variations of the peace sign?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by inbloom, Aug 17, 2004.

1. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

darklunacy, love yah dude, but there is NO way you're fathering lucy's children. i have so dibsed that position, already. ;) :)

2. Purple_Burnt_Squirre

Purple_Burnt_Squirre Member

ok swastika I can explain its meaning as it has been researched and put up on a display in the cathedral I will go there for you all write it down and put it up tomorrow as its been commonly asked about because of the church connection sorry I can't help with the peace sign but surely the mercedes benz one can't be the same meaning for peace I mean doesn't that seem a little strange support peace and mercedes benz for a better tomorrow?

3. NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387 ~peace~

it LOOKS like a mercedes logo, but it isn't. lol. PAY ATTENTION! lol.

4. NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387 ~peace~

that might make sense. think about it. part of what life means is not killing people. which in turn means peace. it's a vague farfetched explanation, but i like it!

5. TheOjaiSon

TheOjaiSon Member

i just wanna say PEACE

6. Purple_Burnt_Squirre

to who said I wasn't paying attention and I havn't to your name sorry but what I mean was the one without out the middle line going right down the 3 pointed star symbol mercedes oh I'm so confused forget it, anyway I went to the cathedral and wrote down what it said about the swastika, it is the Fylfot Cross and was a symbol used by early christians during the second and third centuries, it is thought that this is the only form of cross used by christians {I'm sure they mean early christians}. It is made both clockwise and anti clockwise. This symbol became notorious through its association with the Nazi Part in Germany in the first half of last century 1,700 years after it first appeared. so there ya go :)

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Member

There is some truth to your comment. Actually, Hitler took the symol from the Indian culture. The name of the swaztika is even based in their language but it is actually two words made into one word. Swazi Ka. The Indian symbol is a cross that is upright. If you remove the arms and compare the crosses of each indian and nazi swaztikas it will look like....+ (indian: positive) and X (negative:nazi). The nazi symbol is also twisting in a counterclockwise direction whereas the indian symbol is clockwise. In india you will see them everywhere you go, on buildings and jewelry and banners etc. They are good luck. They are worn around the neck pratik

And I also believe the peace symbol to be the representation of the footprint of the dove.

8. Purple_Burnt_Squirre

ok anyone got a forth swastika or fyfolt cross lol

9. velvet

velvet Banned

Hm.. didn't hear that one before.. only the bomb-thing (see my previous post), but this is a very nice explanation as well.. more cute and less political as well ;) Thanks!

10. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

a- bite me, fag is an expression we use round here not actually meant to discriminate against homos. again...bite me.

b- darklunacy you rule

c- i think i would pay money to see lunacy and inbloom fight over me. that could be arousing. :eek: :rolleyes: teehee...

11. shinta

shinta Member

12. Nathan11

Nathan11 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

God, I hate to say this, but most of you guys are stupid!

The peace symbol is the shape of a plane in a circle.
    When it was first created, it meant simply "Ban The Bomb."
    It was the 'bomber' in the cirlce.

Now, onto the comment about the swastika.
    Wow, whoever said it was created by Hitler, you're a dumbass, sorry.
    The swastika comes from Hinduism.
    It's a symbol of compassion and togetherness.
    Just read into Buddhism and Hinduism.

Just my two cents.

13. osama

osama Member

Thank you for this post! I thought nobody will say this :D
    Yeah, people don't know lots of things... :-/

14. itsamagicallife

itsamagicallife Member

15. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

the swatsika was also found on the native american indains teepi's in the earily 1700s

16. Nathan11

Nathan11 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yeah, this is one of the things I didn't mention, but I should have.
    The swastika came from (in my opinion) a particular knot.
    It was a knot of peace in many tribes.
    I believe that when this was tied, you could see the symbol in the middle (which is true, just my theory on where it came from).

*Notice in the picture how the lines of the swastica go over the depressions in the knot. If this knot was pressed onto any surface that could make an impression, a swastika would be shown.

17. lawngirl

lawngirl Member

sorry to jump in so late, and only offer a vague recollection, but here's what i recall being told:
    to the native americans, their version of the symbol represented the connection the four corners.
    i could be way off here, i heard it a long time ago. perhaps i'm also confusing that story with the one on the hindu version.

18. Granolahead

Granolahead Member

Yes the swastika was used in many cultures/religions before the Nazi's gave it a bad image. You still notice it in some statues and pictures of the budda.

As for the peace symbol i dont know where the first ones like the upside down "Y" came from but i think the one we see most today came from the CND. i think i read somewhere it was a combination of the letters N and D for Nuclear Disarmament. here i found the site that explains http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/~lcushing/addpages/PeaceSymbolArticle.html

19. Jennyflower

Jennyflower Member

Hey, yeah i thought the swastika was from hinuduism. and i have a cheap top with the peace sign on but it only had 3 lines, so i had to draw the other one in! I thought it originated from the cnd ban the bomb and now its just associated with peace as so many hippies used it in the 60s. i think it looks like a doves footprint actually. but then again i spose it could be a sparrow or even a pidgeon. if u colour it in it could also be a ladybird! jen xxx