Get me outta my hoodie

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by lynsey, Dec 2, 2006.

1. lynsey

lynsey Banned

and trainers please. I'm in a phase where I don't wanna dress up in the slightest or show what my momma gave me. It's not low self-esteem just pure laziness and not having to...I caught myself biting my nails for christ sakes on numerous occasions lately I need an intervention. Help me, please...I even have been putting baby powder in my hair to get away with putting off washing and straightening it.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

nothing wrong with hoodies or taking a break from always putting it out there, but not wanting to wash ... got some upheaval in the real world life?
    Any depression?

On cold days the LAST thing I want to do is shower (the bathroom is 55 degrees, tops) but I force myself to do it, and I'll wash my hair in the kitchen sink if it gets too cold in the bathroom.
    since i loathe my trainers (for the gym..they don't get sport sandals), I cannot imagine voluntarily wearing them! so, no judgement on you for that.

how long is your hair? Can you just braid it (straighteners are rough on hair, btw)

3. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I shower or take a bath in the late afternoon and the morning. I just clip all my hair up.

My hair is only maybe a little longer than shoulder length but it is so crazy wavey and the cut I got is really rigid and kinda off the wall layers, where it's longer in the front than in the back with side bangs so it looks really bad if it's not dead straight. I'm getting my layers cut off when i grow it out long enough to so I don't have to straighten it. It takes me a good two hours...I am sick of it.
    I'm not depressed at all, but I got laid off a few months ago so I am not working, just going to school and everyday I'm like hmmmm cargo pants or jeans...csusm hoodie or usc hoodie...flip flops or running shoes.
    I can't go anywhere because I am taking this fast paced 5 unit course and I have several hours of homework a night and spend all weekend doing homework...I'm burnt.
    But regardless I should care enough about myself to look nice and make an effort to be somewhat attractive. I avoid going out because I just don't wanna dress up.
    I am wondering if it might be the cold? A skirt and a tank top is easy but getting dressed up in the winter is soooo hard. My friends are coming up from schoool in 2 weeks and I really gotta get out of this habit by then.

I want my 90 degree weather back not this raining and freezing then santa anas and all the snow in the mountains melt so you don't even get the benefit of the coldness.

My eyes look freakishly huge when my hair is in a braid ): I always wear my hair down or else I look like I'm on crack and suprised....maybe this is an exageration...but you know what I mean.

Maybe I'm depressed I am coming off of a lot of medication because I had a little melt down when I got laid off. I think that could be it...just harder to admit to than being lazy...

4. indian~summer

indian~summer yo ho & a bottle of yum

no one can tell you to make an effort, it's all up to you...i'm sure it's just something that you're going through right now and you'll find that you'll want to dress up later on
    i've been where you are, but sometimes i'll get up and want to do something different
    don't worry about it hun, being lazy is alright i mean you lost your job and are working hard with school it's not a big deal that you want to relax with your image right now
    making a thread like this is a good start, you want to change so now it's up to you to change :)
    and i have a simular hair problem it's such a bitch :D

5. lynsey

lynsey Banned

Admitting I have a problem is like the first step? d:
    Argh I know it's just sooooo agravating. I've given myself until the end of this class (dec 18th) to be a lazy girl if it goes on beyond that I will need an intervention.

6. Magical Fire Lady

Magical Fire Lady Senior Member

I think a lot of girls go through phases like this sometimes.. I mean it gets tiring having to show your stuff ALL the time hehe. I do it occasionally too. I love cute clothes though, right now my problem is my hair.. I'm just gonna get a cute haircut. Go shopping or get a haircut or something and maybe you'll feel motivated to strut it.
    But really its okay, you don't need to get dolled up all the time, its almost winter.. its okay to be cozy. :)

7. lynsey

lynsey Banned

My mom made an appoitment with the colorist for me next week...she says the problem is that I'm not blonde anymore hahaaaaa...I think maybe this is true and I'm excited to go back. I just got my haircut a couple weeks ago...and I don't like shopping for myself around christmas it feels a little wrong...even though it would be fun...
    What kinda haircut are you going to get?

8. drumminmama

sounds like you haven't had enough sun, and that equals winter blues!
    get a couple great sweaters/ warmer dress up clothes during the after holiday sales.
    Sounds like you just need some easy looking-good clothes for cool weather.
    Where in Cali are ya? Southern, Bay Area, Northern or inland?
    Can you get out to a sunny area for a day or two after classes end for winter break?

