Korea Sucks!

Discussion in 'Asia' started by heywood floyd, Sep 10, 2007.

1. heywood floyd

heywood floyd Banned

Worst country I have ever been to hands down.

Favorite pasttimes include lying, taking pictures of themselves with their cell phones and looking in the mirror. They lie and lie and lie, if there's a group of foreigners they'll openly discuss which one of you is the best looking. They're racist, miserable and fucked up.

Of course, these are generalizations, but mostly, it's all true.

2. recklessrick

recklessrick Member

Are you in the military?

3. AcidConspiracy

AcidConspiracy Member

I was in the military and ended up in korea for a few months. They're about half as racist as the japanese, and use about half as many cell phones. I had a good time, but then again I was hangin out with ugly dudes. *joking joking* The worst part about korea is you need a car to really have a good time. and they drive like shit. thats not racist comment, i swear.

4. heywood floyd

heywood floyd Banned

Actually, I teach ESL...

I suppose not having a solid social network is what gets me down the most... and sometimes I say horrible things about the place and regret it later. I don't know if it's culture shock or what...

I agree that the driving is pretty awful though-- I suppose it has something to do with the Confucian mindset where you're not really real to someone until you've introduced yourself and they feel like they know you a bit, so they just drive like they're the only ones on the road.

It also means that there's not a lot of consideration between strangers in day-to-day living... and sometimes it's little things like not holding doors open or staring at you like you can't see them doing it, or not saying excuse me or sorry when they bump into you. And they always put Koreans before foreigners (again, unless they know you well), and refuse to sit beside a foreigner on the bus, unless they're really old or really young and their parents tell them to do it (mostly because the parents don't want to).

But at the same time, there are a lot of people here who regularly impress me with their generosity and thoughtfulness... and as long as you don't step on too many toes or come out with some really ignorant comment about how they're not doing something the way it should be done, you can do okay, I think.

Also, they respect me a bit more after they realize that I can read their alphabet... and especially when they recognize me from TV!

5. recklessrick

recklessrick Member

The men are racist, flat out, but not so with the Birds. They seem to be curious about strangers as well as receptive.

6. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

My son is in Teagu, South Korea right now. He ain't to thrilled with Korea either.

7. AFierceInvalid

AFierceInvalid Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I lived in the Republic of Korea for approximately 13 months. The expat community in Seoul and Pusan are awesome. I found that you never needed a car to get anywhere because of how well their public transportation system worked. I was in the military at the time but never stayed on base nor associated with my fellow military. I never revealed much of why I was there and it was always assumed I was teaching. I told everyone what I was doing when I left and they were quite shocked.

They told us before we went and when we got there that it is all what you make of it. You will either have a good time or a bad time. I had a great time. The people were amazingly friendly wherever I went. I truly think it's all how you choose to conduct yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I know that they are overly concerned with their looks, pride, etc. I found their culture to be much more tame in that area than America's. Watching the typical American treat a Korean like s*** was commonplace.

8. XThavasaX

XThavasaX Banned

American English teacher in South Korea, and American soldiers in South Korea.
    then they talk about South Korea
    you think that is normal[​IMG]
    how they can say or insulting about korea? lol[​IMG]
    they just parasitic in Korea
    fucking watchdogs and dirty criminals
    americans think koreans rlly care about that fuckin shit things[​IMG]
    we dont care what is americans thinking
    we just care about their crime and offense in south korea
    we are always watching them
    u know what i thinking about Americans?
    Steve O is fuckin typical american
    no manners, always showing penis to everywhere , criminal, offender,
    always peeing at everywhere lol
    before u insult or talk about South Korea, you need look at yourself
    you are American in South Korea
    u dont know that is worst[​IMG]
    Koreans just think they are criminals.
    and I joined so many anti-America clubs in south korea
    u dont know what koreans doing it now and everydays
    if you wanna keep stay parasitic in here u need to just shut up
    and if Americans wanna teach english in Sourh korea,
    first of all get a education license fucking criminals

9. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Maybe one of these Americans can explain just what the fuck we're doing in Korea today? Why do we need any bases there. Let the Korean ppl sort things out for themselves. Iraqis and Afghanis too.

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Unfortunately this is a dose of what us Americans need to hear. I don't think people here realize just how much the rest of the world hates us.... and that largely because of how our country tries to throw its weight around. Then people emigrate and have the audacity to BITCH about another country and the fact that its citizens aren't welcoming Americans with open arms.

With what my country is doing, I'm fucking embarrassed to call myself an American and believe that the United States owes much of the rest of the world the mother of all apologies for what we have done over the past few decades.

11. XThavasaX

XThavasaX Banned

one of these Americans today:rapes Korean girls, molest his/her students in school, pickpocket Korean's stuff, yelled to Korean peoples, noisey in subway, attacked Koreans

12. XThavasaX

XThavasaX Banned

you admited its true and that is americans fault.
    that is very nice attitude and that's all true
    I think it's natural consequence of American's deeds
    americans are always crime, and negative things in south korea.
    and they insult Korea to their friends or online like that.
    how funny about that?
    they dont know what they did it in Korea?
    they need to know about that before they insult korea
    Americans are just nuisance for all Koreans.

13. XThavasaX

XThavasaX Banned

and especially when they recognize me from TV!<----on what TV show did you come out?

14. heywood floyd

heywood floyd Banned

Okay... I'm really not big on the American military... and who knows, maybe their being here is a big stumbling block in the reunification process... but on the other hand, maybe their presence is a big reason why the South isn't currently worshipping Kim Jong Il and thinking that all outsiders should be slaves to Koreans. Saying that all of Korea's problems is due to the Americans is ridiculous. Korea has a lot of problems, and they were here before the Americans, and even before the Japanese.

