variations of the peace sign?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by inbloom, Aug 17, 2004.

1. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

one night, me and two of my friends were sitting around drinking. and the one friend, whos' house we were at, has a flag he gets everyone to sign. and on it, my friend signed "peace and love" and put a peace sign next to it. except he didn't do the usual [​IMG] one like that, with three lines. he didn't put the line in the middle, and it just had the two. it looks like the mercedes logo, or something. and i said, "hey man, you drew your peace sign wrong." and we got into a big discussion about it, and both of these guys said that there are many variations of it, and there's even one with 5 lines.

so..ugh, is it true? :confused:

2. NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387 ~peace~

yeah dude a lot of people use the 'mercedes' peace sign

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Yes there was a "peace" sign without the center bar.

4. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i never knew there was more than one

what dose the one with 5 lines look like?

5. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

I guess it boils down to 2 things. 1)Ignorance: You didnt know, now you do. Problem solved 2) Stupidity: Your friends dont know what their talking about and were indeed, intoxicated.

Same thing for the anarchist "movement" man. The angsty teens were ignorant to the ABC or even the Anarchist fist logo (Way cooler than that A by any standard) and then stupidity kicked in as they payed for their 50 dollar A shirts with a credit card then proceded to call their friend on a cell phone to tell them...

6. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

There was a post related to this on the previous forums. And if I remember correctly the peace sign with the middle line isn't actually a peace sign. It has somethign to do with chemicals or something.

7. velvet

velvet Banned

As far as I know.. the 'peace' sign really is a sign that protest The Bomb (was a big deal in the '60's).. the shape of a nuclear explosion is that of a mushroom/tree.. and when you draw a that very simplistic, it's a line with two branches. The 'peace' sign is just that, but put upside down, to make clear that you are opposed to The Bomb or nuclear power in general.

Over a period of time however, the sign became a more general symbol in the cry for peace.

At least.. that's my story. Here in the Netherlands we also call it the 'ban the bomb' sign (although kids know it as the 'spice girls sign' as well.. *sigh*).

8. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

more signs are cool by me as long as people can make out what they are...

9. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

hahahahaha today i saw some fag with an antichrist shirt on....and i thought of u Lunacy.....i laughed....he looked like a tool. On top of it all, it was a fancy button up dress shirt.....i had a good chuckle...then i kicked his ass.

10. velvet

velvet Banned

I take it you're a Christian and you hate 'fag's'?

11. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

I drew it without the middle line when I was little.

12. underwhelmed

underwhelmed Member

i know people who dont do the usual peace sign [​IMG] like this, but take out the middle line because... if you turn it upside down, its like a broken cross, and they look at it saying "peace = broken cross" ??

13. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

haha good for you!!!

14. John221

John221 Senior Member

Right, I've seen both variations that have been mentioned, the 'mercedes' version and the one with 3 lines...I've not heard of one with 5 lines before.

Anyways, I always thought that the 2 line 'mercedes' version was an inacurate misconception, just because I think I've seen the 3 line version used more frequently. But I could be wrong.

I have also heard that the direction of the lines represents CND (i.e. Campagne for Nuclear Disarmament) in semaphor, but since I don't know semaphor I can't verify whether or not that is correct.

Anyway, if anyone knows this 5 line variation, I'd love to know what it looks like; you've really peaked my curiosity now.

15. jailmate

jailmate Plantenist

some call it a chicken foot, otherz say it is what Uh see when U look up under a goilz dress( a gal that shaved her Hairz)~ ~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

16. NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387 ~peace~

a while ago when we had this discussion, some guy said that he thought the peace sign was a swastika or something. since then i've heard someone say that a backwards swastika is a peace symbol

17. John221

John221 Senior Member

Yes! I've heard that Hitler created the swastika by turning the symbol for peace back to front. But then, I've also heard that the swastika was an ancient symbol associated with witchcraft and that it has some kind of conection with Catholocism.

18. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

holy shit dude! that was fuckin hilarious hahahaha

19. NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387 ~peace~

o thank godd im not crazy

20. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Actually a reversed schwastica means life. I'm pretty sure. My friend is big on that sorta info and he told meh. He could be wrong though

Ps: I <3 lucy and want to father her children