Can panama red ever make it back to the main cannabis seed industries?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding and Seed Strains' started by Guttagorilla, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Guttagorilla

Guttagorilla Member

(Somebody please help the cause)

Well the other day I was talking to my uncle a (old school weed head) always... he found his old cigar box he lost from years back..... So he had about three different strains from that era just a couple of buds and we smoke what he called panama red it was really red... (Not Purple or blue) just red gave me a different high than my white widow. So after we finish I ask him everything about the strain and its origins he and I agree that if we ever come a across it again we should breed it with our red hair skunk and Rock Bud to make a strong red Hybrid (his favorite color is red) .he really educated to bring it back for the young generations to experience. I also heard of Red haze which is supposed to be a Red panama and haze cross and red widow ...... anyway I think that I would be the envy of my breeding club if I came across this strain... not only that but I want the older breeders and new era need to experience that high and give these old strains respect for giving them good genetics... smoking it was like traveling back in time and being in my uncle's world. Plus I think that Red panama would do well in today’s market.... (I mean it would give northern light a mean slap in the face). So is it still available on the market via online? I check seed bay but they just had a cross, but no pics and most likely had no strong red panama genetics. Its name alone is almost like a legend it’s like Hercules of the weed world. I know if any other breeders take this issue seriously they well produce some beautiful offspring and take pride in it almost like a child.

feel free to post any pics of it thanks....

Vermonstah likes this.
  2. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

I heard from somewhere (don't remember where) that there is one seed company that specializes in "classic" strains and landrace strains. I can't remember the name of the company even though I did go to thier web site. They are real popular with breeders - not so much with regular growers. Keep lookin' dude, it's still out there!!!

3. Guttagorilla

Guttagorilla Member

Thanx.....well can you help me get started in the right direction .... there is also other internet breeders who are really focus on finding this and spreading awareness

4. Born2Lose

Born2Lose Member

From what i know about Panama Red is that it's one of the extinct strains. Meaning that you will almost never find the real seeds. I have seen a few strains that where a cross of Panama Red and something else, but it's nearly impossible to find the real thing.

5. Guttagorilla

Guttagorilla Member

6. Guttagorilla

Guttagorilla Member

Colombian Red Haze
    http://www.seedsman.com/en/cannabis-seeds/seedsman-seeds/seedsman-silver/colombian-rojo-haze

Genetics: Neville's Haze x Colombian Red (Punta Roja)

AKA: Columbian Red Haze

Variety: Mostly sativa (80%)

Type: Hybrid

Harvest Date: November

Flowering Period: 12-14 weeks :twisted:

THC Content: 20%

No. of seeds Per Packet: 10

Characteristics: Minty Fresh Sativa Flavour.

Colombian Rojo Haze is an excellent sativa hybrid cross between a Neville's Haze mother and a Colombian Red father.Neville's Haze (the mother) is a stong pine flavoured long leafed 75% sativa strain - a hybrid cross of Original Haze with a quarter Northern Lights. The resulting strain being a heavier budder than true Haze strains but with strong Haze cerebral effect. It is named after its renowned creator Neville - one of the pioneers of commercial cannabis seed breeding programmes.For many years Colombia was not only famous for its export of cocaine to the US and the rest of the world, but also for its growing marijuana trade and export. Traffickers were looking for new areas to pick up high quality marijuana after the authorities were catching on quickly in Mexico, using paraquat and other underhand measures to stop growers and trafickers at any cost. Colombia was fortunate to have some of the most popular and most potent landrace strains e.g. Colombian Gold, Columbian Red (or Punta Roja). It is thought that Columbian Gold originated in the highlands of Colombia whilst Colombian Red originated in lower areas. Colombian Red has a brownish-red flair on the edges of the leaves with red highlights bringing attention to its buds.
    Colombian Rojo Haze is an hybrid cross of Neville's Haze with Columbian Red - it is 80% sativa and flowers in 12-14 weeks. A lengthy time but like most Haze strains the finished bud is of the highest quality. It is a strong plant that can be easily bent indoor to adapt to low ceiling rooms. It will grow to 1.5 metres in 7.5 litre pots with a short vegetative period.

7. Guttagorilla

Guttagorilla Member

8. repteur

repteur Member

I smoked panama red back in the late 70's a outstanding smoke. Only around for little bit. Also Acapulco Gold that was around a lot more. Use to smoke the hell out of that. Also columbian gold bud. I use to smoke the hell out of that to. Price back then was 35 ounce. Haven't smoked pot in a long time. It looks like a different ballgame these daYS. With a lot of domestic growing and less importing. Back then the expensive stuff was like maui waui. That would have been more then 35 ounce.

9. highlandganjaman

highlandganjaman Member

Check out the Real Seed Company they have a Breeders Forum and Strain Guide
    on http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showforum=197
    they don't have the Panama Red but have lots of originals
    you will also see the new strain coming out of the UK called Killer Skunk
    Smoked some Red in the early seventies
    had some mates in the navy who used to bring it back mmmmmmm very nice
    Hope it's of help keep it green man

10. fedster

fedster Member

hehehehe Panama Red hell yeah! what a great memory. It has been like 10 years since I smoked and actually last night I was chilling with some friends and among other things we were remembering the time when I brought a QP of Panama Red.

I haven't seen it around for a while, maybe if you happen to have a friend in Colombia you may be able to ask for some seeds, of what some friends from Colombia have told me, Punto Rojo (the local name for it) was a commonly sold weed over there, but again my friends left Colombia like 10 years ago, She used to tell me tha when she went to COlombia she was going to bring me some seeds, but well she hasn't go back.

