Is It Safe To Mix Hydrocodone and Oxycodone together

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OhhSherri

OhhSherri

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted October 12 2007 - 11:56 PM

I have one oxycodone 10/650 and two hydro 10/325, separately they are not enough for me to get off on, but if I took them together, they would be. I have never mixed them and want to be sure it's safe. My tolerence for either is fairly high. I have tried to look this up on the internet and nothing comes up except advertisements for online pharmacies selling both drugs. So does anyone know first hand if it is safe to mix the two?

#2 seeingblind

seeingblind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted October 13 2007 - 06:08 PM

yes as long as you have enough tolerance to handle that dose you should be fine, smoking opium is essentially morphine, codeine, thebeine and other alkaloids all at once. i dont think that should be a problem in fact it sounds very nice right now

#3 midnightblue

midnightblue

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted October 19 2007 - 06:40 PM

A better mixture would be hydromorphone 12mg and oxycotin 40mg. :D

#4 LightBred

LightBred

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted October 20 2007 - 11:47 AM

keep up with the amount of acetaminophen you put in your body

#5 AreYouExperienced

AreYouExperienced

American Victim

• Members
  • 1,093 posts

Posted October 20 2007 - 12:27 PM

Mixing codeine with codeine is usually not a problem.......

#6 jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted October 23 2007 - 05:40 PM

Mixing codeine with codeine is usually not a problem.......

neither are codeine

#7 zaljereck

zaljereck

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted October 26 2008 - 01:13 AM

neither are codeine

Actually....yes they are. There is a common misconception that Oxycodone is morphine based....it isn't. They are both Codeine based. I have talked with my Pharmacists in great detail about the difference between Hydro and Oxy. They're pretty much the same drug, just different potency. About a 2 to 1 ratio. In other words, if you have two 5/325 Hydrocodone, that would equal about the same effects as a 512(5mg/325)Oxycodone. If you have any other questions regarding either of these two drugs, please PM me, I'd be glad to help.

Good Day.

#8 Feelings Of U4ia

Feelings Of U4ia

• 1,882 posts

Posted October 26 2008 - 05:54 PM

Actually....yes they are. There is a common misconception that Oxycodone is morphine based....it isn't. They are both Codeine based. I have talked with my Pharmacists in great detail about the difference between Hydro and Oxy. They're pretty much the same drug, just different potency. About a 2 to 1 ratio. In other words, if you have two 5/325 Hydrocodone, that would equal about the same effects as a 512(5mg/325)Oxycodone. If you have any other questions regarding either of these two drugs, please PM me, I'd be glad to help.

Good Day.

Wrong.

Oxycodone is synthesized from Thebaine, codeine isn't. Codeine is found in Poppys, Oxycodone isn't. You really shouldn't post information you know NOTHING about, it's not safe.

That is the worst information I have read on this forum, ever. Oxycodone is codeine based? Haha, wow. Learn some things before you attempt at answering a post, it's not safe to post false information.

Morphine AND Codeine are both derived from poppys. Oxycodone is synthesized from Thebaine. Where do you get your information? How did the "pharmacists" you know ever pass the PCAT? LOL.

Hydrocodone and Oxycodone are not similar, in strength, or chemically.

Codeine and Oxycodone are so different from each other it's amazing that someone is claiming that Oxycodone is Codeine based. Haha. This is honestly the most false information I have seen on this forum in my entire time here.

Good day.

#9 kil0

kil0

The Rebel

• Members
  • 2,214 posts

Posted October 26 2008 - 06:00 PM

^lmao I was gonna write the same shit but I knew u4ia would do it, so I saved myself the time of typing it all out heheh.
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."
~Leo Tolstoy

Posted Image

#10 zaljereck

zaljereck

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted October 26 2008 - 09:13 PM

Wrong.

Oxycodone is synthesized from Thebaine, codeine isn't. Codeine is found in Poppys, Oxycodone isn't. You really shouldn't post information you know NOTHING about, it's not safe.

That is the worst information I have read on this forum, ever. Oxycodone is codeine based? Haha, wow. Learn some things before you attempt at answering a post, it's not safe to post false information.

Morphine AND Codeine are both derived from poppys. Oxycodone is synthesized from Thebaine. Where do you get your information? How did the "pharmacists" you know ever pass the PCAT? LOL.

Hydrocodone and Oxycodone are not similar, in strength, or chemically.

Codeine and Oxycodone are so different from each other it's amazing that someone is claiming that Oxycodone is Codeine based. Haha. This is honestly the most false information I have seen on this forum in my entire time here.

Good day.

