05/09/06
    http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article12984.htm

2. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Well the west has to paint their proposed boogeyman in the worst light possible. Knowledgeable people are aware it was a misinterpretation and exaggeration. What's scary if that most of the world will only remember the exaggerated soundbites.

The news media no longer operates within any moral or ethical restraints, they are only interested now in selling their warped messages and agendas.

3. HoneySuckleBlue

It makes me ill to think of the things that are being done because of this kind of thinking.

4. gardener

Thinking people can't let this happen.

5. HoneySuckleBlue

I think...but how do I help?

6. gardener

Stay vocal, don't let Bush and Cheney think they have a free pass on this one. Ask every presidential candidate where they stand on a possible strike against Iran. Keep it visible and talked about.

Demand hard facts and indisputable evidence before any action is taken. Iran is a soverign nation that has not demonstrated any hostility towards the western world. Don't fall for drummed up fear tactics.

7. HoneySuckleBlue

Don't bush and cheney just do what they want anyway? I mean we did'nt even elect them and they have been gaining momentum ever since. Do they really listen?
    Wish I had a sniper rifle...and knew how to use it. It amazes me how people like kennedy and Mr. King can get taken out so quickly and then these guys just keep going and going...wtf?

8. gardener

Being vocal and open has slowed them down on some issues, like Blackwater...it took too long to actually make it to the front burner, but we shouldn't let them try to black it out in the news coverage any longer.

It's way over due for some answers. And we shouldn't forget to ask the democrats as well.

9. HoneySuckleBlue

So what do you got going on forowls? You seem like a man of action...or are you just a smack talker?

10. HoneySuckleBlue

Sure. I don't know how that helps undermine Bush and all the propiganda being spread though.

...and some questions if you don't mind, what made you decide to join the military? Do you believe in what is going on over there or do y'all feel used to further the agenda of the top 1%?

11. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

One can be skeptical of Western media without bying into the tripe that comes out of Terhan.

There are objective facts and subjective opinions.

This is an opresssive dictatorship by any standards.

Talk to an Iranian immigrant they'rs plenty in The US.

12. gardener

No water, no power is what the US intervention in Iraq has accomplished. Iraqis had these things before we bombed them back at least ten years.

Freedom of individuals, this administration isn't about this over there or here in the US.

You can pretend to be a soldier...but I doubt it. You are just spewing crap. You can pretend that killing children and other innocent children protects your military offensives, but I wait to see the facts that this is indeed true. As a military presence and armed, you are the one entering and interfering in a land that didn't ask for your presence.

Britney Spears talk aside, you are full of shit.

13. HoneySuckleBlue

Who are we supposed to stay vocal to? Local media?

14. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It bothers me that they even call him "President Ahmadinejad." That may be his title, but many Americans don't realize that he doesn't have nearly the authority and power of an American president. They should either mention that "president" doesn't mean the same thing in most other countries, or not use the title, IMHO.

I remember the "wipe off the map" translation, I accidentally overheard it somewhere. The last line of the news item was "however, a formal translation of the letter has not yet been conducted." Great disclaimer, eh?

So they basically say "This new letter says they want to kill us all and eat our children for supper! After cooking them alive! And burn the flag and Starbucks too! At least that's what we're saying that they said- but we've not yet read the letter, and after we have, we won't offer a correction."