99% Isopropanol Alcohol -> Drinkable?

Discussion in 'Potent Potables' started by Twizz, Nov 3, 2006.

1. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

holy shit, now THAT is poor.

2. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

its like smoking grass to get high because its a 'plant' and cannabis is also a 'plant'

there is only one sort of alcohol that will get you drunk if you drink it - ethanol

there is a near infinite set of possible chemicals called 'alcohol'

3. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

this kid probably also drinks the methanol in the chem lab.

4. Trippin' Billies

Trippin' Billies Senior Member

haha...

jesus... drinking rubbing alcohol... wut will they come up with next?

5. nesta

nesta Banned

no, you didn't ACQUIRE 100% pure ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or it WOULD have been safe to drink. ethanol is exactly the same type of alcohol found in beer, wine, whisky, liqueurs, rum, vodka, tequila, and so on....only its 100% ABV rather than 5%, 10%, 15%, 35%, 40%, etc......

mixed in drinkable juice it would be perfectly fine. well, that is, as fine as any other booze. still not GOOD for you.

if it made you violently ill you either drank too much (which is your fault and doesnt mean its not consumable) or it wasn't actually 100% ethanol and was either denatured (very likely, possibly from a schools chemistry lab), or isopropanol (rubbing alcohol, also likely) or methanol (wood alcohol, like rubbing alcohol this is poisonous)

but since you were 14 i think its probably more likely you got something other than pure ethanol (which is essentially the same as really high quality moonshine and perfectly drinkable if mixed with the right things)

6. Eeso

Eeso Member

Isopropanol is metabolized to acetone in the body - no shit.

7. cricketlind

cricketlind Member

I totally agree. I used to work at a homeless shelter and I know of many who drank "rub-a-dub" on a regular basis as well as "listo" or "lavacol". Rub-a-dub is isopropyl mixed with soda or water and listo and lavacol is mouthwash mixed with the same. It will get you high but it will also get you dead. Or worse fucked up health so bad you pray for death. My dear street brother died from a screwed up liver due to it all. He died a horrible slow lingering death and even though he came to his senses and stopped after he got real sick, it was too late. In "normal" cirrohisis of the liver if you stop drinking at the stage he was at the liver could recover somewhat. But other alcohols that are not ethanol do Permanent damage. That damage can be fatal. I know others who do pour it through the loaf of bread thing and they still get the damage. The bread is supposed to filter out the "bad" stuff. It is still Toxic. If you wanna cheap drink. Get some juice and some sugar and a little yeast. Wine yeast is best but bread yeast will work. Mix the juice and sugar with a little water and add a few granules of the yeast and let it ferment in a Pot like an old canning kettle or such that can be vented but not let dirt and stuff in there. In about a week to 10 days if there is enough sugar in there you should have potent enough wine to get you as drunk as you want. If you don't add enough fruit or sweetening you just get fizzy soda pop or if you let it set too long it turns into vinegar. Cranberry and apple juice make a very fine wine when mixed together. I just like having a glass occasionally to chill out and unwind when I am overly stressed. Once it is done fermenting strain it into empty two liter soda bottles and put in the fridge to chill. Simple and easy and I buy the juice on my stamps. You can also just cover the fermenting pot with a clean cloth and let wild yeast invade it and it will ferment. But you may get other organisms too that will spoil it. A old homeless vet in Florida "Bushman" taught me how to brew up wine. He makes some kick ass brew. He brews it in a five gallon bucket he dumpster dived and cleaned up and hangs it up in a pine tree to ferment it. Once it is done it tastes like punch flavor kool-aid and it packs a punch.

Peace and love, cricketlind

Drink responsibly if you are gonna drink at all. Otherwise leave it be. It ain't worth a headache or other consequences of stupidity. Nothing is worth that.

8. Colimon

Colimon Cheesus Christo

Might as well call the ambulence already...

9. INSANEPOOKIE

INSANEPOOKIE Prancing Dragon

Alcohol is one of the worst substances to consume.

10. danana1026

danana1026 Member

My best friend [17 y/o] was admitted into the hospital this morning for ingesting isopropyl rubbing alcohol. so i went online to see why people drink it.

what YOU really need to know is that they had to pump his stomach. he's conscious now but his speech is slurred like crazy to the point that only his sister can understand him.

he's been throwing up blood because of the effects rubbing alcohol has on your digestive organs.

rubbing alcohol has an added chemical that makes it TOXIC.
    it can kill you.
    my friend is lucky he survived.

so do yourself a favor and don't drink it. there's plently of creepy old people that will buy you alcohol from a liquor store.

11. danana1026

danana1026 Member

i realize this thread is from a few years ago, but i hope anyone who researches rubbing alcohol in the future with intent of drinking it will learn from my friend's mistake. it's just a crazy bad idea.

12. Pengilum

Pengilum Member

you will get horrible gas.

13. infested_sinner

infested_sinner Member

rofl

14. Faaroutman

Faaroutman Member

Soaringeagle is just emphatically trying to tell you that it is seriously baaad shit, and DONT touch it, it is not for drinking. You should have just thanked him for the advice and chucked it away. I even heard that it is bad for it to come in contact with skin never mind drinking it.

15. Geneity

Geneity self-proclaimed advocate

Isopropanol is metabolized into acetone by the liver. So if you want to drink it just skip that step and drink acetone. It'll make you really sick or kill you.

Ethanol is converted into fun things (as well as toxins) by the liver, not acetone.

16. akuroiwa

akuroiwa Guest

17. Geneity

Geneity self-proclaimed advocate

lol 6 month old thread......

18. DerrtyJake

DerrtyJake Member

I was using a pesticide with isopropyl alcohol in it just the other day. I accidently inhaled it and my nostrils burnt for hours. Now i have a soar throat and a stuffy/runny nose.

STAY AWAY FROM THAT STUFF MAN!!!

19. blitz7341

blitz7341 Banned

Do Not Drink Isopropyl Alcohol. There Is A Good Chance You Will Die Or End Up With Drain Damage.

20. RollAnotherDrewbie

RollAnotherDrewbie Member

dont do it. that would be one of the worst things to drink. you might as well drink cleaner under your sink. if you want to get drunk, drink alcohol thats meant to drink