the Meta define what hippie/hippy means to you/ labels thread

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by lilyflowerr, Oct 14, 2007.

1. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

hippy is a misspelling of happy
    if your able to exist in this crummy crazy world and kreep hope alive for a better future if your able to keep smilling while cops beat on you if your able to give your last penny when homeless and hingry if your able to hug someone who just insulted you then you truly must be happy..or hippy whichever way ya wanna spell it

2. Thekarthika

Thekarthika Member

Heres how I see it;
    I do what I want(yes, conforming is what I want)
    I let people make their petty insults about my long ass skirt
    If someone picks a fight, I laugh it off, ya know, whatever.
    And mother earth is more important than our damned economy.

So, call me what you like.

(endeth of my testimony, lol)

3. inahD

inahD Member

dude i think i know you... sort of. do you rock the wheels?

4. icecreampheonix

icecreampheonix Member

To me, being a hippie is about discovering life in an alternative light, whether that be by exploring open relationships or drugs or whatever. I don't wear that much tie dye or homemade pants, but I feel like mainstream society doesn't fit me. I'm not a capitalist, I avoid doing things for the sake of tradition, and I review everything that society has put on me, because I don't feel like I need that stuff.

5. inahD

inahD Member

to contribute, i would say being a hippie means being hip. being sensitive enough to catch the underlying pulse of civilization.

6. tonynaturalist

tonynaturalist Member

Hippies ...avoid fads, dont follow traditions blindly, are more natural, dont have dress codes, live the moment, dont worry abt the future, be good and sensitive to your friends and neightbors, be open minded and do what feels good ...

7. lilyflowerr

lilyflowerr Member

good point tonynaturalist,
    my motto is .. "if it feels good, do it."

8. wildboy82

wildboy82 Member

just free your mind and your soul will follow

9. lostminty

lostminty Member

freedom is a load of shit. killyourself..that is ultimate freedom. or live on earth and accept that people will expect things of you because we are not all equal and we are not all interchangeable. Trust is important and you need to maintain it, therefore there are limitations on how you can live your life...people's point of views will differ and thus expectations will change, if they didn't then everyone would be the same

10. sweetxcatastrophe

sweetxcatastrophe Member

I agree with what most everyone said, but the one person who rambled off a list of insulting names. Who the hell are you and why the hell are you being cruel? She's allowed to be whoever and whatever she wants to be.

If you believe you're a hippie, by all means, be a hippie.

Peace and Chicken

11. bcsher

bcsher Member

Right, you are who you are. Those who judge you for not 'fitting' the 'right label' are the ones who should worry about their path, not you. Just live with integrity, simple, but not easy. Peace

12. kevenlm

kevenlm Member

I think Hippie is part other peoples thinking. Here is my case in point. My son enlisted in the air force for college money. He went to Alaska to serve. No killing and a lot of nature. During the 3 yrs of service he has repeatedly been told by his fellow airmen that his parents (my wife and I) sound like Hippies. He doesn't know what he is saying to lead them to this conclusion. I tell him to thank them for us and remember this is a compliment and not a insult. I never thought about the Hippie label until he brought it up. Now that I have been thinking about it I guess I am. So a real Hippie is someone that doesn't try to be a Hippie, you wont realize it until someone else points it out. That's a true Hippie. Be yourself, that is all you have to do to be REAL at who ever you think you are.
    Live with LOVE in your heart, share LOVE from your heart = A good life :peace:
    Keven

13. bekyboo52

bekyboo52 52~unknown~52

labels are for cans

14. Etherwind27

Etherwind27 Member

we don't live amongst rigid definite classifications that worthlessly attempt to capture the colors of quality in our lives and distill them in sealed jars for examination and testing for the sake of order, authority, justification to keep the system of social control and regulation operating as smoothly and efficient as possible. We flow on a wide all-encompassing spectrum, where mixes and collages and anything your imagination and conjure is theoretically possible if you follow through on it! When using the term "hippie" just keep in mind it is nothing but a common style of life.

15. Revolver1966

Revolver1966 Member

man, i think if you yourself know that you are ahippy, then you are one. it doesnt matter what others label or think of you as.

16. LauraMay

LauraMay Rainbow Humper

Thinking about being a fake hippy or a real hippy MAKES you a hippy!!
    In My Opinion.
    What non-hippy would be thinking, "Am I a real hippy or a fake hippy?" :D

LoveLoveLove

17. Sockboy

Sockboy Member

Interesting:
    First of all, the name "hippie" is just a tag that is assigned to someone. I have been called a hippie for many years (by friends and strangers) and often I do not consider my self a hippie, because it is all relative and subjective. Everyone has there own idea what a hippie should be. My friends tell me that I am the epitome of a hippie. Am I? I have no idea, because in there minds I am. It is never suggested in the negative context.
    A close friend of mine has told me that I am an awesome epitome of a hippie... I asked him to explain. He told me that I am carefree, wear tie-dye, shorts and sandals, smoke weed and have long hair. It is all true. But I have long hair, wear tie-dye, shorts and sandals out of comfort and preference. I am not trying to be a hippie nor am I trying to emulate one. But I fit the bill according to him. It is all speculative and suggestive. I do not wake up in the morning and say..." I have to maintain a hippie look/attitude today".
    I do not really consider my self a hippie by the way I dress or the way I act. It's all in the minds eye of other people. I believe it is more of a culture than a physical representation. There are personal people I know that are clean cut, suit and tie, that are hippies. But again, that is my perspective and not everyone's. Yes, you can combine culture with physical representation of that culture and produce a stereo-type very easily, which many do and have over the years. When I see a greasy long hair drugged up idiot who is crawling on the streets in Newark, I will say, "hippie freak asshole".
    If someone is wearing a Harley-Davidson T-shirt, jeans and black boots, you assume... "biker", it does not mean they own a bike, its a costume, yes there are "fakers" and "real" ones out there. Sometime it is difficult to tell.
    Hippie is a state of mind and a culture, and to dress like one does not make you a hippie. To agree with a culture is more important than the way you dress, act and present yourself. Hippie is a state of mind, not presentation.
    Just my opinion, thought I would write this while I was high and perusing the forum :)
    Jon

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

The hippie that's more busy with his label and how he's percepted than anything?

19. LauraMay

LauraMay Rainbow Humper

Then he's obviously not a hippie:rolleyes:

Yeah... Okay... I fucked up..:eek:

Onwards and upwards:)

20. Zenus

Zenus Guest

Real Hippy - it's much of love, and no agression!
    It's when the music is the key to your soul!!!

-------------------------------------
    Everyone invited:
    http://www.spankcollection.blogspot.com