hearing voices while stoned

Discussion in 'Medicinal Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Dreamoftheiris, Oct 4, 2007.

1. footloose

footloose Member

I get that. I don't really think too much of it cos I can't hear what they say, it just happens. I kinda thought everyone got it (well this thread suggests some people do).

2. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

its not delusion.. its not marijuana making you crazy.. marijuana is a MILD hallucinogen

3. ClonaTHC

ClonaTHC Member

A recent study done in the UK shown that heavy cannabis use over the period of years, increases risk of mental disorders, mostly psychosis, rarely schizophrenia. This applies to younger people usually.

"Cannabis use has been linked to psychosis by several peer-reviewed studies. A 1987 Swedish study claiming a link between cannabis use and schizophrenia was criticized for not differentiating between cannabis use and the use of other narcotics, and its results have not been verified by other studies. More recently, the Dunedin Multidisciplinary Health and Development Study published research showing an increased risk of psychosis for cannabis users with a certain genetic predisposition, held by 25% of the population.[47] In 2007, a study published in The Lancet and a poll of mental health experts showed that a growing number of medical health practitioners are convinced that cannabis use increases susceptibility to mental illness, accounting for 14% of United Kingdom psychosis cases; however, the risk to an individual smoking cannabis is only increased by 2%" - Wikipedia (Cannabis [drug])

This study shows how it can happen to people with a certain gene:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10122930

Also, from Erowid.com, this says it can increase it anyway, if you have any sort of possibility: "can precipitate or exacerbate latent or existing mental disorders"

4. Dreamoftheiris

Dreamoftheiris Member

Thanks, but I don't have psychosis. For one, it only happened once when high and I never had delusions. That's a tall tale sign of psychosis and frankly I feel that's what makes a person psychotic. Hearing voices is not necessarily a sign of insanity. There are many people who do hear voices and lead perfectly normal lives.

5. ClonaTHC

ClonaTHC Member

I didn't imply you have it, I am just stated some facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosis

What my point is, is that psychosis starts out very slow, and very subtle. For instance if a person hears someone calling them a name more then once, they should see a doctor to get it under control before it develops. Hell, any of us could have in years to come. Main thing is not to worry I suppose.

CLONA

6. YogiZeon

YogiZeon Member

Yeah, go to a doctor to.... get it under control? You mean get more drugs in your system?

7. ClonaTHC

ClonaTHC Member

Drugs have their place, I have been there and back again. Drugs help, they don't cure, but they can help heal.

8. YogiZeon

YogiZeon Member

I'm not arguing with the legitimacy of what you're talking about, Clona. And I appreciate education and research. Thanks for pointing it out.

9. ClonaTHC

ClonaTHC Member

No problem. Glad to discuss it with you.

10. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

there are no studies that prove marijuana causes psychosis.. only studies that show that marijuana can effect people that have good chances of having psychosis.. like coming from a family with a history mental health issues... and Wiki is never a reliable source for anything

11. goofydrummer

goofydrummer Senior Member

I hear voices when Im really stoned. Nothing that Ill take seriously. The voices dont say go kill people or even anything understandable, but its just a weird occurance that happens when ive smoked too much headies. It doesnt have to be voices either, it could be strance sounds too.

12. ClonaTHC

ClonaTHC Member

Yes, which 25% of the population carries that gene. I hope your not one of those marijuana-don't-cause-anything people. Man you eat too much potatoes you can develop something. It's like that with everything. Anything that changes brain chemistry, obviously has some effect. They say that psychosis "can" come to those who use pot, and who carries that gene. 25% is kinda high.

13. Dreamoftheiris

Dreamoftheiris Member

What exactly is this gene?

14. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

[​IMG]

15. ClonaTHC

ClonaTHC Member

The gene is called COMT and everyone has two copies - one inherited from each parent - which then develop into one of three different combinations. The cannabis-vulnerable combination occurs in 25 per cent of the population.

16. Dreamoftheiris

Dreamoftheiris Member

How do you know if your vulnerable?

17. CloudFlower

CloudFlower Member

Depending on how good the bud is, yes I do hear things... and occasionally see things.

18. Dreamoftheiris

Dreamoftheiris Member

Wait so basically if both sides of your family have pretty stable mental health histories then nothing to worry about, right?

19. ClonaTHC

ClonaTHC Member

That's a good question Dreamoftheiris. I'm not really sure myself. Genes can be funny sometimes. Like all my family have been free of mental illness, me on the other hand, have panic attacks. I don't know why, but I have to live to with it. Some research maybe able to answer your question.

But as far as I know, if mental illness is in your family, you have a greater chance. If your family doesn't then there is less of a chance.

20. M4N14C42O

M4N14C42O Cannabis Connoisseur

This is off-topic quite a bit but with all this medical talk i figured id add something. I know a couple growers who have been growing for 10-15 yrs and have been smoking for longer. They can no longer smoke.......something to do with being around the plants so much and rubbing up against them alot......they break out with crazy hives, nausea, and can make them quite sick. This is very rare, and im not sure what they are diagnosed with.....but when they tend to there MJ garden they practically put on the equivalent of a space suit!!! They love to grow, and make a small profit from it, but they just can't smoke it anymore!! Really feel bad for 'em.