• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 inbloom

inbloom

as the crow flies...

• Members
  • 2,321 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 11:02 AM

one night, me and two of my friends were sitting around drinking. and the one friend, whos' house we were at, has a flag he gets everyone to sign. and on it, my friend signed "peace and love" and put a peace sign next to it. except he didn't do the usual Posted Image one like that, with three lines. he didn't put the line in the middle, and it just had the two. it looks like the mercedes logo, or something. and i said, "hey man, you drew your peace sign wrong." and we got into a big discussion about it, and both of these guys said that there are many variations of it, and there's even one with 5 lines.

so..ugh, is it true? :confused:
Posted Image
Play the piano drunk like a percussion instrument until the fingers begin to bleed a bit.

#2 NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387

~peace~

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 01:31 PM

yeah dude a lot of people use the 'mercedes' peace sign
"I need you around to remind me what not to become"-Kurt Cobain
"Well I woke up this morning, I got myself a beer. Yeah the future's uncertain, the end is always near."-Jim Morrison
"Speak to me only with your eyes"-Robert Plant

#3 MeAgain

MeAgain

Dazed and Confused

• Super Moderator
  • 4,049 posts
  • LocationLocus Amoenus

Posted August 17 2004 - 04:37 PM

Yes there was a "peace" sign without the center bar.

#4 Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27

Surrender to the Flow

• Members
  • 14,313 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 04:38 PM

i never knew there was more than one

what dose the one with 5 lines look like?

Posted Image

#5 DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy

• 3,114 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 05:52 PM

I guess it boils down to 2 things. 1)Ignorance: You didnt know, now you do. Problem solved 2) Stupidity: Your friends dont know what their talking about and were indeed, intoxicated.

Same thing for the anarchist "movement" man. The angsty teens were ignorant to the ABC or even the Anarchist fist logo (Way cooler than that A by any standard) and then stupidity kicked in as they payed for their 50 dollar A shirts with a credit card then proceded to call their friend on a cell phone to tell them...

#6 Peace

Peace

In complete harmony.

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted August 17 2004 - 08:37 PM

There was a post related to this on the previous forums. And if I remember correctly the peace sign with the middle line isn't actually a peace sign. It has somethign to do with chemicals or something.
tylerwayne

#7 velvet

velvet

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,377 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 02:14 AM

As far as I know.. the 'peace' sign really is a sign that protest The Bomb (was a big deal in the '60's).. the shape of a nuclear explosion is that of a mushroom/tree.. and when you draw a that very simplistic, it's a line with two branches. The 'peace' sign is just that, but put upside down, to make clear that you are opposed to The Bomb or nuclear power in general.

Over a period of time however, the sign became a more general symbol in the cry for peace.

At least.. that's my story. Here in the Netherlands we also call it the 'ban the bomb' sign (although kids know it as the 'spice girls sign' as well.. *sigh*).

while there is a soul in prison, I am not free

#8 Fractual_

Fractual_

cosmos factory

• Members
  • 6,943 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 02:28 AM

more signs are cool by me as long as people can make out what they are...

#9 lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky

Tie Dyed Soul

• Members
  • 2,742 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 11:57 AM

I guess it boils down to 2 things. 1)Ignorance: You didnt know, now you do. Problem solved 2) Stupidity: Your friends dont know what their talking about and were indeed, intoxicated.

Same thing for the anarchist "movement" man. The angsty teens were ignorant to the ABC or even the Anarchist fist logo (Way cooler than that A by any standard) and then stupidity kicked in as they payed for their 50 dollar A shirts with a credit card then proceded to call their friend on a cell phone to tell them...

hahahahaha today i saw some fag with an antichrist shirt on....and i thought of u Lunacy.....i laughed....he looked like a tool. On top of it all, it was a fancy button up dress shirt.....i had a good chuckle...then i kicked his ass.

For Now We Are Young, Let us Lay in the Sun

Posted Image

And Count Every Beautiful Thing We Can See...

