Korea Sucks!

Discussion in 'Asia' started by heywood floyd, Sep 10, 2007.

1. XThavasaX

XThavasaX Banned

you are criminal. i will find your IP address and call police

Eric! likes this.
  2. Astrolog

Astrolog Member

I have great respect to Koreans from one very important reason:
    They are only nation which developed effective method of cultivation on the large scale mushroom called: Sparassis Crispa or Caltiflower mushroom or as they say: Blossom Mushroom.
    This is my best mushroom. I just love to eat it!!!
    And (please don't tell anyone) I'll be the men who will create first farm in Europe (as soon as I'll earn money to initialize my company he he - 100 years)

But what's more - I'm the man who have the biggest theoretical knowledge about it - I spend 1000 of hours gathering materials... I even contacted with Korean mycologists.

So I have a method. Now I need money to start :)

3. Astrolog

Astrolog Member

Blah! What a unnice topic I went in!

4. YueCivilize

YueCivilize Guest

Can the Korean speak english ?
    You korean are dummie :cheers2:
    You are a pathetic country in whole asia ,let me told the korea history ,
    Once upon a time there a barbarian tribe in the Far East, they are so dumb that they wearing a hat it so little that put on the top of your head :D
    So fucking pathetic rule by two civilization japanese and chinese . :rolleyes:
    God !!! Korea a true loser :cheers2:

5. stalk

stalk Banned

jeez...what's with the racism?

I've known some amazing korean people, they have taught me much.

6. SearingEdge

SearingEdge Guest

you admited its true and that is americans fault.
    that is very nice attitude and that's all true
    I think it's natural consequence of American's deeds
    americans are always crime, and negative things in south korea.
    and they insult Korea to their friends or online like that.
    how funny about that?
    they dont know what they did it in Korea?
    they need to know about that before they insult korea
    Americans are just nuisance for all Koreans.

This is what koreans do in other countries , not to mention their common vulgarity , which is "SHEEBA" which encourages local toddlers and kids to be vulgar , so i don't think you are in any position to discriminate?

7. SearingEdge

SearingEdge Guest

Typical dumb korean gesture

8. xLEFTOVERCRACKx

xLEFTOVERCRACKx Member

You know I'm actually glad that XThavasaX posted on this thread. It really shows you what Korean people are really like. I live in Thailand and a lot of us here hate Koreans. You know why? Well its actually because they are stuck up and unwilling to accept other people's opinions as they regard their opinions to be of the highest. Hell, Korean tourists come here and are generally disrespectful to people all around them.

Actually Korea is more racist than the Japanese. The Japanese actually have a logical mindset in which they know who is alright and who isnt. They are even racist towards other asian cultures. Very fucking intolerant people. They see other cultures who are ahead of them as criminal, which is mainly due to their jealous desires. Koreans are generally extremely shallow to the point where they judge you solely on your looks.

Oh and with a shitload of Koreans chainsmoking and being plain alcoholics.... haha go figure. Also his mentality really shows the mentality of most Koreans... which is the main reason North Korea and South Korea are seperated and havent reconciled.

------
    oh and just so you know, my opinions are are expressed on Koreans who were born and raised in Korea. I have a lot of Korean friends who lived here for the majority of their life and even they have a shitload of stuff to say about mainland Koreans.

9. Temptation Sonata

Temptation Sonata Member

To start, I'm going to state this. I am a 17 year old korean who lived in US for 8 years.
    I've had many experiences and is only sharing my opinion
    A majority of the Koreans are superficial, frequently you are either liked or disliked on the basis of your physical features. We are also very materialistic, and caring about what other people think. Our lives basically revolve around what society belives in. Some examples of shallowness is shown by the extremely high number of plastic surgeries that take place in South Korea. The ingredients that make a korean is pride, ignorance, shallowness, parochialism, and intelligence.
    Of course, the anti-american rallies can't be left out of this "opinionated" statement. Countless Koreans are still rallying about the accidental killings of 2 korean school girls by an american driven vehicle. Irony is present in our hypocrisy when we warn against anti-korean treatment because of the Virginia Tech incident where 32 americans were killed by a korean immigrant/student. Is there any necessity to add in any other detail?

