Help(Planning a USA road trip)

Discussion in 'Travel Talk' started by hippyman, Feb 8, 2007.

1. hippyman

hippyman Member

Has anyone ever done this before? If so, what is the best vehicle to drive it in? I figure it will need to be 4wd.

2. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

I would think that room to sleep would be more important than 4-wheel drive. I'd go with a van myself.

3. hippyman

hippyman Member

Well, considering that we will be sleeping in motel rooms for various health reasons, 4wd would be more important.

4. Peterness

Peterness Member

5. hippyman

hippyman Member

I think we're gonna need somthing with a little more room than that. How much interior room does a dodge caliber have?

6. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

Is a dodge caliber 4WD? If you insist on 4WD I would go with a Suburu or toyota highlander.

7. hippyman

hippyman Member

I only insist on 4wd, because of the mountain roads.

8. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

What time of year are you going to travel. You only need 4WD from Nov-March. Let's get more specific here; are you going to be buying a car for this trip? What year? GHow much do you have to spend? If you can answer these questions I can help out for sure. I enjoy this kind of research. :)

9. hippyman

hippyman Member

Well probably go in the summer, but I cant be sure. We're also planning on using this vehicle to go on trips through the rockys.

10. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

Durango, 4-runner, Cherokee.

11. Medici999

Medici999 Member

I'd say go on foot man! It ain't as rough as it sounds after the first week or so...

12. hippyman

hippyman Member

Hey, I forgot about this thread; things got busy, life got ahead of itself and whatnot. Anyway, I think I've narrowed down a vehicle, and it only took me 6 years, lol. I recently came into a '95 regency conversion van, and now I even have a travel partner. Currently planning a trip to Alaska, if ya'll have any tips.