I plan on trying this out tommorow, and i'll post to see how well it goes!
QUOTE: (by anym who used a traditional cold water extraction and also wrote an extensive tek:)
The cold water extraction is the better way to go! Remember, water is a highly polar compound. It will only dissolve the desireable polar stuff in the seeds. It will not dissolve the unwanted stuff. So if you soak the seed mush in a fair amount of cold, distilled water (a full glass is what I usually use), the water will dissolve the alkaloids in the seeds, while leaving behind the nasty stuff. It is unnecessary to use the nonpolar solvent because the water will not pick up that nonpolar stuff anyway. That nasty stuff will just stay put in the seed mush.
Remember that oil and water don't mix. Just for educational purposes, take some cooking oil and pour it into a glass of water. The two will separate into layers, with the heavier water on the bottom. The bad stuff is like this oil. It will not go into the water.
So you filter this water and get all of the seed mush out of it. You don't want the seed mush. YOU THROW THE MUSH AWAY!. Don't eat it, or you'll defeat the entire purpose of the extraction!
Factors that will destroy LSA or otherwise mess up the extraction include light, chlorine, heat, possibly other impurities in the water, too much time, too little time, poor filtration, poor grinding, etc. To make sure that no impurities in the water like chlorine will destroy the LSA, use distilled water, or at least boil some water and let it cool until it is cold. The water should be cold. If it is warm, it might dissolve a small amount of the bad stuff and heat will also destroy the LSA. The colder it is, the more the extraction is limited to the most polar compounds. Room temp is probably okay. Do not expose the ground seeds to very much light. Light destroys LSA. You want to filter well to avoid retaining fine mush in suspension in the water. Extract for about 20 minutes.
I will lay out my favorite and simplest method here:
seeds, 1 glass, 20 ounces of distilled water, 1 large (family size) empty tea bag or 2-3 smaller ones, Coffee grinder, spoon, bowl, a sifter or splatter screen or something similar, paper towels, stapler, a touch of liquid hand soap.
1. Remove seeds from bags and count the number you would like to use (I recommend at least 400, and at most 600 for the first time)
2. Wash whole seeds briefly to remove any fungicides or other seed coatings. Do this by putting the seeds into a bowl and covering with some cold water. Put just a touch of hand soap in the water. Work the seeds around in the bowl with your fingers for about 10-20 seconds.
3. Rinse seeds. Put them in the sifter or on the splatter screen and rinse with cold tap water until all the soap is gone. (It is probably a good idea not to have them in the water too long, as the water might get into the seeds and remove a little of the alkaloids.)
4. Dry seeds. Do NOT use a blowdryer! Dry them well with paper towels.
5. Once they are dry, grind them pretty thoroughly in a coffee grinder, but not to the point of a fine powder. You want the black seed hulls to remain a little coarse.
6. Put the grounds into the empty tea bags and then staple the tea bags shut. Leave some breathing room in each bag since, when wet, the seed mush will expand and might break the bag if it is too full.
7. Put the tea bags into the glass which you have filled with cold distilled water.
8. Aid the extraction by getting the water into the mush. Some will tend to clump and remain in an air pocket. Use the spoon to submerge the bags and to squeeze them gently against the side of the glass. Also, you can lift and Dunk the bags repeatedly to help extract the LSA.
9. Leave glass to sit in a cool dark place for ten minutes with spoon on top of bags to keep them submerged if they are trying to float.
10. Go back and work on the bags some more with the spoon. Be careful not to tear the bag. If you do tear it and mush leaks out, you will have to filter the water.
11. Leave glass to sit for another ten minutes.
12. Work with spoon some more and then remove the bags and squeeze most of the water that remains in them into the glass.
13. DISCARD BAGS! THROW THEM IN THE TRASH! THE SEED MUSH IS TRASH!
14. Drink water.
"I am not too sure if it helps or not, but on some occasions I put a few squirts of lemon juice into the water to acidify it, possibly aiding alkaloid solubility.