Now to the "korean side"
    Americans indeed helped south korea during the Korean wars, but our women were raped, regardless of marital status or age. Americans disrespect our culture. (Not that i wouldn't disrespect my own culture. Hypocrisy is the genuine key to my disrespect, and of course the superficial beliefs). Thats all i can come up with.
    ANYWAY. so. I am challenging anyone to come up with ANY reason why koreans should hate americans. and of course i still want more reasons why americans should hate koreans. ROFL. (BTW did i mention i'm korean? o and uh... this is just a generalization, i'm not saying all americans this or all koreans are that. =])
    BRING THIS THREAD TO LIFE. lol. i need entertainment~~~
    O and uhh i just read the second page. jesus christ. WTH media is not distorted?? where the hell has this person been living.

10. neo-holocauster

neo-holocauster Guest

I think It's because you're in the wrong place.
    Don't estimate them by their appearance.
    If you sent a time around seoul and place like NightClub or something,It's sure
    that you had bad impressions about us, but typically, we are very kind people.
    Some assxxxxx have racism but I think some of your assxxxxx have racism,too.
    If you met a english speaker or rural people, you can't feel that again.

Korea is safe,nice place to live.
    weapons like guns are completely ruled illegal to normal citizens
    so there's no shots.
    And don't complain about our infra. like japan, you can go everywhere in korea
    with mass-transportations.

I'm really sorry about some dummies in/out of korea make our image to shit.
    please don't have bad feelings for all of us.

11. heywood floyd

heywood floyd Banned

So I guess the conclusions we can draw from this is that it's wrong to generalize. Just to make this clear-- I don't have anything against individual people... and that includes individual Koreans. It's just when they're all together that they tend to suck. So please don't think I'm complaining about you personally... I have nothing against either of you. And anyway, it's not like western society is perfect either... it just seems that way when you haven't been living in it.

Like I said, I was just frustrated when I wrote this and I wish someone would delete the whole thread. Actually, for a while I thought it was deleted... and then it came back.

Anyway, here are some pluses and minuses:

+young people are not so intimidating, don't hang out in big groups and make fun of random people, and tend to not to dress like cracked-out hookers

-a lot of old people are pushy, nasty and rude

+some Koreans actually seem to care about where I'm from, and even if they don't understand me and never will, they will often still listen to me go on about it because they're curious. In the west, nobody really gives a shit.

-some Koreans seem to think they know more about who I am and what I like than I do.

+great, cheap public transportation. To go the same distance in my home country would cost about four times as much... probably more.

-it seems a lot of people don't care to take advantage of it and drive their big polluting cars everywhere.

+ the mountains are easy to hike, and have some pretty good trails.

- the mountains trap all the smog.

+ the custom of giving other people presents.

- I don't get as many presents as the 'more good-looking' people I work with, even though I work much harder. I'm not exactly bad looking, but I've long since come to the realization that I do not have supermodel potential (at least in Korea) and will have to succeed on my charm. This point also extends to the guy who was treated like royalty and making four hundred dollars more than I was because he was sooooo good looking. Also, this guy did not have a degree, and yes, I do, plus five years teaching experience-- just in case you're wondering what the education system's priorities are.

There's more, but I'm tired... and starting to get worked up. Anyways, Korean posters-- thanks for the understanding. Just so you know, I'm not a complete ass and I am quite capable of realizing that you guys are alright... mostly, it's the ones caught up in 'uri nara' and the staunch nationalists/Korean supremacists that do my head in.

12. jeff_lee

jeff_lee Guest

I'm Korean-American and have lived in America since I was 11. I agree with you on a lot of things. I definitely know Koreans can be racist and very close-minded, and I'm basically posting on this because the guy on 2nd and 3rd pages is very embarrassing to me, I don't want people to think every Korean is like that. I would like to apologize for his closed mind and say again not everyone in korea is like him.

