My acoustic guitar broke

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by MichaelByrd1967, Aug 1, 2004.

1. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

It was the vintage Ovation Acoustic. The bridge was tearing off of the body for years, but it finally kicked the bucket a few days ago. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a new one soon. But, I don't know if I can replace the sweet tone that I got from the Ovation.

2. John221

John221 Senior Member

Can't you get your Ovation fixed? Surely you can get a new bridge fitted, or would it cost too much?

3. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

Most of the wood underneath the bridge came off with it. If I could fix it, it would cost a lot more than buying a new one.

4. lakeoffire

lakeoffire Live.Laugh.Fuck.

Im so sorry for your loss :( I know how traumatic something like that can be
    Just playin
    but still im sorry to hear that cuz it sucks
    keep on rockin!

5. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

oh man im sorry. my acoustic guitar is a piece of shit, but i cant afford a new one yet, seeing as i dont have a job lol. well, i hope you can find a new ovation. i know how it sucks to lose your acoustic.

6. flowerchild17

flowerchild17 I practice safe sax.

awwwwwww! *hugs* poor guy :( keep the pieces though, you'll have something to remember that beauitful guitar by at least :)

7. Seven

Seven Member

Aww... very sorry to hear that dude. Yes you're right... it probably would cost a couple hundred bucks to get that fixed. But you could always fix it yourself. It's easy. Go to Luthier Merchantile Int. Inc.:

www.lmii.com

Then look up the section on clamps > the Fox Bridge clamp. $22.75. Then look under the adheasives > for what they call Instrument Makers Glue. $7.50. (or Hide Glue... mix it yourself, $8.50lb.) This is exactly how a luthier would fix your guitar if you took it somewhere. Surely the guitar is worth $30 to repair. And there's no special wizardry involved, it's a pretty straight forward deal.
    Since it's (hopefully!) a one time use... after you're done put the clamp and glue up for auction on flea-bay or something for $20 and you'll have your repair cheaper yet.

I have an anniversary edition Alvarez Yairi steel string that over the years the bridge was lifting in the back (my first guitar actually). I took it somewhere to get fixed because I was clueless at the time... didn't know of any sources for luthier supplies. This was pre-internet of course. Yah, that cost me a pretty penny... but now I know just exactly how easy/cheap it was to fix! The bridge was ebony and a little bit twisted... but now it's fine, sounds great and you'd never know. Using the right kind of glue is extremely important though and the proper clamp helps immensely (t
    he clamp uses the string holes to run the tightening screws through). So Elmers Glue and a C-clamp is not going to cut it!

Mind you... the longer you wait the tougher time you'll have getting a good fit between the two as dirt and gunk can get in there and over time the woods will swell/shrink at slightly different rates. But you can't just throw your Ovation away... right? The thing may not ever be quite 100% the same afterwards but on the other hand you might be surprised. The bridge was glued on there to begin with, right?

If you're not into the fix hell I'll pay the cost of shipping to take that broke Ovation off your hands.
    *he-he* But you don't want that... there's something to be said for sentimental value after all. Hope this helps. ~Seven