Does pre-school curriculum make you want to scream?

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by wendyladi98, Aug 27, 2007.

1. wendyladi98

wendyladi98 Member

Hello, I am new here at hip forums. I am raising my niece with the help of my parents. She just turned 4 last week. She had some issues at birth and is a bit behind what I would say a "normal" 4 year old would be at. (mother took tylenol 3 throughout the pregnancy and she was born with withdrawls) Even so, I have to say some of the curriculum I have found on line for 3 years old even has me so crazed right now...Rebekah can say her ABC's and recognizes all the capital letters, she can even count to 20... but I would say reading is a ways down the road...I just feel like everything out there is too academic for her and where she is right now. With that said, I could use some advice. I have read loads of information of the early learning vs waiting topic. I have read all about burnout and how these years should be cherished etc. I am the last person who wants to push her to do something she isn't ready for yet. I did buy what I thought was a reasonable Pre-K workbook but all she can do right now is scribble and won't follow the directions at all. So here is my thought...I am willing to put that away completely and start from scratch...I am not as concerned that she can't do this or that...it will all come in time. My main concern is not wasting this year and using it to do worthwhile activities that are on her level that she can benefit from. Starting Kindergarten at age 6 is not the most horrible thing to have happen, and she could really improve way before then...I could use all the advice in the world. she enjoys art although all she does is "abstract" right now...does watercolors, markers, and crayons. We read to her often and she enjoys building with blocks and can count things when she is in the mood to. Her language skills are what I would say are the most behind...she rarely says more than one or two words at a time...not that she isn't very talkative...she just has her own language that I can't identify. I wanted to use this year to get ready for Kindergarten but the more I read out there Kindergarten sounds like my 1st or second grade class and I feel hopelessly behind...help!!!
    hope this makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Wendy

2. Valdis

Valdis Member

At her age, I wouldn't push her too much. A child pushed before they are truly read can do more damage than good. These days so many parents, the government and others are all about pushing.

That being said, you might want to try something like Five in a Row.

http://www.fiarhq.com/

You get the book from the library, read it to the child everyday and follow the lesson plan, it's math one day, social studies the next and so on. If I were to design a pre school curriculum myself, I might do it something like this.

Another thing to do is just to follow the child's interest. Does she like the zoo? Would she enjoy making a garden? Do things together that you both are into.

Someone on another board said this was a good site for that age:

www.letteroftheweek.com

and

mothergoosetime.com

Use what works for YOU first and then find out through trial and error what works for her. Above all don't forget to enjoy the possibilities of home schooling such as watching the clouds together and smelling the flowers.

3. Kittymoose*

Kittymoose* Member

What about something like Unschooling? From what I gather it isn't too "academic". Follow what SHE wants to learn. Take it to the next level. Say she's really interested in...oh...dinosaurs. That's a perfect natural history lesson. Take her to the museum, get books from the library about dinosaurs. That way she's learning what she wants to learn about, and she's also getting useful information. Think about what each little topic can be related to (cooking is math and science, etc.). Relate everything to learning.

Of course, don't push her to do something she isn't ready for. Oh, and I've heard that to help a young child get ready for reading is to simply read to them. Pointing to the words as you say them helps. (I learned how to read in this way).

4. fricknfrack

fricknfrack Member

hello

i'm sorry to hear about your situation althugh there are so many varieties of learning besides the public school system.

I'm a respite provider for 2 children that have multiple challenges. The little girl i work for is 6 going on 7 and is at the age of 3 lvl.

Now for her Grade lvl - we're just starting her off with 20 pg books and with however many pages she'll sit for and we'll point to the words and say them and have her say them back to us. What ever words are not said properly we'll work with th sh ph (f) m n stuff like that

math on the other hand can also be benefitted by colouring - aka scribbling. "Can you tell me how many dogs or puppies are in this picture? write 3 in the picture and hand over hand write 3 and she'll get the hang of it IN TIME.
    Physical activity leaves sticks educating children outside the vacinity is so much more valuble because it allows the children to explore. ex. the Truck on the road has 4 wheels but the motorcycle only has 2 4-2 =
    A cute lil poem song i learnt in jk/sk when i was teachers assistant was
    Stop look and listen
    before you cross the street use your eyes use your ears and then you use your feet. Little by Little your niece will learn even if she is behind- IT will catch it and she will be fine. Extra time . See if there is a respite provider , enhance support system Educational assistant that will help her while shes in school. The earlier the better. You don't want her in Grade 12 doing grade 9 work. if you know what i mean . and if theres a way to get help with her speech. i know some ppl don't believe in speach therapists or therapy period , but i was blessed to even be able to walk talk and pick up things and now i work with children with handicaps as well as attend college for social work.

ANY thing is posible.
    if you ever need to chat i'm here
    Teri

5. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

At this point, I'd be most concerned about her inability to form coherent words. I've worked in respite care with children as well, and by age 4, they should really be able to pronounce much more than one or two words. I wouldn't worry at all about reading yet, because the ability to speak must come before the ability to read. I would strongly reccomend speech therapy, one-on-one. You could find a therapist to come to your house, and the two of you could work together, so you'd know it if you don't like their form of therapy for whatever reason. Speech Delay was one of the most common disabilities with the kids I worked with; it doesn't mean there's anything "wrong" with her. But if you want your year to be as productive as possible, I'd say speaking should be your top priority for now.

6. good2bhome

good2bhome Member

Everybody has great advice. I would add games. Lots and lots of games. Look at amazon or toys r us. There is a game for everything. I have two that learned the phonics way to read with me and two that taught themselves. One of mine learned from Between the Lions. OOhh, Richard Scarry books and vids are good for this too.

7. pixeewinged

pixeewinged Visitor

8. dena

dena Member

I have to say the you couldn't be more on the money here. I've homeschooled all my kids and my lil Adam is having trouble reading. I put him in school and the class just kept going right over him. It really bruised him. He's back home now but this is something that can't be forced. I preached that very thing for years. Now that I have a child who actually needs a slower pace, I'm glad I can give it to him.
    D