9. pixierose

pixierose Member

buy something new, make sure it's pretty and something you really like...like a really nice top. then you'll feel more inclined to make the rest of your outfit dressy :)

and perhaps the next day, you'll be like, "i want to do that again" and you'll pick another nice outfit out.

just find something that motivates you!

10. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I'm in San Diego. We've been getting santa anas and really strong winds. Today I noticed other people have been feeling down too and really tired. I feel like I could have just slept all weekend long. I am so tired right now and I got up so late.
    I think I'll feel better after I get highlites on friday and actually like looking at my hair again...I can't stand it now.
    Your pictures look like they are from inland CA?

11. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Yep. I was thinking SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) too. Even if you live in a sunny place the AMOUNT of sunshine this time of year is getting less and less (Until Solstice on Dec 21, then it starts to increase, but I don't notice a difference until March is over) so you might want to get some help. It sucks to be depressed.

12. drumminmama

yep, Altamont pass. My brother is in Dublin & I have plenty of Marin and Richmond friends.

13. lynsey

lynsey Banned

Very cool!

I love Marin

14. lynsey

lynsey Banned

erghhhh i was hoping it wasn't depression but I am lethargic and icky feeling.

Everything hurts too. I just got my eyebrows waxed and it felt like the most painful thing ever.
    My psychiatrist thinks that it's my body still recovering from mono and whenever the weather/air is unhealthy I feel this way. I don't let him medicate me as much as he wants to...he is sooooo heavy on the meds that before I went off some of them I felt like I couldn't drive...sure I was happy but I was stoned off my ass all the time.

15. dances in pajamas

dances in pajamas strange little girl

This style is called my everyday look. Except with Birkenstocks.

16. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

It sounds like some sort of depression to me, Im like you Lyns, very particular with my appearence and like to have perfect hair, make up and clothes on... when I get in the kind of mood where I just don't care I know that something is wrong. By this I'm not saying that you should'nt relax about your apperance... thats cool, but from reading your posts on the forums I know that you normally like to look your best, so not caring could be a sign not all is well. I usually take about 2 hours to get ready too. :p

17. lynsey

lynsey Banned

hahaaa love it. I've coined my new non-working look 'keepin it reals'

18. lynsey

lynsey Banned

Thank you. I feel like you really understand.

Yeah it's really strange. i don't know why i don't care. I mean it's not like I am not clean I just haven't looked like anything special lately...I put my make-up on in traffic, don't steam anything I wear-even if i'm going out.
    When I got my eyebrows done today the waxist told me she hadn't seen me in awhile and they thought I was not happy with something they did. Afterwards she tried to convince me to get a pedicure and I just didn't care enough to.
    I think I feel scratched for time too. I used to work from home most of the time and now I have to go to class for 4 hours a day an hour away, where everyone's in sweats and it's so different from my main school where no one is ever casual.
    When you get depressed do you let things slip? I did lose my job recently. I don't think I let myself become emotional or negative over it and now it's manifesting this way.

19. drumminmama

lyndsey, does it fell like a oh-screw-it-who cares-anyway syndrome?
    I've battled with depression all my life (sucidal three year olds are a joy) and while I KNOW the source (he has a name, the molesting ass) I still deal with the feelings that I have to put SO much effort forth for what looks like not as much at the end of the day.
    get over, really over the mono and adjusting to the new schedule and see if things don't start shaking out right.
    At that point, look into some counseling at school, eating and sleeping well and exercise to help all the chemicals in your brain to stabilize.

20. lynsey

lynsey Banned

that made a lot fo sense and I think you were right.

I refilled my perscription for celexa (I had stopped taking it a few weeks ago) and my throat is no longer hurting, I am energetic and happy, ate a decent amount for dinner and feel so much better just within several hours of taking it.
    I just have to come to terms with the fact that I had a lot go on in my life and I may have to be on medication my whole life and that it does not make me weak in anyway. It is selfish to not take it because I make everyone around me miserable and feel like esacping everything. I just hate the stigma blahhhhhh
    The weather is supossed to start getting some humidity tommorow too, which will make it decent enough to want to go running again...I haven't been in awhile.