A note on seeds:
You want plenty of seeds. You also want the black ones, like the Heavenly Blue variety. (the Flying Saucers and other light-colored ones are weak) You want fresh seeds. Last year's batch will be weaker. You also want seeds that are not stored in a hot place.
You might experience a little nausea, but nothing too difficult. And if you did everything right and had good seeds, you can expect to feel effects within an hour or an hour and a half.
I usually fast for at least 8 hours before consuming. I don't know what difference it makes.
Always be sure that you are in the proper setting and have the right mindset. Ignore these at your own risk. You could have a very unpleasant experience.
Chances are that you will feel quite different, having a dramatically altered mind. You will also have perceptual changes, like increased pattern recognition in things like the carpet, the walls, or anything really. You will have closed eye visuals, which are enhanced by good music. You might have mild open eye visuals if you consumed a high dose. Usually, even at lower doses, colors will look more vibrant, smells will seem more powerful, slight halos will appear around light sources, everything will seem crisper and brighter. Your pupils will dilate. You might feel some strange body sensations, like mildly achy joints in the knees, a funny feeling in the lower spine, tingling teeth, etc. Your hands will probably feel clumsy and clammy at first.
The experiences induced by Morning Glories can be quite intense, and are nothing to sneeze at. Be sure you are prepared and are psychologically healthy. If you are borderline psychotic, depressed, or manic, stay away!
Avoid really high doses of LSA. LSA causes vasoconstriction, which means that your blood vessels get smaller. This results in lower blood circulation to your extremities, like toes and fingers. If the dose is too high, or it is taken too often, this can have a cumulative effect, and your extremities can go numb and even become gangrenous. With reasonable doses spaced apart at least two weeks, this shouldn't be a problem. But this is one reason that it is a good idea to start with a small dose, to make sure that the vasoconstriction isn't bad. If you have high blood pressure, LSA might not be a good idea. And do not take it in combination with other vasoconstrictive compounds like ephedrine and caffeine. I think that nicotine might be vasoconstrictive as well, but I am not sure about this.
Be safe. And don't do it just to "get f#@ked up." Take a spiritual journey. Learn from it. Explore yourself.
My favorite thing to do while on LSA is to play a musical instrument (guitar, didgeridoo, drums) or paint or do something meditative like that while I am coming up. Don't watch TV. It puts the wrong kinds of thoughts in your head and can result in a bad trip. When I am getting into it pretty well, I retire to the bedroom and turn off the lights and put on some good quality headphones with good music. This results in fantastic visuals unlike anything you have ever imagined if you have never used a good psychedelic before. I see amazing three and seemingly four-dimensional shapes morphing and bifurcating. Often I get religious and esoteric themed visuals, like fractal cherub wings and winged eyes like those in some of Alex Grey's work. Eyes are all over everything! I see pyramids and sphinxes and Gigeresque biomechanical forms. I see amazing geometric lattice structures. I watch mathematical space-filling algorithms doing their thing. I also find that I can control the imagery by an act of will. Anything I intend to visualize comes forth and then goes beyond what I had imagined and then transforms into something else. This is great for artists! I could swear that on one occasion while listening to Mozart's Requiem, Heaven itself opened up inside my skull! It was incredible! OH, THE BEAUTY! I saw glorious celestial architecture and there were seraphs singing along with the chorus in the music. I just can't even begin to describe what this was like. I had tears streaming down my face. I was in the highest ecstacy I have ever known. And all of this with a nothing more than a good mindset, good music, and only about 500 seeds. I'll never forget it. It was probably all in my imagination, programmed by my Catholic upbringing. I don't know and don't really care where it came from. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced, and I still feel great joy when I think of it. I felt so whole!
On other occasions with LSA (I took it while in a less than ideal mind state), I felt like I went to Hell. Everything was empty and awful and terrifying and lonely. I felt like there were worms boring through my brain, eating it. I was a hole. That is the only way to describe it. I felt vacuous. I trembled with horror. Everything felt so incredibly meaningless.
I hope your experiences will take you to nice places. Be careful. Your brain is not a toy. Consider yourself warned."