**READ ME** - Dread Newbies FAQ/ PLUS Basic Care and maintenance Guide

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Earthy Mama, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Billie

Billie Member

my dreads are only 3-4 months old so theyre not super tight and shit. anyway due to them not being tight they like to get together and form massive knots about the size of my fist.
    should i rip these apart or use scissors? is there a way of avoiding this from happening? AND i have ripped them a couple of times but it makes them really fuzzy.. i dunno but yeah i dont want to have hair with fat as matts the size of my hand..

yeah help please ma man.

peace*

2. forest420

forest420 Senior Member

rip em apart. if u use scissors u could cut the wrong thing, especially if the knotts are big. after u rip them apart palm roll them. like when ur just sitting down watching tv or on the computer or watever just palm roll and play with ur dreads. it will help them from not knotting because u are seperating them while u palm roll them. and they will be frizzy for a while, u cant really do a lot with that they go away eventually.
    peace~

3. Billie

Billie Member

thanks buddy

4. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

ive got a question. my dreads keep getting all messy and slightly falling out when i sleep. i keep palm rolling them back up but im afraid im not getting them back into their respective dread yahno?...anything to help with this?

5. Billie

Billie Member

oh yeah and also would giving my hair a trim promote growth just like brushed hair?

thanks man

6. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Try sleeping with a wool hat on...it might help.

7. DancerAnnie

No...your hair will naturally shrink at first...then will grow slowly...it's a natural process. Cutting your hair will do nothing but make it shorter.

8. sweetdreadlover

i have but it usually falls off and than once again they fall out and i try to get them back in..grrr...

9. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

some of my dreads are suffering from straight-dread syndrome. how do i fix this problem.

10. sweetdreadlover

yeah mine are doing the same thing bumble...but i have found the clockwise rubbing method does the best for them, and in fact once in awhile a hair will fall out and it looks all nappy-like so i am thrilled with that. have u tried the clockwise rubbing method?

11. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

Once in 3 months I rip everything apart because all the dreadies are growing together, put some rubber bands in for 1 or 2 weeks, and they grow together less fast I think.

12. Closetjunkie

Closetjunkie Member

I've had my dreads for just over 2 weeks now and I was just wondering if the posted picture below is what they should look like by now? I've spent a good amount of time looking for pictures of new dreads on the internet, but it seems people only post once their dreads are really established. I haven't used any wax or anything, and I've washed my hair once. I did them myself with a whole lot of backcombing and palm rolling. I love them so much, and I honestly can't imagine myself without them. And if you'll notice, I love beads. I picked myself up a bunch of wooden macrame beads from the thrift store to use around the roots instead using elastics like all the websites said. I just can't see elestics doing any good, just harm to the hair.

But please, where should I go from here?

[​IMG]
    it's a thumbnail so click for it to get bigger. Thanks.

13. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

Looking great, this is a pic of mine when they were 2 months:

[​IMG]

And now, almost 7 months:

[​IMG]

14. Closetjunkie

Closetjunkie Member

Yours looked great at 2 months! I can't wait until I get there! Only...a whole lot of weeks left!

The 7 month photo is making me uber excited for when I get there. It'sgoing to be so awesome!

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves lots of beads in my hair!

15. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

16. sweetdreadlover

so i am getting reallypissed at my white girl hair that wont seem to dread worth a crap. i tried not using my wax anymore and now my hair looks like crap and isnt dreadding at all...why???

17. forest420

forest420 Senior Member

the reason it looks like crap and wont dread now is because if u did use wax, u were use to seeing ur hair stuck together by it. it wasnt actually dreading. just backcomb ur hair a little, and palm roll it whenever u have free time. it will dread eventually. your hair might just take a little longer. :) peace~

18. DancerAnnie

Just be patient...some people's hair takes longer to dread than others. Just remember, it's a process. You'll get there when you get there...it's about the journey, not the destination.

19. forest420

forest420 Senior Member

annie's got it right on!!

~You'll get there when you get there...it's about the journey, not the destination

20. sweetdreadlover

well actually i think i am going to go on record by saying wax is probably better than the natural way...especially for those of us starting with short hair. i do not want to have to wear a bandana for years until my hauir decides to do something...nope i think im sticking to my wax...