Moving to New Zealand, Need some Advice!

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by golfmontpoker, Oct 4, 2006.

1. golfmontpoker

golfmontpoker Member

Hey everyone, well met! I am currently a senior in college here in the USA. Personally, I am sick of this fucking country. School shootings, crack heads, a corrupt fucking government, ignorant ass people... This list could go on and on. Anyways, Where would be the best places to move for a newbie into the country? Auckland seems like it would be a start. Also, how are the women down there? Women here in the US are stuck up and think they diserve everything in the world handed to them, cant stand it no longer!

Also what about careers? How is the healthcare business? I would definately get an advanced degree before coming down, any reccomendations? Anyways, thanks for the help/ideas/advice everyone!

2. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

If you're a doctor or something than NZ will probably love you. We have a shortage of GPs.

Here isn't really the best place to get information on careers etc as most of us who are here regularly are college students as well... check out other posts with similar titles as there are more helpful websites in them which could tell you what you need to know.

And we have ignorant ass people here too... but you might find them "charming" and "rustic" cos you're not a native... :p

3. JadistheTreeHugger

JadistheTreeHugger Member

Oh thanks! haha Maybe the only women in the US that are stuck up are the ones that plan on staying here, I hope so anyways. I plan on moving to New Zealand too. I'm probably going to live in the mountains somewhere, they're so beautiful. Couldn't agree with you more on the US by the way...

4. ZacC80

ZacC80 Member

ok if your going to auckland i suggest u stay out of south auckland. I live in southland which i guess is small compared to anywhere you have been. there are stuck up people here like skinheads but just dont provoke them and you should be fine lol sll in all nz is great hardly any shootings and mostly only weed smokers.

5. ZacC80

ZacC80 Member

oh btw how did u end up liking nz and where did u end up going

6. LauraMay

LauraMay Rainbow Humper

Good luck :)

It's an awesome place. Move to Te Aroha ;)

7. gauravani

gauravani Member

I migrated from USA 35 years ago to avoid WW3. Thank God it has not happened yet but I'm still positive it is not far away. I encourage anyone to get out of US quickly, while they still can. New Zealand is absolutely awesome
    but not without its own version of crack heads, corrupt government & frustatingly ignorant people. But, it is not nearly as bad as what you are experiencing in America and genuinely feel it is still the safest place on the planet to be (although very frustating at times).
    NZ govt. is most willing to accept immigrants qualified in any part of the medical field. What ever is necessary to qualify to migrate to NZ is worth it.
    Auckland is a good place to start from.

8. WintergreenArbre

WintergreenArbre Member

I am going after I finish my doctorate, and I am going to Wellington. Welly has the most industry and the most education centers, so it looks like the best place for work - aka pay off my student loans. :p

9. robotis

robotis Guest

stay away we don't need more people go to australia

10. Si69

Si69 Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Well I lived in Taranaki, North Island, for 8 years. Might still go back but NZ is not a cheap place to live. Sopme things are cheaper than Europe but the wage levels are maybe 40% of the European level, so in the end you will find it expensive as far as disposiable income goes.

Where to live?............ agreed as ZacC80 said, stay out of South Auckland - real problems and violent. Personally I think AKL is revolting - a big sprawl with little public transport, no centre and non-stop traffic jams. If you want to live in a city then Wellington is heaps nicer.

There are some very beautiful places to live but bear in mind they are quite remote. Golden Bay - Takaka in the north of the South Island would be my favourite but you are a long way from anywhere there. Futher south in the higher mountains you are even more remote. And distances are great - may be a small country but there is lots of space and apart from around the three cities, no motorways, so roads are slow and public transport is poor and expensive.

The Kiwis are nice, tho Taranaki and in some rural parts they are quite redneck. I don't wish to be too negative but you are also a long way from anywhere else in the world - even OZ is 3hours fling time.

So, just be aware before you chuck everything up and head down under.

Simon

11. hitman73

hitman73 Member

Fuck Auckland! Christchurch is the way to go. Auckland has a bigger population than the whole South Island!

12. hitman73

hitman73 Member

There isnt a lot of towns in the mountains. Some small ones but mostly people just pass through.

13. dynamohumm

dynamohumm Member

TOO funny....

most kewe's end up in Oz anyway...

and most that move to NZ from O.S, only do so to get a visa to come to Australia...I see it ALL the time.

14. hitman73

hitman73 Member

Well, i wouldnt say most. New Zealand has just over 4 million people in it and there sure isnt that many in Australia. I myself live in the Gold Coast for a couple of years, but am back in NZ. Of the 500,000 in Gold Coast 75,000 were Kiwis. I do believe that is the biggest per head of population than anywhere else in Australia.
    You know the problem with Australians? They seem to think that Australia is the only land in the world. Your very welcome to your heat, spiders, snakes and women with whiny, nasally bloody annoying voices!

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

when i was doing some research on moving abroad I found New Zealand to be much friendlier than european countries towards immigrants. Its difficult to get a work visa in most European nations unless you are from another nation in the European union. New Zealand, from what I understand, will accept you with open arms if you have some kind of job skill to offer them.