#10 velvet

velvet

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,377 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 12:08 PM

hahahahaha today i saw some fag with an antichrist shirt on....and i thought of u Lunacy.....i laughed....he looked like a tool. On top of it all, it was a fancy button up dress shirt.....i had a good chuckle...then i kicked his ass.

I take it you're a Christian and you hate 'fag's'?

#11 lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace

• 11,144 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 12:53 PM

I drew it without the middle line when I was little.

#12 underwhelmed

underwhelmed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 12:56 PM

i know people who dont do the usual peace sign Posted Image like this, but take out the middle line because... if you turn it upside down, its like a broken cross, and they look at it saying "peace = broken cross" ??

are you KIND?

#13 Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27

Surrender to the Flow

• Members
  • 14,313 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 12:57 PM

i had a good chuckle...then i kicked his ass.

haha good for you!!!

Posted Image

#14 John221

John221

• 1,410 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 01:04 PM

Right, I've seen both variations that have been mentioned, the 'mercedes' version and the one with 3 lines...I've not heard of one with 5 lines before.

Anyways, I always thought that the 2 line 'mercedes' version was an inacurate misconception, just because I think I've seen the 3 line version used more frequently. But I could be wrong.

I have also heard that the direction of the lines represents CND (i.e. Campagne for Nuclear Disarmament) in semaphor, but since I don't know semaphor I can't verify whether or not that is correct.

Anyway, if anyone knows this 5 line variation, I'd love to know what it looks like; you've really peaked my curiosity now.

Posted Image

#15 jailmate

jailmate

Plantenist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 01:37 PM

some call it a chicken foot, otherz say it is what Uh see when U look up under a goilz dress( a gal that shaved her Hairz)~ ~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Posted Image

#16 NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387

~peace~

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 02:14 PM

a while ago when we had this discussion, some guy said that he thought the peace sign was a swastika or something. since then i've heard someone say that a backwards swastika is a peace symbol
"Well I woke up this morning, I got myself a beer. Yeah the future's uncertain, the end is always near."-Jim Morrison

#17 John221

John221

• 1,410 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 02:20 PM

Yes! I've heard that Hitler created the swastika by turning the symbol for peace back to front. But then, I've also heard that the swastika was an ancient symbol associated with witchcraft and that it has some kind of conection with Catholocism.

Posted Image

#18 soulrebel51

soulrebel51

i's a folkie.

• Members
  • 19,480 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 02:36 PM

some call it a chicken foot, otherz say it is what Uh see when U look up under a goilz dress( a gal that shaved her Hairz)~ ~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

holy shit dude! that was fuckin hilarious hahahaha

Posted Image
jog along bess, hop along may,
squeak along blue its a walk along day...

#19 NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387

~peace~

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 02:38 PM

Yes! I've heard that Hitler created the swastika by turning the symbol for peace back to front. But then, I've also heard that the swastika was an ancient symbol associated with witchcraft and that it has some kind of conection with Catholocism.

o thank godd im not crazy

#20 DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy

• 3,114 posts

Posted August 18 2004 - 03:04 PM

Actually a reversed schwastica means life. I'm pretty sure. My friend is big on that sorta info and he told meh. He could be wrong though

Ps: I <3 lucy and want to father her children

#21 inbloom

inbloom

as the crow flies...

• Members
  • 2,321 posts

Posted August 19 2004 - 12:53 AM

darklunacy, love yah dude, but there is NO way you're fathering lucy's children. i have so dibsed that position, already. ;) :)
Posted Image
Play the piano drunk like a percussion instrument until the fingers begin to bleed a bit.

