Commune with sexual focus

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by Aladdin, Jul 11, 2007.

1. go4thetop

go4thetop Guest

I've been reading the book Sex at Dawn and have been finding it to be a fascinating book.
    The concept of community, sexual freedom, equality, sharing, joy and family is not impossible but is probably extremely difficult to achieve in the "modern" world. I think we can sometimes simulate the type of small group interactive communities that create the sort of environment many of us (both women and men) yearn for but I'm not sure if we can sustain the environment for long, especially with all the outside pressures that you would be subjected to. Our society, both secular and religious, needs you to conform with the accepted norm and will bring incredible pressure to force people not to deviate from this.
    I think this is more and more the case as we move further and further into the 21st century. Rather than becoming more tolerant and open we are becoming more restrictive and intolerant in many ways. Many free and liberal ideas and behaviors are becoming limited or restrained for our "protection and safety".
    I would love to live this sort of open, communal life but don't think I am ready to go off into the jungle and live a foraging life style to attain it and can only dream about it being possible in the world I live in today.

2. AlchemistGeorge

AlchemistGeorge Living Communally since 1995

I think that there are many “sex positive” intentional communities (especially in northern California), however most of them keep a low profile for obvious reasons – getting along with neighbors and not being overwhelmed by a constant stream of unwanted visitors.

There have also been a lot of groups that have used sex as a recruiting tool. Some of the more notorious were the Children of God and the Manson Family.

3. mosaicmind

mosaicmind Member

To Sunshine3333

I've heard of the Sandstone Ranch and I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind me asking.
    How was birth control dealt with? Were condoms widely available and were they expected to be used all the time or did the ladies "eat birth control pills"?
    Also, How were STD's dealt with? Was there pretty extensive medical screenings of members? Would there be a sort of "sexual quarantine" for anyone that left the ranch for a time and came back?
    Lastly, do you know of any extant communes that are similar to how the Sandstone Ranch was? Your endorsement has piqued my interest.
    Thanks

4. sodabandito

sodabandito Member

Just sayin'...I saw a documentary on the "Family" today...and they were some sick folk!! Sex with kids...like I said, SICK FOLK!!

5. S&L

S&L Member

Maybe it is time to form a new sex-based commune.
    In Canada, since the people are less likely to object.
    I am willing to scout for location(s) and make the first steps to get infrastructure.
    Anyone interested?

6. BlissRainbow

BlissRainbow Member

Wait what?!~ What happened to those places in the 60's I heard all about on the History channel places where people came and went like the wind, where there was no ban on the nudity, open-sex, loving whoever you wanted, and expressing yourself even if it meant dancing naked in a tutu like a ballerina and then doing the mumba?~ A place where people helped out each other by bringing things or doing things or making things instead of using money?~

I think it's great establishing a society based upon common understanding and bring each other's efforts together to help a community run, but if you lost all the reasons you were doing it for what's the point?~

7. BlissRainbow

BlissRainbow Member

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.~
    Sexual abuse of children is harmful.
    Consenting sex is an entirely different matter.

8. AlchemistGeorge

AlchemistGeorge Living Communally since 1995

Most of them went broke really quickly,or broke up. Few of them lasted more than a year.

9. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

It's definitely not the 60s anymore. The world is a very different place. The communes today are just as much about making money as any other business. I was looking around at various places and the cost just visit one is unbelievable.

I don't think any place like that is going to be what you hope for. Not for men anyway. Usually only the inner circles have that kind of freedom and you would just be a low level entrant used more for physical labor than anything else.

10. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

I'm not making money(!!) pushing Twin Oaks, but I just found their website for BlissRainbow when the topic was work, money and organization, so it's in my mind. That commune has a 3-week visit plan available, which is obviously for potential members to get to know the group and vice versa, though I assume you could go there just to see and enjoy. Some day I might do it! The cost is pretty reasonable:
    "The fee for the three-week visit is on a sliding scale of $50-$250."

Twin Oaks doesn't say anything about sex. They skinny-dip in the creek, but I think they wear clothes all the rest of the time, and I suspect open sex would be very unwelcome. It might be that there are definite expectations concerning relationships between members, where you could be told what's acceptable and what isn't. Maybe in a communal environment personal business is community business, in a way that's different from the wide world.

11. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Sorry about that and I did not mean that the way it sounded at all. I have heard of twin oaks and they do have a good rep. I was just so surprised at how much some charge just for a visit. Obviously a visitor needs to pay something for what they consume. If they didn't not then people would just crash till asked to leave then do the same thing at the next one. Just the price some charge kind of blew me away. Maybe thats necessay these days to weed out certain people and only people who are very serious about becoming a member would pay exorbitant fees. Of course then again I might have been looking at the wrong kind of places.