Most Important Issue Today?

Discussion in 'Activist Polls' started by skip, Sep 28, 2007.

1. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Global Warming jeeze the media has gotten to you. Hope you enjoy the increased commodities and gas prices. While you watch your civil rights eroded in the name of fighting terrorism and global warming a handful of people will become very powerful and rich.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I agree, global warming isn't the most important issue to worry about. Earth, and thus pollution is though.

3. gardener

Without the freedom to live your own life or speak your mind, the well being of the earth has little relevance.

You can pick up your own trash, choose not drive...but as long as the world is involved in wars that pollute our world and transport their warriors and bombs in vehicles spewing carbom pollutants, what difference do our lives and lifestyles make?

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm sorry, I ment to say one of the most important issues. Solving wars and injustice and wrecking the earth at the same time is the same thing.

5. nodirectionhome

nodirectionhome Member

People are entitled to their own opinions; just because you disagree, doesn't mean they've been brainwashed by the media. I myself do not know what I think is most important, but I'm starting to see how people are more worried about global warming than they are about civil rights and the "war on terror."

I think people have a right to be worried about global warming -- it is, after all, changing the world's climate patterns, and causing glacier melts, rising sea levels, and bigger droughts/floods/storms.

There are also issues of justice involved in the environmental movement. Where do the toxic plants go? By the neighborhoods of the minorities and the lower class. Who is being affected by global warming, and the industrialism and greed that drive it? The lower classes, minorities, and people in "third world" countries -- just look at New Orleans, the people of Appalachia, native Alaskans, Africans, and the people of Pacific Islands that are sinking into the ocean.

If you think about it, violence against the Earth and violence against people are conneted. They're both perpetrated by humans who have the idea that they are dominant (over the Earth, or over other people). There is, for instace, rape of the Earth and rape of women, because humans/men think they should have power over everything feminine -- there's coal/oil mining and torture, because humans/Americans believe we're important enough to harm others/the Earth for what we perceive to be our benefit -- there's war, because humans have to prove how powerful they are by murdering each other and by destroying the environment in the process. It's greed, it's machismo, it's priviledge, it's inequality, and it's domination by males/White people/Americans/corporations/special interests/governments/majority groups/et al. These power structures allow both violations of human rights and violations of the Earth to occur.

6. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

Ah, but honestly, "global warming" MIGHT be due to humans mucking about as rapists, or it COULD be due to natural regular earth changes which have been documented over the course of history and well studied. The biggest problem is OUR SELVES and how we REACT to the things around us. THAT is the biggest world wide problem of all time. The people and their actions. We had better get used to the idea that the climate is different than it used to be. We had better stick together and work together in order to figure out ways to survive it. I think the most important issue that connects to and causes all other issues is HUMAN RELATIONS! Without figuring THAT out, we will just keep sliding down the slippery slope.

7. gardener

And Global Warming may just be the next fear mongering marketing tool.

8. gardener

I choose to think that war and killing is a more immediate concern. And I wonder why just twenty years ago I was warned against a next ice age, due to flourocarbons.

http://www.denisdutton.com/cooling_world.htm

Notice the similarities in the hype.

9. happyhippie90

happyhippie90 Member

i agree

10. Mellow Yellow

Mellow Yellow Electrical Banana

EXACTLY! We need to look at the root cause of all our problems. Until we can learn to RESPECT one another and our environment, and work together instead of this competitive bullshit, we won't get too far.

11. happyhippie90

happyhippie90 Member

i agree

12. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

That's just bizarre!

13. LucyInTheSky777

LucyInTheSky777 Member

i can't rank them. They are all so huge. i guess if you twisted my arm, i would say global warming. if you don't have a habitable planet to live on, you're dead, so nothing else really makes a difference.

i find it increasingly hard to take part in a society i disagree with so much.

14. BlazingDervish

BlazingDervish Banned

Peak water. Which will probably remain at the bottom of people's priorities until wars start breaking out over it.

15. evansmj90

evansmj90 Member

It is hard to rank such issues as they are all important but global warming is up there cuz it will affect evry1 and at this point in time ther hasnt been any major action taken against it at the moment - hopefully the forum at bali this month will do something.

16. IdentityCrisis

IdentityCrisis Member

My answer was censorship... and I think this is because censorship ultimately affects society's perception of all of the other issues on the poll. I think that if more attention was given to issues like Darfur, such as education through schools, media, etc. people would care more to do more about it. Ultimately I think that the world is highly censored from issues going on in the world, and therefore feels no guilt for refraining from doing anything about it. Just watching CNN, it is an all-American news station, rarely featuring anything international unless the US is directly related (ie. in a war with said country). I was even watching the BBC and their entire "International" segment was ALL U.S. news or news that relates to the U.S. (ie. war in iraq and the US involvement in it).

17. treeflower89

treeflower89 Member

the war in iraq is huge, so is the enviromental problems! also, how deceptive the damn president and gov. and media as a whole! im sick of them tryin 2 morph us.. i wish people would take a stand!!

18. Celtic Hippie

Celtic Hippie Member

I said human rights, but their all SO important
    4 8 15 16 23 42...WHAT DOES IT MEAN!!!!
    You like lost too?
    Peace

19. Fancyabongripski420

Fancyabongripski420 Member

i think GLOBAL WARMING is pretty big now days...

20. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

reducing population.