Punks-enemy to the metalheads?WHY?

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by Philip909, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Philip909

Philip909 Member

HI,i was wondering-are punks metalheads enemys?And why?I heard that they hate each other

2. Metallideth

Metallideth Sir

Stereotypically, both hold stereotypical views of the other. Punks think metalheads feel their music is superior because it (is.. i mean) is more technical/heavy/fast/ect. On a local hardcore/punk proboard, most people just take shots at the imagery of metal, and even on here, I remember someone saying they wouldn't listen to music if they didn't like how the musicians dressed. Pretty lame, if you ask me.

Personally, I dont see people as "punk" or "metalhead", but as people. If someone is an idiot, it doesn't matter what music they listen to.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I thought these 'enemy' stereotypes dissappeared in the nineties with the coming of crossover bands.

4. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

Mods and rockers, man.
    Punks and metalheads get along; it is purely stereotypical. Metal is my favourite genre of music but I like some punk bands. A punk friend of mine said he can't stand Metal because of the roaring vocals - which is fair enough, because in comparison to Metal vocalist, punk singers sound like fannies.
    But; if you don't have a time machine, the war is on Emos.

5. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

I don't think metalheads as a group really have any enemies. Of course there are individual people that don't like metal, or even hate it, but a) what are they ever going to be able to do about it, and b) why would they try to pose a threat to metalheads just because they dislike 'our' music? If the word enemy roughly means 'someone or something willing and able to hurt you', I don't think there is any genre of music which' fans can be considered an enemy to metal.

The war is not on emos as there is no war.

6. Bunker

Bunker Member

I agree there is no war, I think Emo is a bit silly but that's about it, they can do or be what they want.

As far as punk, I like some punk and it has had it's influence on metal, the New Wave of British Heavy Metal incorporated alot of the punk ethic. Hard-Core was a essentially a mix of Metal and Punk.

At the end of the day there are only two types of music...

...good music... and crap.

7. hailtothekingbaby

No there isn't! Life isn't so black-and-white, you know!

Let my explain by way of graphical graphs:

[​IMG]

There is no such thing as 'good music' and 'crap music'; everybody has their own, personal, subjective and ever-changing musical 'hierarchy', because you will never in your life find someone with the exact same knowledge and appreciation of music as yourself, and every single person's taste is continually subject to change. Yes, some bands can be called 'cool' or 'crap', but only in your own view, and there are bands that will transcend the status of merely cool or merely crap, and there will be even more bands that gravitate somewhere in between those two.

For instance, somebody may spend his/her entire life listening to apres ski music and think all metal is unintelligible noise, whereas I for one am of the opinion that metal is the best thing ever to have happened to music, and that people who enjoy apres ski deserve to witness their families being shot before they themselves are raped to death in public.

To complicate things further, people may feel certain music is 'crap', yet entertaining, thus extensively listen to music they actually don't think much of in technical terms, making it actually necessary to uphold two seperate such hierarchies, one focusing on technical quality and the other on entertainment value.

Hoping to have informed you sufficiently I remain,
    Yours truly,

Doktor Von Smegma

8. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

BTW I wasn't being serious about a 'war' on Emo's, it's just a general feeling of disgust that I and a lot of my Metal-'head' friends have towards the genre and fashion.
    Of course, there is no war.

9. Born2Lose

Born2Lose Member

I never though that punks and metalheads were ever enemies? I have a bunch of punk friends, that i hang out with all the time. We even went to a Gwar show together. (That's definately a median between punks and metalheads.) The only enemies i have are Juggalo's.

10. Bunker

Bunker Member

There IS crap music, any moron can see that, just because people like something it doesn't mean it's not crap. People like McDonalds, the food is inferior quality, it is crap.

11. hailtothekingbaby

Any moron can see that?? I don't see it. Does that make me NOT a moron to you?? Huh? Is that what you're trying to say? Fuck! You can't just barge in here calling me not a moron and expect to get away with it, kiddo. I'll let it slip this time, but next time I catch you insulting me like that again I'm gonna kick your ass so hard you're going to have to carry it around under your arm!

:p

12. Zadria

Zadria Member

Just listen to what music you like and don't worry what the next peeson is listening to. Pretty Pathetic like the whole Yankees Red Sox rivalry!

13. WalkTheSky

WalkTheSky Member

Pretty much. If you like it then you like it, don't let other people decide your taste.

14. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

a true punk band has no guitar solos.
    a true metal band has mad guitar solos.
    in punk the music is just a means to get a point accross, in metal, the music is worshiped as an art.
    this is why "they that must have a lable" sometimes dont get along.

15. Hanoi Dollbreaker

Hanoi Dollbreaker Member

Everybody loves Motorhead.

16. Xac

Xac Visitor

Music is subjective, and there for not able to be considered comparitivley like foods that atleast on a nutritional level have quantifiable and objective values that can be calculated exaclty.

17. PunkRocker

PunkRocker Member

I hate a lot of bands and music...i call them crap...others love it and praise it...its matter of opinion...

i listen to punk and metal...and punk metal...

18. Hanoi Dollbreaker

Hanoi Dollbreaker Member

I am split right down the middle of the two genres. I will say that a lot more punk bands turned metal than the other way around. Of course I don't care too much about technical proficiency. Rock-n-roll is all about attitude.

It was pretty funny when Black Sabbath were playing faster than Black Flag- circa '83-84!

19. Metallideth

Metallideth Sir

I do like a bit of punk, but I can't get into music where the riffs suck and the vocalist has a monotone yell/whine voice ... and punk seems to touch on those things more often. (See: Raised Fist, while the riffs are great for the most part, the vocals suck consistantly)

20. gaum

gaum Elephant Orgy

i love punk, and i love metal. i love punks and metalheads. cant we all just get along? that being said, fuck emo