The BBC actually LISTENED to my Rant & Changed Programming!

Discussion in 'The Media' started by skip, Oct 3, 2007.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I don't want to take all the credit because I'm sure others wrote similar letters to mine, but it seems the BBC responded positively to my suggestions to them.

I was so sick of BBC America's programming, I wrote them a long rant about it several months ago, making suggestions to improve it. I explained that here on the west coast of the USA during prime time TV, all we got to see where tired re-runs of Benny Hill and Who's Line is it Anyway, over and over thru the evening.

I can't imagine they had many viewers for those endless repeats of ancient programming. Like the BBC, with it's enormous storehouse of programs couldn't come up with anything more suited for Americans during prime time...

What really griped me though, was their pathetic newscasts, aired only once a day for a half-hour at a bad time (4pm in my time zone). The great BBC, once the world standard for news broadcasts couldn't do more than that? I suggested more live news to them, at an hour when people on the West coast would prefer to see news.

So now, not only have they removed both those pathetic shows from their lineup and put GOOD new shows in their places (like Hotel Babylon - highly recommended!), but they also put on a full hour of PRIME-TIME news at 7pm PST, the best time for me to view it.

So you see, YOU CAN INFLUENCE THE MEDIA! You just need to write them over and over, and eventually they'll get the message!

I can't believe they had that awful lineup for at least 2 years before I complained! And I was just about to drop them from my cable company's lineup... (I have to pay extra for them and a few other channels)

2. emelia

emelia the resident gangsta

woooooooooooo go you! I must admit though, I think the BBC would feel more inclined to have a respectable lineup than other television channels; I think they pride themselves on being awesome, rather than just profit. :D

3. skip

I miss BBC 1 & 2... :(

What's BBC 4 like? I've never watched it, only heard about it.

emelia, You look exactly like your avatar! :)

I've been to Fuerteventura. I really enjoyed it. The beaches are beautiful.

4. lithium

lithium frogboy

BBC4 is fantastic, like BBC2 but without the crappy lifestyle shows. Intelligent original programming, interesting shows from overseas (we're just getting Flight of the Conchords from HBO) and repeats of classic BBC documentaries and series. http://www.uknova.com is a fabulous torrent site for UK-only programming, almost anything of any interest, including mucho stuff from BBC4 goes up there for about a month after broadcast. It's restricted / limited membership but is free to join.

5. Flight From Ashiya

Flight From Ashiya Senior Member

I agree that BBC4 is moderately interesting.To me the BBC is one huge 'gravy train',sponging up the reuenues of the British t.v. licence payers.Basically,if you live in Britain & you switch on a television:-you have to pay a t.v. licence fee of £131.50p,regardless of whether you watch the BBC or not.I know that it has had past success at exporting programmes to America such as: 'Dr.Who','Allo Allo','Are You Being Served','Monty Python's Flying Circus' & 'The Forsyte Saga' but nowdays quality programme production has all but dried up.

6. beau99

beau99 Member

As a fan of the British "Whose Line" episodes, I must say that I'm not too happy now...

Yeah, networks need to change lineups on occasion, but my day is never complete without watching British "Whose Line".

7. skip

You should definitely check out "Hotel Babylon". Best thing I've seen from the Beeb in years! :) Wednesday nights.

8. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

It seems to me that that BBC television in more recent years has gone down a more popularist path. When was the last time we had a series like Civilisation or The Ascent of Man?

Radio 4 is the thinking person's radio station for the UK. In recent years attempts to increase ratings for the station have backfired and they not have an audience of about 6 million people from a previous audience of 7 million people.

I once did send them an email suggesting for some documentaries of a global nature they could co-produce with Radio National -the thinking person's radio station for Australia. The BBC World Service has done at least a couple of co-productions with Radio National, one of rubbish & recycling and another on rice.

9. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Is it possible to get BBC from the internet?

Yes. You can email them or send them a text message as well, and they do read a lot of listener comments, both good and bad. Their web site is at

http://bbc.co.uk/

There are also a lot of National Public Radio stations that carry the BBC after-hours.

When I worked a 4-midnight shift, I would keep the BBC on all night long after getting home. I enjoyed it tremendously. A few of the things I liked:

-They actually talk to you like you're an adult, or at least an older, attentive child. American radio news is complete shit, absolutely worthless, and insulting to just listen to. It makes me actually angry to hear newscasters in America, delivering the news to us as if we're inattentive retarded kids who have been dropped on our heads.

-They have interesting stories. It might be about cell phone coverage in Sudan, or about BDSM clubs in Hungary, or whatever. Almost anything in the world might be covered and discussed.

-They don't use the word "terrorists." They make an effort to speak English rather than Newspeak. They actually deliberately try to avoid language that's polarizing and emotional, rather than going out of their way to maximize the usage of such terms, as is done in the American media.

-They're not afraid to ask questions of guests. Often hard and tough questions. I remember a Bush Admin asshole being interviewed once, and you could tell that he was quite unprepared for a media that actually thinks and asks good questions, rather than simply giving the filthy piece of shit the time to spin his tale of BS.

Count me as a major advocate of the BBC.

10. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

See my previos post about Radio National.
    The website,

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/

You can stream audio and limited number of programs are available on podcast. You need the basic free versionof Realplayer. Don't bother trying to use the Micro$oft one even though the website says you can.

11. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

I actually made sure to be at home by midnight when I was 16, 17, etc. so I could watch Benny Hill. Got most of his stuff on VHS. Should have it converted to DVD while I still can.