J-Shroom's Karo Tek

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms' started by iduncan, Dec 26, 2006.

1. iduncan

iduncan Member

Supplies & Tools Needed :

- 1 SMALL ZIPLOC TWIST 'N LOC CONTAINER
    - 2-3CC'S OF SPORE SOLUTION
    - PRESSURE COOKER
    - 5/16TH INCH DRILL BIT
    - LIGHT KARO SYRUP
    - 2 FOAM EARPLUGS
    - A DRILL
    - WATER

Drill 2 holes into the lid of the ziploc container, using great care as the plastic is quite fragile.

Take the two foam plugs.

Insert a foam earplug halfway into each hole, like so.

Add 1 & 1/3 cups of water to the container.

Then add 3-4 Teaspoons of light karo syrup to the water and stir until mixed very well.

Pressure cook for 15 minutes @ 5-10 psi, plus cooling time (couple hours).

Once the karo solution reaches room temperature it is safe to innoculate with the strain of your choice.

Sterilize the innoculation site with a cotton ball soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol & sterilze the syringe tip with a separate cotton ball soaked in alcohol.

Push the syringe tip dead center into the top of the foam plug until you see the tip inside the container. Once you do, inject 2-3 cc's of spore solution and quickly withdraw the syringe and set it aside.

Incubate at 86 degrees, optimally there should be signs of mycelial growth in 3-7 days. Shortly there after, you should have a nice sized healthy mass of mycelium in the jar.

When you want to use the karo solution, shake the jar vigorously until the mycelium breaks up into little bits. Sterilize the foam plug & the syringe tip with a good swabbing of rubbing alcohol before you insert the syringe.

Do not shake the solution until you are ready to break up the mycelium
    & draw it up into syringes.

*additional information*

- microwave sterilization is possible, duration would vary with each microwave
    - pint & quart canning jars can be used in place of the ziploc container
    - i have more additional information but i'm scratching my head at the moment, i'll edit and update this in the afternoon.

2. MeatWagon499

MeatWagon499 Senior Member

dont use karo it sucks ass use all natural Honey its the best liquid culture medium i've experienced.

3. Grapefruity

Grapefruity Sunny Side Up

lol i think i will listen to this man