#22 Purple_Burnt_Squirre

Purple_Burnt_Squirre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted August 19 2004 - 01:44 AM

ok swastika I can explain its meaning as it has been researched and put up on a display in the cathedral I will go there for you all write it down and put it up tomorrow as its been commonly asked about because of the church connection sorry I can't help with the peace sign but surely the mercedes benz one can't be the same meaning for peace I mean doesn't that seem a little strange support peace and mercedes benz for a better tomorrow?
* Feel free to say hi @ sunny_afternoon_rain@hotmail.com :) *

#23 NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387

~peace~

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted August 19 2004 - 08:34 AM

ok swastika I can explain its meaning as it has been researched and put up on a display in the cathedral I will go there for you all write it down and put it up tomorrow as its been commonly asked about because of the church connection sorry I can't help with the peace sign but surely the mercedes benz one can't be the same meaning for peace I mean doesn't that seem a little strange support peace and mercedes benz for a better tomorrow?

it LOOKS like a mercedes logo, but it isn't. lol. PAY ATTENTION! lol.

#24 NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387

~peace~

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted August 19 2004 - 08:35 AM

Actually a reversed schwastica means life. I'm pretty sure. My friend is big on that sorta info and he told meh. He could be wrong though

Ps: I <3 lucy and want to father her children

that might make sense. think about it. part of what life means is not killing people. which in turn means peace. it's a vague farfetched explanation, but i like it!

#25 TheOjaiSon

TheOjaiSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted August 19 2004 - 06:56 PM

i just wanna say PEACE

Posted Image

Without the Earth, people would die. With out people, the Earth would thrive.

#26 Purple_Burnt_Squirre

Purple_Burnt_Squirre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 02:44 AM

to who said I wasn't paying attention and I havn't to your name sorry but what I mean was the one without out the middle line going right down the 3 pointed star symbol mercedes oh I'm so confused forget it, anyway I went to the cathedral and wrote down what it said about the swastika, it is the Fylfot Cross and was a symbol used by early christians during the second and third centuries, it is thought that this is the only form of cross used by christians {I'm sure they mean early christians}. It is made both clockwise and anti clockwise. This symbol became notorious through its association with the Nazi Part in Germany in the first half of last century 1,700 years after it first appeared. so there ya go :)

#27 JohnnyX

JohnnyX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 03:12 AM

a while ago when we had this discussion, some guy said that he thought the peace sign was a swastika or something. since then i've heard someone say that a backwards swastika is a peace symbol

There is some truth to your comment. Actually, Hitler took the symol from the Indian culture. The name of the swaztika is even based in their language but it is actually two words made into one word. Swazi Ka. The Indian symbol is a cross that is upright. If you remove the arms and compare the crosses of each indian and nazi swaztikas it will look like....+ (indian: positive) and X (negative:nazi). The nazi symbol is also twisting in a counterclockwise direction whereas the indian symbol is clockwise. In india you will see them everywhere you go, on buildings and jewelry and banners etc. They are good luck. They are worn around the neck pratik

And I also believe the peace symbol to be the representation of the footprint of the dove.
Kindness in words create confidence
Kindness in thinking creates profundity
Kindness in giving creates
LOVE!! -Lao Tze

#28 Purple_Burnt_Squirre

Purple_Burnt_Squirre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 03:16 AM

ok anyone got a forth swastika or fyfolt cross lol

#29 velvet

velvet

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,377 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 04:01 AM

And I also believe the peace symbol to be the representation of the footprint of the dove.

Hm.. didn't hear that one before.. only the bomb-thing (see my previous post), but this is a very nice explanation as well.. more cute and less political as well ;) Thanks!

#30 lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky

Tie Dyed Soul

• Members
  • 2,742 posts

Posted August 21 2004 - 05:53 PM

I take it you're a Christian and you hate 'fag's'?

a- bite me, fag is an expression we use round here not actually meant to discriminate against homos. again...bite me.

b- darklunacy you rule

c- i think i would pay money to see lunacy and inbloom fight over me. that could be arousing. :eek: :rolleyes: teehee...

For Now We Are Young, Let us Lay in the Sun

Posted Image

And Count Every Beautiful Thing We Can See...