Does anyone agree...

Discussion in 'Activism' started by get stoked, Oct 9, 2007.

1. get stoked

get stoked Member

that protests are starting to seem like an "in" thing. Like it's almost cool to be part of it, if you're not there you're square kind of thing? With all of these hipsters and anarcho-punk breeds, it's almost impossible to find a legit protest with a legit cause these days.

Nothing really has an effect on our government or whatever else the protest is directed towards... they're pointless nowadays.

2. The Indy Hippy

The Indy Hippy Member

Man I guess I can see your point but..... how do you think the Supreme Court finally tried to abolish those damn anti-privacy laws? Granted they succeded and failed at the same time but still... it was cause of all the cats protesting it that it was even attempted. As long as you try things can get done. You just gotta want to try, dig? Well peace out man.

3. sped

sped Member

Yeah, and theres not enough people standing up for real causes, but then again, what a "real" cause to me may not be considered "real" to you

4. get stoked

get stoked Member

If it's a real cause, the open minded person would most likely agree. An open-mind is the only mind and you have to have a mind to be right.

5. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

I disagree.

Without the marches and conventions there would have been no Civil Rights Act. No vote for women, no Equal Rights Amendment, you'd have to wait until you were 21 to vote although you could be drafted at eighteen.

These are just a few things that protest has accomplished. Those in power would like you to think they have no impact, but if that's the case why do we have more than one executive order trying to limit them?

I think our founding fathers found the act of protest worth protecting.
    [/size]
    I welcome this change in mindset by the American people. It's much healthier than all that rah rah patriotic bull, and the demonization of entire religions and races.

What you see as not legit may be quite important to the other guy.

6. Shamanic Steve

Shamanic Steve Member

Riot > Peaceful protest.

Sorry hipsters. Its true.

7. get stoked

get stoked Member

Within the last 10 years, what protest has gotten anywhere? They get media coverage, but that means nothing.

Protests these days are just another reason for some hipster to make a facebook group...

8. gardener

Many movements take decades to in order to be successful. Look at the Civl and Equal Rights movements they didn't happen in weeks or months. They took years and generations in order succeed.

Public outcry against Blackwater made congress hold hearings and perhaps they'll reel them in. Public outcry has also stopped other legislation.

Public opinion matters to those that seek to sell us goods. Riot does not translate to peaceful protest...sorry young testosterone driven males, you'll have to seek your glory somewhere else, if violence is your goal.

Public opinion is the only thing holding the draft back.

9. gardener

You only going to protest if you are guarranteed a result? You never stood up for something just because you thought what was happening was wrong?

Facebook...what the hell is that? Is it like MySpace, two sites I don't belong to, and probably never will. I can find friends and communicate with them without belonging to social sites. I understand there are more of them cropping up every minute since MySpace made so much money for their creators. I come to HipForums for contact with old hippies like myself, and the sometimes refreshing fact that the younger generation isn't totally market oriented.

10. Uncle_Asshatt

Uncle_Asshatt Banned

The problem is that hippy morons are staging things like "Get Naked for Peace!" and "Make a Big-Ass Quilt for Peace!" instead of getting involved in the process.

Support a candidate you like. Volunteer, vote, help raise money, donate, whatever.

But don't stage a bunch of Bullshit like an "Art Show for Peace!" and expect to make a difference.

11. gardener

I disagree. The Aids Quilt actually did a lot for bringing to the forefront the ongoing need for research and treatment for that community. Every contribution adds to the purpose of the protest, no matter how small you see that contribution. It's better than total apathy and compliance.

12. gardener

I'd rather see people get naked for peace than governments bomb countries for oil! Hard to hide a gun when you're naked. I'd rather our governments got naked for oil, at least everything would be out in the open. And it would be pretty obvious who had the what when it came to WMD.

13. streetkid

streetkid Banned

im pretty sure there was a war in there somewhere too leading up

i could be wrong i wasnt alive

14. Mellow Yellow

Mellow Yellow Electrical Banana

Just make sure you don't protest at the Republican National Convention.

15. gardener

Don't they teach about the Civil Rights movement in schools anymore. Martin Luther King...???

As far as a war, maybe you are thinking of the Korean Conflict? But that actually took place before (1950-53) the Civil Rights movement got off the ground in 1955. I am not sure it had much to do with the Civil Rights movement.

I think you can look at about any time period and find a war or conflict going on somewhere. That's what keeps the gears running in the Military Industrial Complex.

16. streetkid

streetkid Banned

i was referring to the civil war

granted it was earlier on but still civil rights did not come without bloodshed

17. gardener

Are you promoting violence as the only viable form of protest?

18. streetkid

streetkid Banned

19. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

i think violent protesting only leads to jail

20. lilyflowerr

lilyflowerr Member

violent protests jut give the protesters a bad name but then again my motto is do whatever it takes to fight for what you want

we organize protests and fundraisers in school on certain issues and i dont do it cause its "in" i do it because its what i believe but i wish there something more I, a 17yr old girl could do .. i mean maybe there is maybe i just have to get out there more?