Living entirely off carbs?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Sunburst, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Soo my friend and I were thinking, because we just moved out on our own for the first time and have been living off candy and pasta (with orange juice thrown in there in the morning and the occasional bowl of cereal or something), what would be the side effects of living *entirely* off grains for a week? No fruit, or meat, or dairy, just grains (bread, dry cereal, pasta). Aside from scurvy or osteoperosis, which would take a much longer time, what would happen to your body?

2. Magical Fire Lady

Magical Fire Lady Senior Member

I'm not sure, but I am in nutrition class.. Carbs ARE the most important thing to eat, and it is what you need the most of. If this is just short term, I suppose it would be okay but you should definitely go for some whole grains and not white. Long term is no good though but you seem to know that.

3. Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes Member

I agree. It's best to keep a well-balanced diet. The whole "Low Carb and No Carb" craze is just a big scam.

4. Magical Fire Lady

Magical Fire Lady Senior Member

Well she was talking about just eating carbs.
    But yeah eating no carbs or not enough is the stupidest thing you could do for your body.

5. Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes Member

Whoops, I misread it then.

6. supertramp

supertramp Member

Other than putting on some pounds,I don't think your hurting yourself, But do try an eat some fruits and veggies.The orange juice in the cereal is a great idea!

7. Low Dog

Low Dog Member

Just for one week? I wouldn't anticipate much of anything happening. Now, much longer than that... boy, a lot can happen.

8. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

okay...in foods class, we learned that a balanced diet should consist of about 55% carbs, 30% fats (poly and mono unsaturated fats are best) and 15% protein....but for a short period of time, i dont think it will make a big difference

9. TurquoiseRose

TurquoiseRose Member

Simple carbs are bad. (Why the low carb thing works for a while till you get back on evil white bread, etc.)

Whole wheat has antinutrients, so use in moderation.

The food pyramid is old & bullshit.

Fats are good for you (vegetable oil bad, e.v. olive oil good)
    Etc. etc.

Think about what you would do in nature. Would you eat shitloads of wheat & grains or more fruit, veggies, & meat on occasion??? Think about it. ;)

10. Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes Member

Very true about the food pyramid. According to something I once read, the Food Pyramid was developed by the Dairy Association or something like that to get people to eat more dairy. And it was originally made up of just four food groups.

1. Dairy
    2. Meats and Nuts
    3. Fruits and Vegetables
    4. Grains and Cereals