Asian Movies

Discussion in 'Asia' started by velvet, Aug 9, 2004.

1. strangemeeting

strangemeeting Member

i might see "My Sassy Girl" on my next visit to my cousin's house as she seem to have a good movie collection. The similar styled film, "Il Mare" is my favourite

I had a brief fascination with Girlish Anime about few yrs ago, until the naivety became predicatable and hopeless. "Love Hina" & "Fruit Basket" utterly disgusted me...

2. ÁÖÃÎÔµ

ÁÖÃÎÔµ Member

3. DeadlyPinay

DeadlyPinay Member

I haven't seen movies for a long time now. And most of the movies I've seen are Japanese or Chinese with English subtitiles and Filipino movies, which are mostly romance. The romance movies are pretty good actually, but I need to watch some action movies, or comedy.

4. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

I'm well into Asian film, particularly anything Japanese, especially anything with Toshiro Mifune.

5. eteraldragon

eteraldragon Member

6. _monocontento_

_monocontento_ Member

Just recently watched a movie called "Ongbak: The Tai Warrior" and it was a good four star flick. Had alot of great martial arts and a good plot. Also watched this very interesting Japanese film called "Bright Future" about these two young men who are trying to find their way in the world and both share a facination with one of the character's poisonous jellyfish. It was very unique and I felt it had a lot of symbolism in it, you had to have patience while watching it but if you have the time I highly recommend it!

7. _monocontento_

_monocontento_ Member

oh sorry about ongbak, didnt realize it was already up.. but remembered "The Dynamite Warrior" was also good, and Japanese film called "Dolls" was very good (a little slower but good)

8. grassyarse

grassyarse Member

Try to find 'Help Me Eros'
    A Taiwanese film about weed, sex, and desperation.

9. mahj_cha

mahj_cha Guest

Japanese Horror Movies are the best! You should watch them.
    Especially the One Missed Call and The ring Trilogy... :)

10. Zacharyrod

Zacharyrod Guest

Lol, dido on that last part. Japanese aren't very good with action films, but they are great with horror and drama.

11. Zacharyrod

Zacharyrod Guest

Loved both :)

12. Cloaking Device

Cloaking Device Member

Good new Chinese film I saw on the plane called 'Let the Bullets Fly'

It really reminded me of a Hollywood blockbuster before CGI, really silly but plenty of good jokes and a nice convoluted plot

13. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

The Secret - Taiwanese movie starring and directed by Jay Chou. :)

14. vietnam travel

vietnam travel Member

I haven't see 'house of the flying daggers'. I will see soon.

I like Chinese film very much. Special film is " Tay Du Ky". There are a series in this film with mystery scenery.

15. InariChan

InariChan Guest

I'm shocked that nobody mentioned Studio Ghibli and the works of Hayao Miyazaki! Everyone needs to see "Totoro," "Spirited Away," "Howl's Moving Castle," "Princess Mononoke," "Porco Rosso," "Grave of Fireflies..." not only are they all absolutely stunning visually, but the stories are beautiful and moving with a much deeper meaning than what's on the outside.

But if you want something sort of off the beaten track, I definitely recommend "Old Boys." If you like "Fight Club" or "Memento," you'll love "Old Boys." Super crazy, dark, psychotic and above all, thrilling!