Asian Movies

Discussion in 'Asia' started by velvet, Aug 9, 2004.

1. velvet

velvet Banned

Hey all :)

Lately I'm really into asian movies.. I put a 'review' of three that I saw in the movie-forum, but I thought it might be nice to discuss the subject here as well, especially since this kind of movies don't seem to get the attention that they deserve..

How do you feel about asian movies? What do you like, what don't you.. etc. etc.. share your story! :)

The ones I saw recently, with a link to my post about'm:

Ong Bak: the Muay Thai Warrior (Thai)
    http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19123

The Samsara (Tibetan/Ladakh)
    http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20154

The Happiness of the Katakuris (Japanese)
    http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22020

2. _Zerenity_

_Zerenity_ Member

with asian movies, especially Thai, the budgets are no where near hollywood.. in thailand people love hongkong, korean and japanese movies... thai movies are on the rise now, as there are many production companies around and also more human resources in the field.. the show business is on the rise.. (especially tv commercials) they didnt release that many thai movies in a year and we could see that it is changing.... they tend to stick to the drama, historical, romantic comedy, comedy, action.... they released a sci-fi earlier this year(Garuda), the story line was really crappy to be honest, but it was thailand's first sci-fi.. it was interesting for me to see a giant creature doing godzilla-like damage to my city.. since all the creature movies i've seen are set over seas...

i quite like ongbak, it shows some parts of the society, although they added the streetfighter-fightclub kind of scenes, the stunts was still good and the story about the illegal trade of the buddha statues was interesting... they didnt make it all about fighting, the drama, like when the guy left his village and the villagers gave some of their money to him... that is something that can really happen... in small villages people are very sincere, they stick to their roots, they believe and respect the 'powers that be'.. and that made want to fight for the head of their buddha statue which was stolen.. and so on.. =)

3. Musikero

Musikero Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I liked the Ring trilogy. You know, the original Japanese version of the Ring (and not the Hollywood version ). I especially liked Ring 0 because the actress playing Sadako was so beautiful I wanted to jump in the well and fuck her right there and then.;)

4. Pirate24

Pirate24 Banned

I like Bollywood films and alternative Indian films. A lot more emotions, laid back, and rich in colour.

Devdas, Sholay, Satya are just a few examples of good films.

5. squeaky.surrealist

squeaky.surrealist Member

bollywood has some of the most brilliant movies, theyre extremly colorful and so "bolly"wood....to name a few...'darna mana hai', 'chameli', 'jaane bhi do yaron', 'sholay', 'yuva' 'munnabhai!!' 'anjali' 'vastav'...absolutely brilliant!

6. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

I like anime, does that count?

I really wanna watch some Asian movies with real actors. There' s this movie called bishonen( pretty boys) which is Japanese. It's a romance about two gay guys (good looking too.), I really wanna watch that.(ROMANCE not...uhh that other stuff ^^;;). I'm gonna check out your links.

7. vanilla

vanilla Member

Hey~

There's a Chinese one on gay men too..
    Hmm... what's it call? I'd have to ask my gay friend. He watched it twice I think..

8. travelau

travelau Member

9. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

Wait, soory, correction! :&

Bishounen WAS Chinese, so that's probably it! :eek: (don"t let the name trick ya...:& )

10. velvet

velvet Banned

I just saw 'house of the flying daggers'.. totally beautiful! Anyone else seen it?

11. Fooja

Fooja Member

I LOVE asian movies. Mostly I like how there isnt a lot of censorship which adds to the impact or effect of the overall film. Also I am a very hard-core anime fan.

I tend to go for the more extreme or horror/mystery side of Japanese films.

My recomendations would be

+ Battle Royale
    + Blue Spring
    + The ORIGINAL JU-ON movie!!!!! NOT Ju-On:The Grudge(the one released in 2003)... the original one released in 2000 was MUCH better
    + Cure
    + The Eye (not from Japan, but still VERY good)
    + Ringu
    + Suicide Circle (AKA: Suicide Club)
    + Uzumaki

and there are still a few I have yet to obtain like Ichi The Killer.

12. velvet

velvet Banned

I'm can't wait untill I've got a new tv that allows me to plug in my dvd player, so I can finally watch other (asian) movies.. *sigh*.. there is this great dvd/video store here that has a very large cinematic section.. they have different area's for 'martial arts', 'animation', 'japanese', 'asian general'... *sigh*... ah well.. soon.. soon :)

13. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Recently I've seen 'When the last word is Drawn' which is a japanese film and is excellent! I want to see 'House of The Flying Daggers' aswell, I love all the Legend of Fong Sai Yuk films aswell and 'Crounching Tiger Hidden Dragon' was pretty cool aswell.

14. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

I hope you are able to obtain a copy of Ichi the Killer! It is one of my favorites. I cannot seem to get my hands on Battle Royale, Suicide Club, or Visitor Q.

I would like to add Audition to that list

15. JimiWhizZ

JimiWhizZ Member

Hey! battle royal is my favorite asian film ever. I havn't seen Ichi the killer either but i've heard iits a brilliant piece of work.

16. sintal

sintal Member

my favorite "asian" movies - chungking express and in the mood for love

its by the same director.

both are extremely beautiful

17. jazzygypsy

jazzygypsy Member

Let's see the movies that i've been getting a kick out of lately are as follows:

Taegukgi: Korean Film about the korean war
    Go: japanese/korean venture dealing a korean who lives in japan
    Musa the warrior: pretty freaking cool
    My sassy girl: nice romantic comedy
    Ran: a classic
    7 Samurai: yet another classic
    Warriors of heaven and earth: a chinese western
    Beijing Bicycle: "the bicylce thief" redux
    Hero and house of flying daggers: Zhang yimaou s.p. cinematography is simply amazing

well those are just a couple of movies that i liked

18. velvet

velvet Banned

Finally saw Battle Royal yesterday... thanks to MTV of all networks.. hehe.. they have this 'asian screen' thing going on here, where they broadcast asian movies once a week.

Pretty impressive movie, in a weird kinda way.. liked it a lot

19. Tembeler

Tembeler Member

heyy

i watched an assian film yesterday..
    film's name is "my sassy girl"
    realy that was perfect film...a south korean film

[​IMG]

20. yellowfever7688

yellowfever7688 Member

i really like any movie with Ziyi Zhang.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    House of Flying Daggers
    Hero
    The Road Home
    and more recently-Memoirs of a Geisha