An other classic that is mentioned on that article you posted, the Colombian Gold. OMG that weed was the BOOOOMB, great memories, again an oter weed that I have like 10 years with out seen it.

I would like to put just for the record, that I haven't seen these weeds in a while maybe because I switch from buying compressed weed, that is how those weeds used to come, to buying kind bud and organic weeds. with this to open the space that it may still be available but not to my sources.

11. Naturalhi

Naturalhi Great hairy ape

I've lamented most of the "old" strains that have been bred out existance by well meaning breeders that were searching the perfect "blend".

Gone are the days when one buy, an "I see God" or it's "mellow out" time or pure laugh out loud strains. Ho hum!

12. FLORIDA MON

FLORIDA MON Member

Man, I have not heard of that specific strain in years. Many of the 70's classics seem to have disappeared or have been crossbread out of existance.

I'm sure that many do not maintain the same properties if they're not grown in their native soil.

13. fedster

fedster Member

like a week or two ago, I met this girl that sells weed in Panamá, and I know this things can be different depending on your circle and contacts, but she told me she hasn't seen Panama Red in a long time in Panamá :mad:

14. Rocklobster

Rocklobster Senior Member

Thats very true with mj. I'd say most of these hybreds we get today would.nt last more then a few years if left to grow and breed in the wild coz some of the genetics they need to survive have been bred out in favour of fast growing or heavy yield genentics.

15. Freak Flag

Freak Flag Guest

Panama Red, Panama Red
    He'll steal your woman, then he'll rob your head
    Panama Red, Panama Red
    On his white horse, Mescalito
    He come breezin' through town
    I'll bet your woman's up in bed with
    ol' Panama Red

The judge don't know when Red's in town
    He keeps well hidden underground
    But everybody's acting lazy
    Falling out and hangin' 'round

My woman said, "Hey Pedro
    you're actin' crazy like a clown"
    Nobody feels like working
    Panama Red is back in town

Panama Red, Panama Red
    Panama Red, Panama Red
    ol' Panama Red

Everybody's looking out for him
    'Cause they know Red satisfies
    Little girls love to listen to him
    Sing and tell sweet lies

But when things get too confusing, honey
    You're better off in bed
    And I'll be searching all the joints in town for
    Panama Red

Panama Red, Panama Red
    Panama Red, Panama Red
    ol' Panama Red

Good times.I miss the old Panama Red.The strains back in the 70`s seemed almost magical.The taste and the buzz was something special.There are still some PR crosses around,but I don`t think you will find the pure PR again.I have some beans with PR genetics,but it`s not nearly the same.Nowadays everything is hybridized in hopes of finding a strain that will knock you on your ass,when it was the old school genetics that did the job.

Peace

16. MP69

MP69 Guest

I smoked this stuff in the 70's and it is the strongest pot I ever had. We grew a few plants from the seed and the sap ran red from the stem when a leaf was removed, the leaves were very potent. The smoke smelled like someone pissed on a fire and it made your face flush. The high was very trippy almost like mushrooms. At a time when I was doing a lot of hallucinogens along with a full menu of stimulates and a lot of alcohol, this shit tripped me out and then knocked me out, a friend and I sat on his back steps and lit a joint, got blazed and woke up an hour later to discover we had only smoked half a joint, the effects lessened with use, as usual. The history I read and heard about it was that the US Government had done experimentation in Mexico to develop a strain of Hemp for making rope that would contain no THC and instead came up with a super pot. I was stationed in Thailand during the Vietnam war and smoked a lot of different types of Thai stick, I smoked Ghanga sold by a Chinese man in the park in Lahaina in '69, Maui Wowie too, Temple hash brought back by friends who went to India in the sixties and seventies and all the specialty strains from Mexico that bore the name of the states it was from, I won't try to spell them, Red Columbian is the strongest pot I have ever smoked in over 40 years of indulging and I would love to see it become available again.

17. ihateregistering

ihateregistering Guest

Yes folks I have found real honest to God OLD panama red seeds. A dispensary owner had a relative die and in his safe was an envelope containing lots of seeds. they were at least 20 yrs old. Only two have taken off but that is all one needs if they come out all right which I have every reason to believe. So there is hope.
    Being 'old' I do remember the wonderful Acapulco Gold (it was very gold btw) and that weed was as strong as anything grown today. Same with the Red.
    Is there any REAL Gold seeds out there?

Anyone hear of Juliet? We picked that up off a Rastaman great taste women especially like it.:afro:

18. skip

skip Founder Administrator

God's Gift reminds me of old skool Colombian. It's small golden buds.

19. NDANDES

NDANDES Guest

Its all over the place down here in Bogota..a zipper runs you about 15 bucks!

20. Drumminstoned3

Drumminstoned3 Guest

Damn bro its been forever since i heard about panama red. (im only 18) but I smoked that shit alot wit my family. It was sought after alot back in the 60s an 70s by m.j afficianatos. I always really prefer straight bud no cross or dilutes man just pure. But i found crossing some uranus with panama red is dope shit. Really, man panama red is a very rare strain man just cause its old. Heres my old secret that got me tore the hell up for a long ass time man, If you ever (probley wont) come across Jamacian gold get a seed and cross panama red throw in a few red haired skunk buds broke up in the soil and see where that takes you man. Thats the best shit ive eversmoked.