Never said they were the same thing. "Oxycodone is a strong narcotic pain-reliever and cough suppressant similar to morphine, codeine and hydrocodone. The precise mechanism of action is not known but may involve stimulation of opioid receptors in the brain. Oxycodone increases pain tolerance and decreases discomfort, but the presence of pain is still apparent. In addition to pain reduction, oxycodone also causes sedation and respiratory depression. The FDA approved oxycodone in 1976."

So are we playing symatecs? I never stated they were THE SAME THING. I never though they were. I simply stated that they are both Codeine based pills. Thebane is VERY simlar to Codeine. It's found in Opium. And again very very similar to Codeine. My information is and was not harmful in any way what-so-ever. I'm sorry that you feel that way. And the discussion was about Hydrocodone and Oxycodone....are the both safe to take together? ABSOLUTELY. I mean everyone's body is different and you never know, but medically it makes sense because they are pretty much the same pill. According to globalrph.com 1 7.5 Hydrocodone is equal to 5mg of Oxycodone. So basically, the Oxy is a bit strong by 1.5 times. Other than that, the chemical make up is pretty much the same. If we aren't splitting hair and trying to start arguments that is.

#11 Feelings Of U4ia

Feelings Of U4ia

• 1,882 posts

Posted October 26 2008 - 09:58 PM

Never said they were the same thing. "Oxycodone is a strong narcotic pain-reliever and cough suppressant similar to morphine, codeine and hydrocodone. The precise mechanism of action is not known but may involve stimulation of opioid receptors in the brain. Oxycodone increases pain tolerance and decreases discomfort, but the presence of pain is still apparent. In addition to pain reduction, oxycodone also causes sedation and respiratory depression. The FDA approved oxycodone in 1976."

So are we playing symatecs? I never stated they were THE SAME THING. I never though they were. I simply stated that they are both Codeine based pills. Thebane is VERY simlar to Codeine. It's found in Opium. And again very very similar to Codeine. My information is and was not harmful in any way what-so-ever. I'm sorry that you feel that way. And the discussion was about Hydrocodone and Oxycodone....are the both safe to take together? ABSOLUTELY. I mean everyone's body is different and you never know, but medically it makes sense because they are pretty much the same pill. According to globalrph.com 1 7.5 Hydrocodone is equal to 5mg of Oxycodone. So basically, the Oxy is a bit strong by 1.5 times. Other than that, the chemical make up is pretty much the same. If we aren't splitting hair and trying to start arguments that is.

You said Oxycodone is Codeine based. Wrong.

You said "both" are codeine based pills, which....is wrong! So you really don't have a response. Nothing of what you are saying makes sense. Codeine and Thebaine being similar is wrong. So just stop....you have not a clue what you are getting into.

You are wrong, this is your second post, you have no idea what you are trying to get into. I will just again say you are wrong, and advise you to stop. Thanks.

#12 The Mushroom Man

The Mushroom Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted October 26 2008 - 11:07 PM

As much of an ass as u4ia is being, I've got to agree with him. I don't really know much about pharmacology, but I do know that neither oxy or hydro break down into codeine or morphine (which is why neither are usually detected in a standard drug test). So based on that, I assume that if they were codeine based, then they would break down into it, which would lead to them being detected in a drug test, which they are not. If I am way outa the ballpark here, please tell me, but that just seems logical.

But seriously, u4ia, chill the fuck out on the guy. His info was harmful in any way, and you just have such a holier-than-thou tone, it makes it really hard for people to take advice or corrections from you.

The Mushroom Man

Alcoholics look down on stoners
Stoners look down on pill poppers
Pill poppers look down on H heads
H heads look down on coke heads
Coke heads look down on crack heads
Crack heads look down on meth heads
Meth heads look down on themselves.

The sad reality of the drug culture...

I was going nuts I kept thinking I was turning gay or something... So for like 2 months I didn't smoke or listen to techno for a while. Also I stopped looking so metro sexual/pretty boy/Preppy for about 2 weeks. I also didn't wear my Collared shirts flipped up for about 2 weeks. I mean it tottally freaked me out.

:smilielol5:

#13 Feelings Of U4ia

Feelings Of U4ia

• 1,882 posts

Posted October 26 2008 - 11:40 PM

Sorry, but I don't take kindly to people making their FIRST post as attacking another person for being wrong, when they are giving wrong information.

If you know what you are talking about, I have no problem.

#14 zaljereck

zaljereck

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 02:24 AM

I would like to know what your qualifications are please? Do you have any?

Sorry, but I don't take kindly to people making their FIRST post as attacking another person for being wrong, when they are giving wrong information.

