Wild Pennsylvania Shrooms?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms' started by templeton, Aug 16, 2007.

1. templeton

templeton Member

I'm going to be making a 3 day trip up to Pennsylvania soon...

the place im visiting is completely rural, farms everywhere and cow pastures galore.

what do you think my chances are of finding some nice shrooms? I remember seeing mycelium growth on cow shit at a younger age up there so i am kind of optimistic.

any suggestions/input/experience? if anyone from pennsylvania has anything to say, I would really appreciate it. also, if there are strains that are most commonly found in Pennsylvania, let me know

i still want to be careful though. are there any mushroom identification books anyone would recommend i buy from a bookstore like Barnes and Nobles or Waldenbooks?

2. /jumanji

/jumanji Member

Panaeolus subbalteatus
    Psilocybe caerulipes
    Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata
    Gymnopilus junonius
    Gymnopilus aeruginosus

those are the types of mush that grow in pennsylvania

3. Captain Zeep

Captain Zeep Acoustic Hero

I wouldn't advise eating wild mushrooms. It's risky business, and if you screw up and eat the wrong kind it could kill you. If you want some shrooms you should just order a spore syringe and grow them yourself. It's easy and only costs about $20 to get started.

4. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

ahh yes laughin jims......

5. TravisBruner

TravisBruner Member

i live in Pennsylvainia and where i camp theres a cow pasture directly beside it so this past weekend we decided to see if they were grain fed...and they were and we walked threw about 7:00am and we found the first one in the direct sun all dried out and it was about the size of a 10 sent coin...then we found a bunch more much bigger ones...we dried them out and me and a freinds split the tiny one in half and ate it...10 minutes later we started to trip...they were the best shrooms i have ever had just i got sick yesterday from it...the way to tell is makes sure they are directly in the cow shit and they should be a tanish collor on the top of the cap and should be darker towards the middle...and remember DONT EAT IT UNLESS IT IS ONTOP OF COW SHIT...haha wouldent wanna die from a stupid little mushroom...one more thing, remember "Bright is not right."

6. thetrippyhippy

thetrippyhippy Member

Panaeolus subbalteatus arent very potent, there were some growing in my front yard, I ate 2g of them with barley noticeable effetcs

7. Tdubbs34

Tdubbs34 Member

i live in PA and i've heard of shrooms growing around here i've just been too scared to pick em and eat em, i dont wanna die.. any tips?

8. kevincoughlin

kevincoughlin Member

That's fuxed up, I thought they's be really potent like most Pans. You probs ate it's barely active twin.

Tdubbz34, use this guide:
    http://www.shroomery.org/9654/Subbe...unting-and-Identifying-Panaeolus-subbalteatus
    With this shroom even if you found it's one really similar look alike and ate it, you'd be fine. Maybe some discomfort from digesting the mushrooms tissue. Also it's a really common mushie.

As a precaution or whatever go to http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/3 and post pics and let the real pro hunters and mycologists to identify for you.

9. Tdubbs34

Tdubbs34 Member

thanks.. ill let yall know if i find anything haha

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

Gymnopilus luteoviridis..

PA mushroom...

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata is common in the Ohio river valley. Often found in the woody debris of overflow areas, along rivers and streams, rarely in man-made mulch. They are most common from April to mid June but they occasionally fruit as late as November.