But I have nothing to do with them.

I'm definitely not a criminal. I've never been arrested, never been to a prostitute, never stolen, never killed, never done anything, and I really don't like hurting people. I don't drink to ridiculous excess, I don't sleep around, I don't spit, I don't piss on the street, I don't attack people or think lowly of them for being of a certain race (even if I don't agree with what they say or do), I don't lie to get what I want, and I pick up my trash... and to tell the truth I don't think many Koreans that I know can say the same.

You are assuming that all ESL teachers are like the stereotypes that the Korean media puts forward, which are, surprise surprise, overwhelmingly negative. Some of us really try hard to do a good job and the kids can see that and they respond to it. It's important because honestly, your younger generations really can't afford to be as ignorant and closed-off as you are.

15. XThavasaX

XThavasaX Banned

I'm definitely not a criminal. I've never been arrested, never been to a prostitute, never stolen, never killed, never done anything, and I really don't like hurting people. I don't drink to ridiculous excess, I don't sleep around, I don't spit, I don't piss on the street, I don't attack people or think lowly of them for being of a certain race (even if I don't agree with what they say or do), I don't lie to get what I want, and I pick up my trash... and to tell the truth I don't think many Koreans that I know can say the same.
    <- can you prove all about it ?
    I can't believe you are not criminal.
    because 72% American english teachers are have not education license.
    i just wanna know "you are not criminal"
    can we meet or phone?

You are assuming that all ESL teachers are like the stereotypes that the Korean media puts forward
    <-im 20 years old
    and i was middle school, and high school my english teacher was American
    and he was not a "good" person and teacher.
    and its all because of Korean media?
    I found this forum because some American told me "they hate Korea"
    and you said "Korea sucks" and you are American english teacher
    Do you think that it matches well?
    American english teachers have already done many things in South Korea.
    When we looked at them at the way or the public place, it was made to make what kind of preparations.
    this is not just "stereotypes that the Korean media puts forward which are, surprise surprise, overwhelmingly negative. "
    i hope more Korean media show about them.
    because we need to save our country
    from criminals
    Koreans don't like Americans -> thats not because of media
    it is natural consequence of American's deeds

my point is i dont think you are not a criminal.
    and you need to know that "Americans are don't welcome in Korea"
    you work in here.
    If you want to earn much more money
    just shut up
    and thanks for this country
    if you back to America. you are just an unemployed person
    you never think about that?
    and if you are criminal. you never stay in here.
    forever
    probably, you would be banished early here.

16. heywood floyd

heywood floyd Banned

I don't think there's much point in arguing with you, because you don't seem rational enough for there to be any point to it.

But I will tell you that it's not illegal to teach in Korea without a certificate in teaching. You need a BA only. That's not my rule, that's common among the hagwon owners and public schools. If you don't believe me, look at the websites where they are looking to hire ESL teachers, and you will see that most hagwons only require a BA. Most foreigners here have BAs.

If the law is any different, then I didn't know, and I was lied to about what I needed to work here, and so was everyone else. So it's not our fault.

Other than that, there's nothing.

17. kittyctc

kittyctc Member

i totally understand what you've experienced in korea or in other asian countries like hong kong or china - rude, cold impolite and down right weird. I really understand, but I also hope that you will understand that what you've experienced are matters of cultural differences - different groups of people have different habits, attitudes, beliefs and whatnot. Sometimes it can be frustrating - but I also think it's important to bear that in mind if one decides to go to another country and not to be expected people living in that countries are same as your own folks back home.

18. XThavasaX

XThavasaX Banned

you don't know what you need for teach in here lol
    you know what? that's why i'm here
    i never tell you what you need teach in here
    you probably are criminals

19. XThavasaX

XThavasaX Banned

you know what?
    look at "heywood floyd"
    he dont know what he need for teach in here
    and American teachers just like him in Korea
    always do crime in here
    its really nuisance.
    but they insult Korea like that?

Korea sucks because

Worst country I have ever been to hands down.

Favorite pasttimes include lying, taking pictures of themselves with their cell phones and looking in the mirror. They lie and lie and lie, if there's a group of foreigners they'll openly discuss which one of you is the best looking. They're racist, miserable and fucked up.

Of course, these are generalizations, but mostly, it's all true.

you think that is adequacy?
    he is just racist and he just wanna insult about Korea
    and i showed about "American english teachers' crime in Korea"
    and he said "Korean media is just racist"
    He said that even Americans' crime was the result of South Korean media.
    He is American just like American criminals in Korea.
    but he thinks he can insult about Korea?
    It is very impolite to South Koreans.
    and he don't feel sorry for Korean about Americans' crime in South Korea
    Surely he has to express the opinion of him to it.
    Because, they did already many crimes in South Korea.
    they made koreans think of them to criminals.
    if he wanna say "korean media is racist" again
    he is wrong
    media is true and they did not distortion anything
    i showed so many proofs about that and
    it is natural consequence of American's deeds
    By the way, that peoples insult about Korea on the internet forum like that.
    it doesn't make any sense
    if he really dont like Korea
    just leave Korea i bet he can't
    because he need money and Korea give money to them
    how funny?
    it's just like parasite
    he need know that he stay in here because of earn money.
    he is not traveler or American Korean

20. heywood floyd

heywood floyd Banned

I'm done talking about this.... and to tell the truth, I really wish someone would delete this whole thread.