#15 zaljereck

zaljereck

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 02:27 AM

Not to mention you still don't disagree obviously that Hydro and Oxy aren't safe to take together. So Dr. Bob....in you're opinion...are they safe to take together. I would like to hear what you have to say on the subject, being only 23 and such a drug expert.

#16 zaljereck

zaljereck

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 02:34 AM

"thebaine is chemically similar to both morphine and codeine" quoted from Wiki....maybe you should create a new Wiki page since you're the ongoing expert on Oxy and Thebaine.

#17 Feelings Of U4ia

Feelings Of U4ia

• 1,882 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 03:34 PM

I have already posted everything explaining why you were wrong, if you are having trouble understanding it, just keep re-reading it.

Please don't continue with me, it's not helping this at all.

Oxycodone and Hydrocodone taken together is not a dangerous combo. Obviously you need to worry about the APAP, but those two substances combined is not going to give any sort of negative interaction.

#18 Euphorial

Euphorial

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 05:57 PM

U4ia came off as pretty harsh (which is normal for him :D), but you DID post incorrect information.

Thebaine is SIMILAR to codeine, but by itself causes DYSPHORIA. It must be altered in order to form oxycodone, which will cause EUPHORIA. Codeine by itself causes euphoria, and does not need to be altered. Hydro & Oxy is safe, just judge your dosage correctly.

:hat:
¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
¨°º¤ø„¸ DO NOT EVER ¸„ø¤º°¨
¸„ø¤º°¨ SMOKE PILLS!!! ``°º¤ø„¸
¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø

SWIM: Someone is Watching my Internets, Mommy!

you just linked me to something the DEA said. Immediate fail.

**official fan of Mr. Writer's sig pictures**

#19 Eagles06

Eagles06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 05:46 PM

ok, everyone chill.... but yes, U4ia is right in this argument... the one thing the OP said that is tru is that Oxy and Hydro are simliar but Oxy is 1.5x stronger than Hydro not twice the strength.

#20 Feelings Of U4ia

Feelings Of U4ia

• 1,882 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 09:22 PM

ok, everyone chill.... but yes, U4ia is right in this argument... the one thing the OP said that is tru is that Oxy and Hydro are simliar but Oxy is 1.5x stronger than Hydro not twice the strength.

This is questionable, but I would say 1.5x is correct. My friend who is in his third year of pharmacy school tries to tell me that Oxycodone is no stronger then Hydrocodone. Remind me never to go to that school.

#21 Lucy7277

Lucy7277

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted January 03 2010 - 01:09 PM

I am normally using 3 10/325 Hydros and got some 7.5 percoset. I haven't ever used percoset before is it better? and how many should I use to get the same relief?Are they the same strength compared to each other?

#22 Triptronic

Triptronic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted January 08 2010 - 11:00 PM

I am normally using 3 10/325 Hydros and got some 7.5 percoset. I haven't ever used percoset before is it better? and how many should I use to get the same relief?Are they the same strength compared to each other?

if you want simple pain relief, and arent looking for a great high, i suggest just taking two 7.5 percocets or maybe 3 if you want to feel something nice. and to midnightblue shut up, you know her tolerance is low if shes talking about taking 2 or 3 percs lol, think its good to abuse oxy? its not, when your fuckin killing 200mg - 300mg + let me know how much fun your having when you cant get any.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#23 aidanspops85

aidanspops85

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted March 25 2010 - 09:11 PM

i though oxycontin and oxycodone when metabolised in the liver broke down into oxymorphone... i dont much about any more than that but i dont think thats anything like codeine... i may be wrong but i might be right... just stating my 2 cents

#24 hahaha04

hahaha04

Whatevers Clever

• Members
  • 3,717 posts
  • LocationLiving as ATLien

Posted March 28 2010 - 11:41 AM

Good Day.

that is absolutely incorrect

[SIGPIC]http://alexgrey.net/img/theologue2.jpg[/SIGPIC]

And I refuse to let past bruises cover MY light,
It ain't all good, but it's all good enough so I know I'm alright.

#25 bamaplayboy

bamaplayboy

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted November 29 2010 - 11:19 PM

All of these meds come either directly from the poppy or are synthesized to "replicate" the same properties of the "natural" opiates. Opiates are made from the opium poppy. Other similar drugs are made by chemists and are often called OPIOIDS. The most common legal opiates or opioids include fentanyl, hydromorphone, morphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, and methadone. Here is the buster....hydrocodone IS available without acetaminophen or ibuprophen....but not in the U.S.! The closest thing in the U.S. is hycodan...

