Barefoot in Gym/PE?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by david_pluto, Oct 9, 2006.

1. david_pluto

david_pluto Member

I was just wondering how many of you do (or did) gym or dance class in school barefoot. Do your feet get dirty? In my school it was a strict no-no but I used to do it anyway and enjoyed seeing how far I could take it. I was never punished but often reprimanded lol. I even convinced my friend to do it one time.

Scarecrow13 likes this.
  2. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

I had a female gym teacher back in the fifth grade who required anyone who did not have tennis shoes had to take the session barefoot. I had happen to leave mine in my locker on the first day of class. Nevertheless, I was too shy and would have been mortified to go barefoot in front of the others, especially the girls! Somehow I managed to get away with wearing street shoes that day.

When I think about it today, it would have been pretty neat to take gym class in my bare feet. Oh if I could only turn back time.

3. shirley

shirley Member

Ah playing indoor badminton barefoot is the best feeling, you just jump around and dance and feel all free as you are trying to hit the shuttlecock. well i do anyway..

4. david_pluto

david_pluto Member

That's very cool barefootboy. I thought only U.K schools had rules like that. I wish mine did! I too would 'forget' my shoes haha!

Shirley do they keep the floors clean in your school? My school floors were filthy (perhaps why shoes were required)

5. shirley

shirley Member

Hmm it was fairly clean, i still got dirty feet when i played, but it wasn't filthy no. But damn barefoot badminton is the best of all sports, simply because it is such a light sport anyway, if you get me.

6. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

I did PE barefoot. the coach always asked if I was "OK" the first few times and when he saw I was fine he stopped. He did ask for me to wear shoes when we played tennis, which I did, but for everything else I was barefoot. He was amazed I ran the track barefoot because the surface was that small rocky/pebbly stuff.. more like course grit.

Scarecrow13 likes this.
  7. NudistMike07

NudistMike07 Member

I think it should be the student's choice to do PE barefoot as long as they know going in that the teacher isnt gonna go easy on them just because theyre barefoot. If they understand that and wanna go barefoot and know the risks of doing it then yeah I think its cool.

Scarecrow13 likes this.
  8. Kees

Kees Member

What risks are you talking about? The only risks are caused by other students who are shod.
    Why do you think gymnastics are always performed barefoot even by professionals.
    Schools should forbid shoes at PE alltogether because than the floors in the gym will not get dirty so quickly and the feet will not smell afterwards or pick up fungus.
    Over here school PE has to be barefoot for the young children, 3 till 6 years.
    After that it is their own choise, which is strange in a way.

Greetings,

Kees

9. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

We weren't allowed to wear shoes indoors, outdoors officially we had to wear them but they weren't too strict, if we'd forgotten our gym shoes we had to go barefoot instead of in street shoes, and also when it was nice weather I think there were more of us barefoot outdoors. Can't recall for sure since I never really gave shoes or bare feet much thought as a teenager, apart from one time I recall because it was quite cold and I had indeed not taken any sport shoes with me, since I hadn't expected we'd go outside. The grass was a little cold but it wasn't too bad, I warmed up as soon as we were actually moving about, even though I wasn't used to barefooting back then.

10. ElChivato

ElChivato SeNioR MeMBeR

i've never gone barefoot in gym, but i usually go in just socks when we stay inside. i must say that i run better barefoot, but i wouldn't think it'd be very comfortable to run barefoot on the track outside, so i've never done that. i'm sure i could if i wanted to, but i'm not so sure that i want to. :)

11. shirley

shirley Member

well if you're talking about running, it's good to wear trainers for the ankle support. that's what we were always told anyway. but lighter sports are fine barefoot.

12. Kees

Kees Member

Just give it a try and you will know.

[​IMG]

My little girl

13. maria_s

maria_s Member

not sure what ElcHIVATO means as she says she wears socks (which is dangerous on a wooden floor) but then says she can run better barefoot. How do you know you run better barefoot if you wear socks. Why dont you just do PE barefoot like everyone else does.

14. hillman30

hillman30 Member

We also had a rule from like the 7th grade on that if you forgot sneaks you had to play in sox or barefoot. I always "forgot" mine too and chose barefoot. But you would get talked to after a month or so and had to wear sneaks for a while before you could "forget" them again.lol. One guy insisted he ran better barefoot in track and the teacher allowed him to. Of course I had to try that. Did some running and hurdles barefoot. Unfortunately, the floors in the gym weren't too dirty, but (yay) the locker room was. In changing to and from the class there was another guy with a foot fetish....he was immediately barefoot and waited till the last second to put sox and shoes on (so did I). One day he was showing me his hurdle style, practically sticking his really dirty feet in my face. Quick! Sit down and put towel on lap!

15. bfjohn

bfjohn Member

When i was at school (a long time ago!) barefeet were compulsory in p.e. lessons, as it was thought (correctly) to be good for the feet and legs. All we wore was a pair of white shorts. The floor was hard wood tiles.
    My niece left school a couple of years ago, and said it was still standard practice then.

16. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

This whole discussion of "Barefoot P.E." is intriguing. The only time I ever took P.E. was as a freshman at an all-boys Catholic high school. Discipline was a big deal, and something as radical as bare feet would not be tolerated in P.E. or at any other time! For that matter, we were required to wear coats, ties, dress slacks, socks, shoes (no sneakers), and there were restrictions on hair length/style, which was a big deal in the '70s when longer hair was the norm. :(

I ran track and cross country in high school. There were a few times when we were running laps in practice that the coach would look the other way if we ran barefoot. Eventually even that fell by the wayside as he noted bare feet were not consistent with actual race conditions.

17. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

You are very fortunate that this was your only time you took phys ed. Definately not my favorite subject. I had gym class each year and hated it until my sophmore year in high school. Coming from a person who was not the most athletic kid in school, it was a total waste of time in my opinion.

18. seohsreven

seohsreven Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Given that my high school education ended over 30 years ago, I'm uncertain of today's standards.

I do know, however, that physical education was the primary factor in my hatred of any kind of physical activity up until my twenties. Nothing like a sadistic coach cum drill sergeant screaming at you and telling you what a loser you are to boost your self-esteem. They really showed you how enjoyable it is to struggle on a hot track without hope of water while having an asthma attack and enduring the jeers of everyone else who finished ahead of you.

Fortunate for me, my hip friends in the 80s introduced me to the joys of mountain biking, kayaking and barefoot hiking with stops every hour or so to enjoy the scenery and light up.:sifone:

I often think of the football stars who made my life hell so long ago and visualize them with a big stomach, bald head, dead-end corporate job, smelly stiff shoes and shrew of a wife in the same rat hole town they grew up in and smile.:cool:

19. danmo

danmo Member

Don't believe everything you hear shirley!!! feet were made to be bare - trainers are baaaad for your feet! :D

20. dennpat

dennpat Member

No!!!! :eek: Barefoot is best. Check out this website:

http://runningbarefoot.org/