99% Isopropanol Alcohol -> Drinkable?

Discussion in 'Potent Potables' started by Twizz, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Twizz

Twizz Drug Conoisseur

I was researching Everclear and have found it much too hard to purchase.

So I researched the ingredients being ethanol.

Then I researched 99% Isopropanol Alcohol and found that it is only 1% water and 99% alcohol. I was wondering if I diluted it properly, would it become drinkable?

Also, I couldnt find anywhere i looked that 99% isopropanol has any poisonous byproducts, but I could be wrong. I'm like 80% sure of this.

NEED TO KNOW QUICKLY

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

what would u want to do such a dumb thing for?
    alcahol, all alcahol, is esentialy a poision
    theres safe levels of piosion yes but your asking if nearly pure piosion is piosionose

why do you need toknow in a hurry..did someone drink some and if so, how much?

3. Twizz

Twizz Drug Conoisseur

I'm asking...

If I buy the 99% isopropanol alcohol from the drug store, can I dilute it a lot and drink it like vodka? Or would it just poison you even when it's diluted?

4. soaringeagle

stupid thing to do
    tried it once

very last time i ever drank
    was a copmpletely horrible experience and the reason i never drank again

5. soaringeagle

it is not safe to do..it says right on the bottle not for internal use..if accidently ingested contact the piosion control center

6. polymer

polymer Senior Member

isopropanol isn't a substrate your liver enzymes will recognize.

leave it for mosquito bites, or fever relief (like the old school remedy), and get someone older to buy you beer if you're desperate.

better yet, take some chemistry and biology classes, and do plenty of reading, before you experiment..just some advice from someone who's done his share of dumb sh1t

7. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

Just eat a tube of toothpaste instead, it's just about as dumb.

8. polymer

polymer Senior Member

heh, and I just got a fifth of Everclear a couple hours ago.

very useful for extractions and tinctures

9. soaringeagle

rbbin etoh willsendU into acomma 4 2-3 days!! Would be foolish 2 try jist to get high
    sorry that was a nurse freind and he wa havin alot more troble with my keyboard then i do...all the letters are blank...& space is screwed...and alotta the shift keys are mismatched..its crazy
    anyway....
    u dont wanna risk your life do you?

10. Grapefruity

Grapefruity Sunny Side Up

It isnt ethanol, which you can drink

Its isopropyl alcohol...Your askin us if ya can drink rubbing alcohol.

Well, no, its poisonous.

11. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol. It is a different chemical then the drinking type of alcohol, which is ethyl alcohol. It will make you sick (or worse) if you drink it.

12. soaringeagle

sick? try comotose.. touch & go lucky if you survive..possibly lifelong liver probs..18,000 hospitol bill..wake up with tubes down your throught...

all cause u want to get drunk?

getting drunk is dumb enough
    geez

13. Twizz

Twizz Drug Conoisseur

I was just thinking it might be a quick and easy and safe way to go, didnt know of any dangers... SO fuck you eagle. Seriously, your whining is pissing me off.

14. polymer

polymer Senior Member

you did the right thing by asking, but always thoroughly research anything you want to try... or you'll be sorry you didn't.

if there's ANY doubt, don't do it.

15. soaringeagle

how is saying please dont kill yourself whinning?
    im being honnest and tryin to keep ya from piosioning yourself
    so..thanx and fuck you too :) *

*notice the smile? meant no harm in trying to help you, or in the freindly lil fick you
    sometimes ya need harsh truth..if your concidering rubbing alcahol or other deadly substances to get u high

16. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

I believe he is reffering to your last sentence in post #12. "Getting drunk is dumb enough" or something like that.

17. ConRev

ConRev Member

What you do, is pour it through a loaf of bread, then drink it. Old army trick.

Or just do what soaringeagle says, and forget you ever asked such a question.

18. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

Come on dude, put down that joint. It says right on the bottle it's a poison and if ingested you have to call the poison control center.

Does a bottle of rum say that? No. Because it's not a poison in the sense that iso rubbing alcohol is.

19. Cuey

Cuey Member

dude listen, back when i was 14, me and a friend "accuired" some 100% alcohol or ethenol. At the time we didn't know that it wasn't safe to drink and mixed in some blackcurrent juice and drank it. We only had a very small amount but it made both of us violently ill and we were lucky we didn't do any permanent damage. It ISN'T safe to drink so stick to absinthe or ouzo!

20. USA in decline

USA in decline Member

The Denatured Alcohol Mandate
    The United Russia deputies brought in Wednesday a bill made out to reduce intoxication by alcohol surrogate. The bill commits makers of methyl and isopropyl alcohol generally used for surrogate to denature the product by adding, for example, gasoline to it. The purpose to attain is to end the era of drinking cleansers, which may yield up to 5 billion rubles to strong drink producers.
    It was a group of United Russia deputies that brought in to the State Duma amendments to the Act of State Control of Alcohol Production and Sales. The essence of the bill is to oblige makers of methyl and isopropyl alcohol to add components that may “scare the people attempting to drink it, for instance, the gasoline or kerosene,” explained Pavel Shapkin from Economy Policy Committee of the State Duma.

Actually, the methyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol are being denatured now, Shapkin said. But they use diethyl phthalate, which has neither taste nor smell. “So for many years, our citizens are drinking fluid for making a fire.”

One of the bill’s masterminds, Valery Draganov, said legislators started thinking of mandatory denaturing “after mass poisoning by surrogate in some regions of Russia.” From mid.-1980s, some Russians are drinking bath cleansers, fluid for unfreezing the locks and antiseptics as a substitute for vodka, which they cannot afford