U4ia.....Hydrocodone and Oxycodone are not similar, in strength, or chemically???.......um yeah oxy is more potent @ a 2 to 1 ratio. U4ia... Oxycodone is synthesized from Thebaine, but thebaine is a derivative of the poppy as is codeine. Also, hydocodone and oxycodone are VERY similar chemically in that they both are made synthetically (actually both are semi-synthetic which means they have man made and natural compounds which do come from the poppy) to mimic the pain relieving effects of opium, a DIRECT derivative of the poppy. I wont get into the argument. I am a pharmacist with a company i will not mention. I just want you all to be aware. Read below... feel free to respond

It looks like the FDA is poised to ban the painkillers Percocet (essentially Oxycodone with Acetaminophen) and Vicodin (Hydrocodone with Acetaminophen) because they both contain Acetaminophen.

Acetaminophen has been proven to cause liver damage, and is the leading cause of Acute Liver Failure in the United States.

Smart of the FDA to take this action then, right?

Yes!

From what I understand, if doctors need to prescribe Percocet in the future, they can simply prescribe Oxycontin and Tylenol separately, or other Oxycodone compounds. Similarly, in place of Vicodin, they could prescribe other Hydrocodone compounds with other drugs, such as Ibuprofen.

However, unlike Oxycodone, doctors cannot prescribe Hydrocodone by itself plus a Tylenol prescription separately.

This is because in the US, you cannot prescribe Hydrocodone without it being combined with another drug.

Why Hydrocodone is not available without other drugs such as Acetaminophen is the dark side of this story.

Up until now, the FDA has prohibited Hydrocodone (the opiate in Vicodin), from being sold in the United States *unless* it is combined with another drug as a compound – far and away, Acetaminophen being the most popular (and most dangerous).

The question is why did the government insist that, unlike the more powerful opiate Oxycodone (which is available standalone, as Oxycontin), Hydrocodone not be prescribed by itself?

From my amateur research around the net, the answer seems to be some unusually sinister legislation originating from The War On Drugs.

In some patients, Hydrocodone can be habit-forming, and its a popular drug of abuse. The FDA wanted to make sure there was something else in the drug that people *wouldn’t* want to take too much of to discourage abuse.

Introducing Acetaminophen.

Its been known since 1970′s that too much Acetaminophen causes the unwanted side effects such as stomach upset and liver damage. So the FDA figured if that was in there too, people wouldn’t want to take too much of it.

Basically, for all intents and purposes, the FDA made an important and popular drug more harmful to discourage abuse.

Besides the fact that this was completely unethical and has probably resulted in the unnecessary liver damage and deaths of countless Americans (the vast majority legitimately ill patients to begin with), there is yet one more irony to this approach:

Many Vicodin users and addicts likely have no idea whatsoever that the government put Acetaminophen in there in the first place, nor what the reason and consequences of the Acetaminophen component are.

In other words, instead of being dissuaded from abusing the drug as intended, most Vicodin users were likely just thoughtlessly destroying their liver.

Now, if your a drug addict, I’m sure you know that drug addiction can have serious consequences on your health and perhaps even cause death – the insidious point is that the devastating liver damage they were experiencing was a conscious and deliberate act of the US government, and not intrinsic to their addiction.

Of course, there are some savvy Vicodin addicts who know how (and why) to chemically remove the Acetaminophen before taking Vicodin (and why they should), but the complexity probably makes this a tiny and fortunate minority.

Now, this isn’t to say that up until now Vicodin would not have been a popular compound with doctors anyway even without the government ban (its very effective as a combination) – plus, Hydrocodone is available as a compound with other alternate drugs besides Acetaminophen as well (such as Ibuprofen).

The real problem is all of the people who destroyed their liver who might have otherwise been prescribed Hydrocodone standalone (as Oxycontin is today), and all of the drug addicts who destroyed their liver with Acetaminophen because there is absolutely no standalone Hydrocodone available on the black market.

In a sense, Acetaminophen was used similarly to the way the government used Paraquat on Marijuana farms – stop people abusing drugs by making them poisonous.

#26 Oxly358

Oxly358

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 07:52 PM

Good Day.

you should know that hydrocodone is metabolized via liver into hydromorphone and oxycodone is metabolized via liver into oxymorphone not a large percent but some around 5 percent of dose so no person that thinks you know it all giving wrong advise... they are safe to take together just don't over do on the apap as far as them both bein codeine that is retarded they are related but NO they are no both codeine.. im a pharm tech ..... do not listen to said person i quoted advise bc he/she/it does not know wtf they are talking about... get facts straight pls and as far as I know there are special compounds of hydrocodone that are just pure hydro they are schedule 2 instead of 3... but as i stated they are special compounds and very rarely in the U.S do pharmacy's carry the supplies to do it.Any question ask away