Atheists- What do you believe in?

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by myself, Mar 27, 2007.

1. myself

myself just me

2. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

They firmly believe that something they have not the perception
    to locate or define.
    Does not exist.
    That is.
    If they cant see it, If they cant reason it.
    it aint real.

It's all about them.
    Not what actually may exist.

Occam

3. Any Color You Like

Any Color You Like Senior Member

I beleive we must find happiness.
    Exactly. Reality is what remains even when you stop beleiving in it, so God isn't real.

4. dejavudu

dejavudu Banned

Occam:
    Bollocks. Here is an adjustment:

They firmly believe that something they have not the perception
    to locate or define.
    Does not warrant their belief.
    That is.
    If they cant see it, If they cant reason it.
    it aint 'known'.

It's all about all.
    Including what may yet come into existence.

Atheism is a position taken only in regard to the concept of 'god'

Atheists believe in many different kinds of things, just like other human beings. Sometimes they grant god existence, but only as concept, and never for themselves, as they please to possess the highest meaning of this word:---"nothing at all". The often undisclosed myriad of meanings for which this word is misappropriated is something we hesitate to indulge.

5. 3DJay

3DJay Member

If there's no real evidence for a proposition (which would include not even being able to adequately define it), then it doesn't warrant belief.

"That which Agnostics deny and repudiate, as immoral, is the contrary doctrine, that there are propositions which men ought to believe, without logically satisfactory evidence;" ~ Thomas Huxley

Peace

6. Dejavu

Dejavu Until the great unbanning

Yes, that's it.

7. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I believe that Lou Reed is a walking God among men, but the true spirit of this earth lies within heroin.

I bow down to all the junkies!

8. Dejavu

A becoming gesture, if one generally has not the occasion to look up to them. :)

9. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I am 100% certain that I exist.

That is all.

10. midnite702toker

midnite702toker Member

If there were no people on earth would there still be a "god?"

11. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Ofcourse... Lou Reed's Transformer would still be around, you can just worship that.

12. SkepRandi

SkepRandi Member

What I believe:
    • The laws of nature (not how we understand them, though those are excellent to use and rely upon)
    • The universe is cold and uncaring
    • Individuals should define their own purposes in life
    • Humanity should work towards the betterment of others
    • Letting each person live their lives the way they want them to... with very little laws. No killing and all that stuff.
    • Science is an excellent (I daresay the best) method to understand the universe, reach "enlightenment", and spread goodness.
    • Faith is an evil (mostly) force that needs to be eradicated from existence by spreading knowledge and teaching basic skills like logic.
    I think that's a decent list right now. Obviously there is a lot more... so if you want to know just ask.

13. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

So, dejavu. Do you say that a being/race that has shaped/directed our reality
    to result in what we percieve.

Is not possible? [yes or no]

Occam expects a 1000 words in your reply...Is he right?
    Dont bother.
    They will be discarded.
    Yes or no says it all.
    But we already know no rational/informed being could say no.
    And you have no way of defining HOW possible such may be.
    You are but a speck of redundant protoplasm on some rock in
    the low rent district of our observable universe.
    Just like occam.

Occam

14. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

SkepRandi

Well said.

Especially 'defining purpose' Both individuals and our race could do with
    a good sit down and defining wtf we are doing and where we want to go.

Occam

15. Dejavu

Yes, possible, and actual since Humans do it every day.

The rent is high. Life is always high above all that does not live! It can't help it.

16. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

SkepRandi
    What I believe:
    • The laws of nature (not how we understand them, though those are excellent to use and rely upon)
    • The universe is cold and uncaring
    • Individuals should define their own purposes in life
    • Humanity should work towards the betterment of others
    • Letting each person live their lives the way they want them to... with very little laws. No killing and all that stuff.
    • Science is an excellent (I daresay the best) method to understand the universe, reach "enlightenment", and spread goodness.
    • Faith is an evil (mostly) force that needs to be eradicated from existence by spreading knowledge and teaching basic skills like logic.
    I think that's a decent list right now. Obviously there is a lot more... so if you want to know just ask.

It is well said, in my view, but I find much that does not fit my own views.
    The universe is love incarnate, incredible, a invaluable treasure, a gift to behold, if even for a moment. Science has its place, if the method is strictly adhered to by all scientists. It is not, because of such qualities as ego, greed, fear, exclusivity, ignorance, and even boldfaced, purposeful, deception being used for reasons other than scientific advancement. This is easily seen throughout the history of science, and is still the case today. I support science, and love to learn about it's many discoveries, but I am dissapointed at the amount of crap that is passed off as science, which I feel clearly is not. Faith, I cannot imagine it as being evil. It can be misguided, and it can be blind, but the world would be duller and a lesser place without it.

‘Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with. His mind was created for his own thoughts, not yours or mine.’ Henry S. Haskins

"If I do not believe as you believe, it proves that you do not believe as I believe, & this is all that it proves." Thomas Paine

'Faith begins where Reason sinks exhausted.' Albert Pike

Logic and faith are not incompatible, for me at least. I am a fairly analytical person, I can be skeptical of what is told to me no matter who said it, I understand critical thinking skills, and the scientific method, and I have a logical mind. But, I have concluded that faith, and qualities like it, such as love, kindness, and charity, are hard to prove as being logical. They are logical to me, but there are good arguments against it, especially by philophers. So... I feel faith is likely impossible to eradicate, luckily, and that evil is in and of itself, not a quality of things like religion, faith, etc. These things can be used for evil purposes, and often are, but that does not make they themselves evil.

Occam, as for defining purpose, totally agree. Too bad we as a species appear to have no time for things like that. Planning ahead really would have helped avoid our current death spiral. Purpose, to me, is personal. It is not my business what anyone else holds as their purpose unless it directly affects me, and even then, it is often beyond my ability to do much about it. One can only change oneself, we cannot control others without their consent. I dislike people's attempts to control others, and avoid it if at all possible myself.

17. al-Hallaj Kabir Ali

al-Hallaj Kabir Ali Member

Check my signature:

18. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

al Hallaj

"Every minute of every day we face 'the Judgement.' Whatever happens to us when we pass on is the result of that daily and hourly Judgement."

Occam faces no judgement. For his actions are not defined by an inherent
    knowing of an external code..
    The only codes are those of reason and heart.
    They come from within

All other codes are ENFORCED BY HUMANS ON OTHER HUMANS
    in accordance with socio-political aims and human power structures.

You can break my body, but you will never take my spirit.
    'Judgement is powerless'
    Despite the railings of tinpot religions and holy men.

Occam

19. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

BlackGuard

What death spiral is that? ;)
    Occam thinks we enter a period of corporate statism.
    This will continue for a long time. No doubt.
    Maybe 100's of years.
    But eventually.

Spirit will prevail and we will leave this system

[and the controllers] behind.

We will leave the cradle

Occam

20. aghori baba

aghori baba Member

God is an invention of man. nothing wrong with it, but ponder what is man?, and upon true inquiry it dawns on you that there exists a vast emptiness or fullness from which issues forth your mind(time) , and unto which it returns and repairs not unlike deep sleep nor death of the mind(body). somebody at certain time choose to call this inner source of the projected Universe (time) God. Its just a neme. You can call it Dog it doesnt matter. I think atheism is in conflict with the name and all it has come to conjure not with the source or Dog.