Why won't my dog drink water?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Bella Désordre, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

We got gracie 3 days ago from the shelter. She is 5 years old and in great health. She eats an appropriatte amount and is not having any stomache problems.
    her urine is very concentrated and I am not understanding why she won't dr4ink more water! She prob drinks lik 4 ounces a day.
    I don't know if this nakes a difference but she is eating whole food dog food and I am mostly feeding her canned food right now because her ribs are a little jaring. So I don't know if the canned food's moisture makes her less thirsty?

2. bunjies

bunjies Member

there is certainly more water in canned than in dry, so she may be getting enough from there along with the little she does drink.
    one of my dogs refuses to drink tap water, so i have a container of rainwater, planted with pond plants to keep the water sweet for him by the front door.
    as you have only had her 3 days, she may simply have not settled in enough to act 'normally' yet. by this i mean, does she play much? can you let her off the leash yet?
    if not she probably just isnt as thirsty as she would be if she was bombing round like a nutter all day ;)
    however if it keeps up, or you are worried, or she is dehydrated (pinch the skin on the scruff into a tent shape, then release, if hydrated it will spring back, if dehydrated it will take some time to return) then i would get her checked out at the vets in case she picked up something from the shelter.

3. deadthreads

deadthreads Member

On average a dog should drink about a cup of water per 10 pounds of body weight a day (more in drier/hotter areas of the country). If she continues to only drink small amounts you should consider taking her to the vet to have a urinalysis, CBC and possibly a chemistry run to check organ function. Since she is new to you and you don't know her past history its hard to determine what is 'normal' for her. The fact that you got her from the shelter concerns me that it may be the reason that she was there, we see many animals at my clinic that people adopt that were discarded by their previous owners because they could not afford the proper medication or treatments. Its very sad and I doubt that is the case with your dog, just something to think about.

If you do make an appointment with your vet do them a favor and try to get a urine sample before you go- it will be easier on your dog and the staff at the vet clinic ;)

Good luck

4. dready_kolo

dready_kolo Banned

My dog hardly drinks tap water, I think it might be the chemicals in it because she will drink rain water or filtered/bottled water.

5. Toby Stanley

Toby Stanley Member

I would give your Gracie a little more time to adjust to her new surroundings since shelters can be quite traumatic to many animals and the adverse after affects are not easy to predict. It is a good sign that her appetite is normal, yet switching from shelter food to the new food may be a factor in her water intake too. I would also try adding a very small amount of low or no salt chicken broth to her water for a couple of days and this may just convince her that water is good stuff...

Usually, dehydration in dogs leaves them very lethargic and sleepy, while "Bunjies" suggestion above for checking for dehydation is a perfect diagnostic. Of course, if her water intake remains low after 7-10 days, it might be wise to take her in and have them do a urine test and maybe even a blood panel test to make sure her kidneys and liver are working properly.

I know you and your family are blessed for saving a shelter dog and I am hoping for the best for your Gracie!

6. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

Thank you everyone (this is bella. I am too lazy to log in).
    I gave Gracie some bottled water and she still did not drink it. I am going to give her some time to adjust, like suggested. She doesn't have any other health problems. Her number twos are solid and she is not constipated, which I know is another sign of dehydration.
    She is playing more and more everyday. She didn't at all at first. Between us we walk her prob about 5 times a day and she goes for a ride in the car almost everyday so she is getting enough activity where she should be thirsty.
    I am going to go visit back in San Diego in a week while Andy's out of town and have a good vet down there (this is a small town and I wouldn't take Gracie to the vet here unless she was sick). I think I'll take her for a visit and see what they suggest.
    Thank you for all of your suggestions :)

7. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

Well...she is a binge drinker! I 'caught' her drinking water after our walk. She drinks a lot a few times a day. Andy tried to tell me this yesterday...but I thought he was just trying to make me feel better.

8. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Hey glad to hear she's drinking! Really good advice was given already, but to reinforce that--it's very common for shelter dogs to 'hold back' a bit when first introduced to a new home. We didn't even think Maya was capable of barking until several weeks after we brought her home from the shelter.

9. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

My philbert doesn't drink much. He usually doesn't drink more than one dish a day. I always think he needs more water, but after all these years, I guess he just knows how much he needs.
    He was a shelter dog, too, and he still has some odd quirks. But, we love him anyway.

10. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

I just wanted to give an update and say that Gracie is still drinking and she's drinking and eating more and more everyday! She's even eating dry food now along with her canned food. She still does not like any dog treats, but loves cheese.

11. dready_kolo

dready_kolo Banned

Aw glad to hear that!

12. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Glad she's adjusted. How about a picture of her.