What do you think about Italy?

Discussion in 'Italy' started by dreamingwight, Oct 30, 2006.

1. dreamingwight

dreamingwight Member

What do you think about Italy? Someone think that is fantastic, and someone other think that is a motherfucking mafia country.

Sorry for my horrible english.

2. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

Venice.

I saw the Realto bridge, the San marco square, Canaregio and Dodecca island. Also went to Archies Rooms.

I was staying in Treviso because all the fucking hotels were booked in Venice itself. Damn looks beautiful when going along the causeway by car/bus or train.
    One thing I don't understand is why you can't get a coffee with milk as easily as say Turkiye where you would say Biere Nescafe lutfen.

I mean Italy has all these coffees, but not one is simply coffee with milk. But anyway, Treviso old Town part was interesting.
    Currency is Euro and one thing I will always remember, is Venice.

3. Gerva

Gerva Member

you should ask for
    caffe macchiato....or latte macchiato,,,

4. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

Never been and it's not somewhere that I would like to go.... I'd rather see Greece.

5. amourcathy

amourcathy Member

Italy used to be my favorite country for i like roman History .. But i heard that Italy is very strick Catholic country .. i do have some Italian friends ..i think the Italian guys are too romantic liek the french ..they easily say ' ti amo ' whihc i am very doubt of its real meaning inside .. maybe thats their style.. But i like Italy for its History and paitinngs .. Wish one day i would have the chance to visit Italy .

6. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

I've been to Venice which is very nice. I'd like to go and visit Firenze and the Mezzogiorno aswell someday.

7. veroness

veroness There's only one :)

its awesome you should go see it if you ever have the chance. i was born there and i regret everyday not going back. when my grandpa died two years ago in feb, he left me one of his apartments there. even if you heard bad things about it, you should still check it out.

8. Bonzai Prime

Bonzai Prime Member

This past summer two friends and I took a trip all over Europe. Italy was my favorite country. Florence and Rome were the highlights of the trip. We were kind of roughing it, but it was still worth the trip. We also went through Pisa and Siena; those two days would have been better spent in Rome or Florence. I thought Pisa was worthless. Overall it was fantastic. Anyone who gets a chance should definitely try to make a trip.

9. lakshen

lakshen Forn SiĆ°r

Why're you so uptight?

I think Italy is a great country I like it's cities and admire it's history... But I know it's mafia infested... But lots of countries are

10. evsride

evsride are you irie?

the Bush crime family and cronies are one of the biggest mafias in the world.....Anyway, Italia was cool...besides it being a little trash infested and stinking at times. the Vatican City was so decadent, I can't believe Catholicism and its level of hypocrisy, Im sure Christ wouldn't approve. Anyway, before you all flame me, I should say that I am tolerant of everyone's religion and dont believe any one is perfectly "just" or "right", just had to vent. Go to Switzerland!! they speak German and Italian, plus its BEAUTIFUL there.

11. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

I'm going to have to agree with you evsride. Man has long thought that God would appreciate opulence in His name. Even today Televangelists in these huge mega-churches make 6 figures, cashing in on the hope of the underclass. I believe in God, but I don't believe in Religion. Man wrote the bible, and the Koran, and the Torah, etc.

Anyways, this is a forum about Italy, not religion. But I just wanted you to know that at least one person agrees with you.

That said I love Italy. I love the vatican and I love all the old roman ruins. I love the food, I love the beer, and I love the people. Though I have been told that Napoli should be avoided. I am going to Italy (Venice) for the sixth time next march. I've been to Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice, Courmayeur and the alps, Rome (twice) and Pompeii. I would love to go to some of the small towns, like Siena and Bologna. That is why on my last trip I went to Cinque Terre, though I couldn't afford to travel the countryside more extensively, I really loved the small Italian towns. I'll get back there.

There is so much history in Italy, it really is fabulous. Though you should watch your money. The first time I was there walking with my friend by the colloseum and these gypsies walked up. I was young and naive at the time, this was 10 years ago, and didn't realize what was going on. The older lady walked up with two fingers together and I think she was saying "Fumatori, fumatori papi?" like she was asking for a cigarette. In a second I realized what was going on, and I drew my arm back and thrust at them. I didn't hit them, but I pushed the old lady to the ground. I began yelling in Spanish, cursing them out. Yelling "No, you thieving whores. Don't touch me. Get the fuck out of here." I don't know if they understood what I was saying (Spanish is very similar to Italian.) but they definately got the message. They jumped up and ran away. I went and caught up with my buddy, he said the younger girl moved behind me and he saw her hand investigate the contents of my back pocket. Surely she was disappointed to have found only a map and an span/ital dictionary, because my wallet was in my front pocket. When I turned back around the girls were already back at work hitting up some Asian (Japanese?) tourists. I wanted to do something, but my buddy said better to not get invovled.
    At the time I was living in Madrid, and was just visiting Italy during a break from school. Everyone always warned us about the pickpockets in Madrid, as well as the drivers. However, both we much worse in Italy. I believe the problem is really only in the South, though. Two other of my friends got attacked by pickpockets in the 4 days we were there. One foiled the attempt, like I did, one lost several hundred thousand lire. Not good. Definatly don't try to drive in Rome, but do go.

12. camelia

camelia Member

Hi, I live in Parma! Have you ever been here?

13. janis89

janis89 Member

Hi Camelia!I've never been there...But..Come in the Italian Forum to visit us!!!Welcome there ;)

14. Laura-the-flowergirl

Laura-the-flowergirl Long haired child

I've been to Italy many times and I'm very positive about it. The cities and villages have such a special atmosphere, the nature is beautiful, the people are very friendly (even though the guys tend to be a little TOO fond of girls :p)...

And about the maffia thing...I'm not saying that all those things are lies, but it's stupid to write down a country just on that...I mean, there's something negative to say on each country...I prefer to focus on the good things in life. If I wouldn't do that, everything would be way too despressing.

15. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

i cant wait to see Italy!

16. HereIAm

HereIAm Member

Italy is a beautiful place. I lived there for 3 years and found it amazing.

17. chiarastellabella

chiarastellabella Member

Hi everybody!! my name is chiara , i'm 17 years old and i'm italian. I don't speak very well english, so sorry...i think that "Italy" as it the tourists mean is only a confused image of the truth. mafia here is localized and rare, they are only little cases in the south. italy is amazing and we are crazy and nice. not only pizza and mafia...

18. Ember_Italy

Ember_Italy Member

Hi I'm italian too!

Well I personally think that Italy is a great country... we're full of art (and we love art, and believe me this is cool), our food is probably the best in the world and almost every italian can cook, we have ancient cities everywhere and also the smallest of the villages is amazing, our universities are good, people is nice and funny, but it has some problems:

* politics
    * mafia
    * church
    * familism
    * not so civic minded
    * bad tv programs
    * we can't speak English also because our english teachers are italian
    * you study all your life and then you don't find a job, so people at the age of 40 is still at home with their parents

19. Miss_Tambourine_Girl

Miss_Tambourine_Girl Member

hahahah.. nice one mate!

20. *__flower__*

*__flower__* Member

Can I say my opinion even if actually I'm Italian?
    I simply love my country! I know it has got its problems, mafia, rubbish, politic, but what about art, cities and people?
    Yeah Italy is a Catholic country, maybe too strick about this, but you don't have to follow Catholics rules if you don't want... That ain't a problem.
    Really, if you come to Italy you should visit first of all Roma for its history, then Firenze, where you can find the Uffizi Museum (I've been there and it's awesome) and Napoli, maybe not in this period because of the rubbish, but I've been there some years ago and it's one of the most beautiful cities in the world.