Cavestock/Cavefest!!!!

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by limetree, Aug 9, 2007.

1. limetree

limetree Member

A few times a year, in Southern Illinois (Murphysboro) in Shawnee cave theres various forms of what is broadly called "cavefest" its fun times, lots of good hippie type bands, and a rave tent. Anyone familiar, ive been once, april 2007. for my birthday weekend. its like leaving earth. any good stories from it?

Anyways, the fall one is coming up, September 21, 2007.
    Cant wait!

2. saluki420

saluki420 Member

I've been to a couple cavestock/cavefest back when I was in college at SIUC. They were really good times with a good mix of people and bands. I'm not really a festival expert so I can't compare it to any other ones like Schwag, Bonaroo, or Wakarusa; but like I said it was a good time. My friends and I always thought the best spot to camp was imediately inside the gate take a right and go down that way. You can access the parking lot pretty easily and if you you like steep and dangerous trails there's one down to the cave (trust me, don't go down it when you are too intoxicated). Anyway, Santa and his friends (who I always thought were rainbow from Shawnee, but maybe I'm wrong) throw a pretty cool festival so enjoy!

3. dead2dacore

dead2dacore Member

i was at the 4/20 cavefest, it was pretty chill time.. although i thought the music sucked, the atmosphere was pretty cool. ill probably be out there for the fall fest

4. dead2dacore

dead2dacore Member

do u have a link for the fest's website? i couldnt find one

5. limetree

limetree Member

its hard to find a direct link, at catalyticsouls they usually have a page about the current event at the cave. heres the link there, click on events http://catalyticsouls.com/

otherwise, http://www.myspace.com/shawneecave but this coming cavefest doesnt seem to be on it. i know i saw it around somewhere ill find it and post it here.

haha i know what your talking about that one trail, its dangerous, ive gone up and down many times very messed up.

6. schwahead

schwahead Senior Member

so Theres actually a little festy in a cave??? what are the bands??? how far is this from ohio??? im interested!!! are their bats? I can dig some bats

7. dead2dacore

dead2dacore Member

its not really a cave (i thought it would be when i went).. its like a indention in a really huge rock... its still cool, buts its not a cave. the stage area looks tight at night with all the lights everywhere and reflecting off the rock. honestly, i wouldnt say itd be worth the drive from ohio. its a cool little festie, but its not the greatest. in my opinion, the bands arnt worth driving that far for. the whole scene is really chill, though.

limetree, do u have any way of confirming the dates, and what the price is, and who is gonna be there? cause ill go if i know these 3 things.

8. limetree

limetree Member

when it gets closer i can get the info, its usually 17 dollars if you get the preorder tickets, and 25 at the gate if you didnt preorder. thats just based on the past, ill find out for certain and put it on here or pm you

9. dead2dacore

dead2dacore Member

sounds like a plan

10. schwahead

schwahead Senior Member

ahhhh man I was excited about party down in a cave

11. limetree

limetree Member

haha nearby there is giant city state park, where i went on my downtime during the day. they have amazing paths, rock paths, and this thing called deadmans squeze. i almost fit all the way through. ill post some pics. its almost as good as a cave shwahead, haha. also i saw a lizard.

o i forgot there was this overhang of rock at giant city and underneath this bright green fuzzy plant carpet grew and it was like natural air conditioning under there it was so cool. ill post some pics

12. limetree

limetree Member

[​IMG]fire spinners ( i dont know what they are called haha)
    [​IMG]

Crazy face someone etched into the rock. there were names carved everywhere with dates way far back. also, my stick i found that looked like a snake
    [​IMG]

The natural air conditioning part, it was so cool
    [​IMG]

dead mans squeeze. eventually i got so far back in there you couldnt see me, and the walls were dripping wet. it was crazy
    [​IMG]

ill stop posting pics haha but if you want more, i have them!

so see, cavelike, no?

13. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Down by the Garden of the Gods, eh? I love it there. One of the most beautiful places on the Earth, that I've been at least... :) I can see how a fest near there would kick ass. Unfortunately it doesn't look like we'll be making it there, or Shawnee for the gathering this year... Can't justify the time off work for my hubby if we aren't 95% sure we'll make it up by selling our hippie artifacts... ;)

14. limetree

limetree Member

aww to bad, i love the hippie venders there, they are so understanding of me ogling through thier things just being happy out of my mind. what do you sell there?

15. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

We sell our art... we design and make patchwork/hippie clothing and accessories... jewelry... and I blow glass. :) Our website, where I sell year round, is hummblebee.com

16. limetree

limetree Member

17. dead2dacore

dead2dacore Member

whats the link for? its for apr 21-23 2006?

18. limetree

limetree Member

im working on it, cant seem to find anything. that was my attempt before i realized it was the wrong date haha

19. limetree

limetree Member

20. saluki420

saluki420 Member

I wonder why they moved the date back. Who knows, but I'm sure Santa had his reasons. that cavefest.com look like a pretty cool website. K+ for posting it! Thanks for keeping us informed too.