What is Your Heritage?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by lunarflowermaiden, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Elijah

Elijah Member

never be ashamed of what you are ethnicly. it's not your fault you were born an asian.

2. Elijah

Elijah Member

hispanic is incorrectly used now a days to refer to anyone who is spanish speaking. originally hispanic specificly refered to someone from spain.i get irritated when i often hear people use spanish to mean mexican or puerto rican, etc. you might as well go around saying that everyone who speaks the english language is themselves english.

3. tomboy_chick

tomboy_chick Member

4. caliente

caliente Senior Member

It's true that the term "Hispanic" originally meant only people who came from Spain, but when applied to Americans it has come to also mean any Spanish-speaking people from Latin America. I am therefore entirely correct to call myself "Hispanic".

However, "Latina" is more specific, since it refers only to one of Latin American origins, and there is no ambiguity.

Since I don't want you to be irritated, I will henceforth refer to myself as "Latina" on this forum.

5. Elijah

Elijah Member

we should call the ancient romans latino, since latin was their actual language they spoke. rather than a language derived from latin(spanish)

6. KatieMarrie

KatieMarrie Member

I know that I'm German, Irish, and Scottish, and possibly a small percentage Cherokee.

7. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

I polled African because I look black more than anything but I have Native American, German, and Africans ancestry.

8. KJ69

KJ69 Visitor

Mostly English. I had one grandmother who was half Italian and half Armenian.

9. poiphreak

poiphreak Member

scottish and french canadian

10. mizanthrope

mizanthrope Member

british/irish/scottish

11. i forget my name

i forget my name Member

so many different things. i don't even know. apparently my ancestors liked everyone! but, i consider my self mexican.

12. veiled1

veiled1 Member

Irish.. and Indian...

13. Gniknus

Gniknus Member

Why are Asians Italicized and the other ones aren't?

14. prana

prana Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  15. yovo

yovo Member

I'm a mut

My mothers fathers side and my fathers mothers side are mostly a mix of english and irish. Some came to canada as Loyalists following the revolutionary war, others were more recent arivals durring the 1800s.

My fathers father was French Canadian through and through, so he surely had some native american in him too(most French Canadians do). Our family name is a purely French Canadian 'dit' name in that it was a name given to my g-g-g-g-g-g-g grandfather Jean Baptiste Benech by his regiment when he arrived in New France to fight in the French and Indian Wars. After two generations in Canada the name of Benech dit Lavictoire was shortened down to just Lavictoire (translates to 'the victory' in english).

My mothers mother was nearly all Ukranian/Polish with the exception of her grandfather (my great great grandfather) who was an orphaned scotsman who came to Canada on his own.

16. littlehippieee420

littlehippieee420 Member

i'm a couple of things- i'm french-canadian, irish, and hungarian from my mom, then italian, cuban and german from my dad. really weird combo lol :)

17. Dunnox

Dunnox Member

I'm Latvian. I guess i have some russian blood too, but only from one of my grandfathers.

18. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

English, French, Scottish, Luxembourgish, and Transylvanian.

19. i_got_life22

i_got_life22 Member

i am italian and native american. it's a fantastic combination i love my heritage!! :D

20. Dylanchick0113

Dylanchick0113 Member

french,english,irish,scottish, and iriquios,, im the palest chick on earth,lol