I want to homeschool...how?

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by green faerie, Sep 18, 2007.

1. green faerie

green faerie m L e

okay, so i'm a junior in south carolina. i realllly want to homeschool, my mom is a teacher and is willing to let me but isnt big on instructing me because she knows i'm fully capable of teaching myself (about a year total of my high school has been self paced, self taught online and on paper study in alternative programs). i plan on going to community college and need some sort of viable diploma because my mom is vehemently opposed to me having a GED. oh and whatever i do has to be cheap, we aren't exactly rolling in money. how should i do this? i've never homeschooled before, i'm pretty much clueless.

2. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

The laws are different for each state. You will have to inquire locally for the regulations where you live.

Ask your school teachers. I bet they can point you in the right direction.

On the other hand, your senior year is extra special. Think long and hard about giving that up.

x

3. green faerie

green faerie m L e

oh i definately have no desire to stay in school, especially not a whole year after this one. theres nothing special about school to me. but i finally got in touch with my guidance counselor and this is seeming a better and more attainable option by the second.

4. Valdis

Valdis Member

You can do this.

Some teachers however may not be helpful or supportive percieving this will threaten thier jobs in some way.

You might see if you qualify for a program from your school that lets you finish at home or for dual enrollment in college for both college and high school credit.

Remember all information is worth having.

First research your state laws and get your legal ducks in a row. Seek local support and advice.

Second research home schooling with an eye to what method(s) of education you want to employ.

Third pick out your curriculum materials keeping in mind your goals and that you are planning to home school yourself.

Good luck!

5. good2bhome

good2bhome Member

If it is a diploma you are looking for and cheap, I recommend Kolbe Academy. They are Catholic but you can use any materials you would like (doesn't have to be from them). You can enroll and get your diploma for less than $300 I believe, which is the cheapest I have found anywhere for homeschoolers. Google them and give them a call. They are all pretty cool in the office.

Definiately check out the dual enrollment at the local community college too.

6. Lady Midnight

Lady Midnight Member

I was homeschooled, I did the last 4 years through an extention collage (Via the post). It's damn hard. I'm not sure I'd do it again by myself like that. There's a lot to be said for having a teacher 'on tap'.

7. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

Get a copy of the Teenage Liberation Handbook.

Kathi

8. Lady of the Freaks

Lady of the Freaks Senior Member

just take the GED and go right on to community college. get an associate's degree instead of wasting your time with faux high school degrees.

9. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I live in SC and am HS my 9 yo. You first need to get legal. Go to www.schoolsoutsupport.com. It's a very unschool-friendly homeschool accountability association. You need to be a member of an association if you don't want to go through the school district. Kelly (the director) will help you out with all your questions about diplomas and whatnot-my girl is still too young for me to worry about that.