Iowa-Designs on Barns??

Discussion in 'U.S.A.' started by Shroomgirl880, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Shroomgirl880

Shroomgirl880 Member

Anyone from Iowa or around Iowa know what the colorful geometric type designs are that are found on some barns and farm buildings throughout the state. For my job I travel all thru Iowa and I see them everywere. They are always square with a colorful geometric design on them. I will get some pictures to post up if anyone would like me to.

2. sublime94

sublime94 Banned

just art that farmers put up in boredom in the offseason. Im not from there, but thats my guess.

3. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

i did a google. there called patchwork barns or quilt barns. i assume they were made simply for decoration, that or like a family crest or brand.. pretty cool tho.

4. Shroomgirl880

Shroomgirl880 Member

5. Shroomgirl880

Shroomgirl880 Member

I did some research. Every county in Iowa has a quilt hanging somewhere like at the tourism place or at a rest stop.Then there are barns and buildings scattered throughout each particular county and these particular barns or buildings will have one square patchwork colored design frpm their counites quilt hanging where cars passing by can see them. The whole idea was designed to promote tourism in Iowa. They are really neat, and would be something to do when driving by on your way to do something else of interest in the state.............I broke my digital camera so when I get a new one I will post up some pics of a few that I drive by frequently.....

6. 60sChickee

60sChickee Member

the barn quilt project is normally done by local 4-H'ers... it started out on a lot of the century farm barns, but now I know most any who apply can get one... the quilt patterns were chosen to preserve the history of the patterns...

try making a real quilt by hand one time... I did a double wedding ring one by hand when I was about 22 or so I guess... amazing the crafts we have forgotten...