Favorite Stouts?

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by Pressed_Rat, May 12, 2004.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

What are some of your favorite stouts?

1)Storm King Imperial Stout (Victory)
    2)Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout
    3)Old Heathen Imperial Stout (Weyerbacher)
    4)Guinness Extra Stout or Draught (nitro-tap version)
    5)Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

2. laugh2

laugh2 Member

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Guiness-non Extra Stout.

3. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

guiness, beamish, and lancaster brewering companies milk stout *yummmy*

4. nesta

nesta Banned

love me some guinness draught, but don't have the opportunity to get it except from the can. probably not their best, but still damn tastey and easy to drink as well...

so what makes something a stout? i'm rather uneducated about beers other than the difference between an ale and lager :p

5. interval_illusion

1. Strong in body; sturdy.
    2. Strong in structure or substance; solid or substantial.
    stouts are dark beers.... sometimes have a creamy or chocolaty taste.

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Stouts are technically ales because they use top-fermenting yeast, which is responsible for the slightly thick, creamy, full-bodied mouthfeel that stouts have. But unlike most ales, stouts rely primarily on dark roasted barley malts which give the beer its distinctive black color, as well as its rich, malty, sometimes coffee or chocolate-like taste (depending on the exact type of malt which is used).

There are a variety of different kinds of stouts; oatmeal stouts, which incorporate oats into the brew, which give the beer a very smooth, silky mouthfeel. Imperial stouts are Russian stouts which are higher in alcohol content (ranging from 8-10% ABV on average). Milk - or sweet stouts - use real milk sugars. Dry stouts use unmalted, roasted barley, etc..

The absolute key ingredient to any variety of stout is dark roasted malts.

Stouts are said to be one of the healthiest types of beers because of their ingredients. A pint of Guinness contains as many nutrients as an entire loaf of bread. Stouts are also great for aiding in digestion, aiding people with insomnia, and aiding in a person's bowel regularity. Because stouts often use a lot of yeast in their brews, they are also very high in vitamin B, which helps to boost the immune system. Aside from this, yeast has been known to significantly lower people's LDL cholesterol levels (the bad cholesterol).

There are many health benefits to a variety of beer styles, though stouts are the most nutritious. They are so healthy that you could substitute an entire meal with a pint or two of Guinness and still get the same nourishment.

7. interval_illusion

how did i know matt would type that.;)

8. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i never had your 1 and 3 selection rat. but i agree w/ the others. i suppose since you have rated them so highly i should check them out

9. sonik

sonik Member

Kilkenny, though I dont think its techincally a stout.

*shrug*

:cool:

10. nesta

nesta Banned

does that also mean that drinking, say, 5 pints in one sitting is like overeating? are they by any chance higher calorie/carb than any other regular beer (not including shit like miller lite and michelob ultra and bud light)

11. MySwt1

MySwt1 Member

my ultimate favorie is left hand's milk stout!!! YUM!!! 2nd would be highland's(asheville, NC) mocha stout

12. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

Free State's Oatmeal Stout is pretty damn good.

13. marisco

marisco Member