13. heywood floyd

heywood floyd Banned

^^You don't need to apologize. I must admit, I made a mistake at the beginning of this thread because I was frustrated... but I've since apologized for it.

To tell the truth, I think a lot of the frustration comes from being a foreigner in such a homogeneous country, and the fact that there will never be any question of whether or not I am a foreigner. I will always be a foreigner because of the color of my skin-- and in many cases, will always be treated as such.

One of the more fucked up things about this place is that it's often the educated, affluent people who are racist, and the less educated, less well-off people who are warmer and all-around more pleasant-- I'm thinking the difference is humility. It's actually kind of odd, but some of the best people I've met here have been farmers, or shopkeepers, or people who tend not to make things overly political and trust their experiences more than the rumors and propaganda. Those people are gold-- they're often generous, cheerful, and have great senses of humor-- and they're not so much stupid or backwards as held back by their family's reputation. Some of them might seem a little rough at first, but ultimately they're the best!

The ones I take issue with are the ones who have status, wealth, and often a misguided air of superiority. The problem is that they're so used to being treated like gold, pushed, and getting whatever that they're incapable of being any other way. There are a lot of misconceptions that the locals have about people from the west, and it's almost impossible to convince them that things are actually quite different. A lot of this comes from their school textbooks, and the fact that most of the information available to them in their own language is heavily biased and often just flat-out wrong... but they refuse to accept any outside perspectives and if you try to argue with them, they get upset or start being afraid of you.

There are a lot of reasons why their relationship with the west is rocky-- but making a bunch of kids straight from university bear the brunt of their hatred is childish and misguided-- but it's all they have, because lashing out at GI's is forbidden-- and for the longest time, they were expected to treat all Americans like kings. Now that they don't have to, the bitterness is setting in.

But it's unreasonable for these people to expect that the best and brightest teachers from the west would want to leave their whole lives behind in order to be a second-class citizen in a country that doesn't even seem to want them here-- however you get the impression that this is what they expect, and anything less than that (such as a well-meaning but totally naive guy with a BA who has a gap year coming up and hasn't a clue about teaching--but assumes they wouldn't be offering him the job if he couldn't do it) is a huge disappointment.

But still, they take this guy, drop him in a school with no training, and say 'teach'... and he either gets better with practice, or gives up and goes home. They do this because they don't want to spend any money or time on training the guy, because he's ultimately just here for the experience and will go back home after his year is up. The result is a lot of frustration on both sides-- the guy finds that his Korean experience isn't the vacation he thought it would be, and the hagwon owners/school gets upset because they thought they could get something amazing out of someone they refused to invest any time, money, or effort in.

And yes, sometimes Westerners think Korea is like their home country and they want to smoke weed and do Ex here, which is just stupid... but that's a minority, really. Most of the ESLers here are kids who haven't decided what they want to do with themselves yet, or who want an experience... but they're definitely not criminals, or losers, or anything. Besides, there are heaps of kids the same age in Korea who don't do ANYTHING after uni and just live at home and let their parents take care of them... but you don't see Koreans getting angry about that.

14. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

15. jrs1040

jrs1040 Guest

I understand how you feel, bro. I've been in Korea for three years and it's been hell at times. Acceptance and realizing they will most likely never understand our Western mindset is helpful, and if they do understand our mindset, they are probably a brown-nosing slut. Again, generalizations, but not far from the truth.

16. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

I don't know about all of this. I spent 7 years in the ROK and I loved it. Never bought a hooker, never disrespected anyone's culture, never got drunk and pissed or puked on someone's car, had a wonderful time.

Of course it helps when you're fluent in Hangukmal. It tends to disarm.

17. undercooked

undercooked Member

I've been living near Seoul for about nine months now. I really like Korea but I also agree with most of what the OP says. I couldn't imagine living here for more than a few years. There are some days when I just have to shut myself in because I don't feel like being pointed at by children or jeered at by ajosshis on the subway. I've learned a fair amount of Korean, but sometimes it's frustrating because I occasionally understand the rude shit that people say about me right in front of me. I'm usually not confident enough to stick up for myself in Korean, but I've developed a nasty glare that can shut people up. Fortunately, I like my job here a lot more than any of the ones I had at home, and I'm not stuck living in some backwater town. Most of the friends I've made here have more in common with me than the ones I had at home, but it always seems like the people I meet are leaving. Even the Koreans I've made friends with have tended to leave the country, so it's been a mixed bag,

18. tucker01

tucker01 Guest

Listen jackass, clearly you need to have a one on one with an english teacher yourself. And not all americans are criminals. I currently live in Seoul and have no problems with Koreans, except you now. If you are going to go onto an American forum and bitch, atleast do it correctly, and if you cant either shut your god damn mouth or see and ENGLISH teacher first.

19. Major_Rager

Major_Rager Guest

After a heated argument, I was researching racism BY Koreans and came across this forum. thought Id share my view...

Last summer I went to Japan, and it was the most amazing experience I have ever had. The people there was nice, the transportation system was brilliant, and everywhere I went, random Japanese would just confront me and want to talk, either about my tattoos, or where I'm from, or what i'm doing there, etc. I went to at least 5 punk/hardcore shows and at everyone I met someone new, who would always confront me first, even when they spoke little to no english.

That being said, I am totally impressed with Japan and would love to go again.

Now, I am at home, in Canada, living with my Korean gf. She is by far the most racist person i have ever met. Her racial hatred is 100% towards other Asian peoples, particularly Japanese and Chinese, most of the hatred stemming from war history.

Though I understand her negative feelings towards Japan because of the atrocities brought on by their gov'ts and military forces, but it's gotten to the point where I almost despise her for it. It's not the Japanese gov't of the time she just hates... it's the entire people, past and present. I can no longer watch a Japanese movie at home without her making some off kilter comment about how awful Japanese people are and all the awful things they did to Koreans 40 some years ago.

To give you an example, i watched a documentary today called KIDNAPPED! and it was about how, in the 1970's, North koreans spies had kidnapped a number of Japanese youngsters (most of them students) and brought them into NK to be brainwashed and worked to teach other Korean spies the Japanese language in order to infiltrate the country and perform terrorist acts (like many of the plane bombings of the mid 70's they performed). To this day, more than half of the kidnappees are either still missing, or dead (allegedly). It was truly a sad sad documentary and I couldnt help but cry.

Instead of consoling me, or having an intelligent conversation about this, my korean gf DEFENDED North koreas actions, saying that the Japanese brought these kinds of terrorist activities upon themselves. Forget that these people who were kidnapped were just mere students, and their parents were either poor, or were simple blue collar workers and housewives.... they brought terrorism upon themselves because of what their parents' parents may or may not have done during WWII.

And it's not just her... The hatred towards Japanese and Chinese seems to be evident in her mother as well, who always has something mean to say about the Chinese and Vietnamese people that work at her local corner shops and grocery stores... Making comments about their smells, or making bad impressions of their accents... At first I thought it was just my gfs family, but upon research, it's a very negative reputation of Korea to be steadfastly hateful towards all other Asians.

Whenever I speak out against her racist and narrow minded thinking, she automatically says I'm a Japanese sympathiser, and therefore I must hate Koreans too, and I condone raping Korean women, etc etc etc.... I really have no idea how else I can put it to her to make her understand that this way of thinking (especially from someone who is only 23 and spent most of her life living in new zealand and canada) is wrong and hurtful. I really just give up.

Now imagine if the Jews still hated all germans, and all blacks hated all whites, all natives hated all europeans.... what a fucked up world we would live in huh?

20. Major_Rager

Major_Rager Guest

Its like that Dave Chappele bit when he talks about how he thought the Asian guy who ran the store down his block was Chinese. The man got really mad and yelled at him "I am NOT Chinese! I AM KOREAN!! DO I look Chinese?!!!!"

Youd never see a Canadian shit his pants if someone thought he was American!